America’s meat shortage is more serious than your missing hamburgers - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Last Tuesday when i was buying groceries in a larger town there were plenty of meat but the price had went up some was buying some looking and walking away,meat wasn't the only thing 5 lb red potatoes was $5.
    Goals for 2020
    1-No spend day
    2- No eating out days
    3-getting rid clutter
    4-menu
    5-stockpiling
    6-Grocery budget

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is how much red potatoes cost here usually. and i am in idaho! you would think i could get cheap taters...actually russets usually are cheapso tnat is what i get.

as for meat, i guess i am just unaware. i heard yesterday that there ate bare spots at the meat counter at the local grocery.
    i rarely buy meat at the store so just hadn’tnoticed

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Potatoes are up ..Onions...Carrots..All have gone up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Before the virus i was not paying more then $2. something for red potatoes i use white one some but they were just as high.Everything you can find here has jump in price something more then others.
    Goals for 2020
    1-No spend day
    2- No eating out days
    3-getting rid clutter
    4-menu
    5-stockpiling
    6-Grocery budget

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Target.com seems to have dried beans back in stock. They were unavailable for a while when everyone was in panic mode I guess. I'm getting split peas and navy beans. Have pinto and kidney on hand already. The also have "roman" beans which I have never tried. Still cannot order barley for shipping. Sheesh.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Amazon has tuna cups back in stock.

It is also easier to get grocery delivery slots - at least where I live.

Random things are out. I haven't been able to get green onions for months. It is not a big thing, just odd.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've never bought groceries from Amazon, except emergency yeast due to covid. Their groceries are ridiculously expensive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sure the recent record meat exports to China have absolutely nothing to do with empty shelves in American grocery stores.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    We've never bought groceries from Amazon, except emergency yeast due to covid. Their groceries are ridiculously expensive.
    This must be a another cost of living thing. Amazon Fresh which offers things like meat and fresh fruit is comparable to other grocery delivery services in our area. The regular Amazon food offerings, that is shelf stable things you can get though the mail are generally significantly cheaper than what we can get at the store.

You cannot go by current pricing. Amazon prices for food have went up during the pandemic.

Food is expensive here. We spend around $150 to $200 a week for two people. And that is with making most of our food from scratch. Meat is mostly chicken and ground meat. And stocking up on sale items. We try to eat healthy and we get a lot of fresh veggies. The vegetables alone are almost $40.

I read about people feeding there family for $50 a week. I just don't have words.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Petite Jean meat is the most popular and expense here in AR.i bought a big pkg. bacon at sams it has no bacon taste and no bacon smell while cooking.Never got any meat like this before and that is usually what i buy mighty well cook and old shoe sole have about taste.
    Goals for 2020
    1-No spend day
    2- No eating out days
    3-getting rid clutter
    4-menu
    5-stockpiling
    6-Grocery budget

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Chicken, dairy, and eggs disappeared from the shelves for a bit, but they are back. Luckily, we have a couple of Asian grocery stores in the area, and they stayed fully stocked, so I never went without cream for my coffee!! While everyone was making a run on Walmart and Safeway, the Asian stores were almost empty - maybe the more ignorant people were in COVID panic about anything even remotely tied to the "far east" - and had full shelves. Our state shut down around March 19 (?) and the next week, I was able to make a run to my mother's house with a car full of provisions thanks to those stores!

I tend to do all my shopping via "e-cart" or delivery, even before COVID, and I found that I was getting only about 40% of what I ordered after the shutdown, and I would have to place my order at least a week in advance, because they restricted pick-up times. But the last month or so, even the mainstream stores seem to be back on their feet. I can order the same day and I pretty much get everything on my list.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I find Amazon is more expensive on some things and less on others. I can't get Amazon Fresh (too far in the boonies, I guess), but canned/boxed goods are very often comparable or cheaper than local stores. I typically check Walmart, Target, eBay, and Amazon, as well as two of our local stores, Raleys and Safeway, and buy the best deal. Usually, Walmart beats Amazon, and Amazon beats the local stores and Target. eBay is almost always more expensive.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't have any big box stores here, unless you count DG. We have 2 small local groceries and that's it. Nearest WM and Aldi are 50 miles. No ethnic groceries, drat the luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am trying to get a turkey to put aside for the holidays. I ordered one, via Instacart, through Sprouts. I have had really good luck with the drivers, but I wasn't paying attention to her "chat" so I missed when she told me the turkey was no longer in stock and asked if I wanted to replace with a whole chicken. By the time I saw it, she was checked out and on her way to me. I had to laugh when I picked up the bag. She couldn't find me a whole turkey, so she bought me a package of turkey breasts, a package of turkey wings, and a package of turkey drumsticks. A+ for creativity!

So, having no luck there, I jumped onto my existing e-cart order at Raleys and was able to amend it to add a whole turkey. A friend of mine was passing through and offered to pick up my order for me, since I had already paid for it. He dropped it off and...no turkey. I checked my receipt and found that I had been charged for a turkey. I contacted Raleys and they checked the storage area and found my turkey, lonely and forgotten, waiting for pick up. I am starting to think the universe is working against me!

The plan is that I am going to swing by tomorrow to get the turkey, so fingers crossed!! I usually cook prime rib for Christmas, so that will be the next adventure.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    I am trying to get a turkey to put aside for the holidays.
    I was thinking the same thing last night. I am going to go through the pantry and make sure I have all my staples; stuffing mix, baking goods, seasonings, etc. Make sure I have a fresh baking soda and baking powder, enough molasses and nuts on hand, and so forth. I do not want to be standing in lines or going to multiple stores trying to find stuff. I will probably just get a breast or the two of us though.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast