America’s meat shortage is more serious than your missing hamburgers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default America’s meat shortage is more serious than your missing hamburgers

"Sick workers mean meatpacking plants are shutting down, and these closures are contributing to a deeply disruptive breakdown in the meat supply chain. "

Spoiler: the link is here 
    https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/5/8/21248618/coronavirus-meat-shortage-food-supply-chain-grocery-stores
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you noticed a shortage of meat at stores where you are?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are in the suburbs of Washington DC.

The place I get my groceries delivered from has put limits on how much meat you can get. That might be more of an anti hoarding thing.

We can still get enough to have meat every night. But it is just the two of us. The limits would effect families more.

It also requires more flexibility in what we eat. All the limits are by type. For example we can order two packages of chicken and two packages of sausage. But we could not order four chicken even if we did not get any sausage.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

not yet but think it depends where you live. there are some limits but more for specials then anything else. I think it is just because everyone stopped hoarding. like tp is actually on the shelves maybe not full but at least some and it was on sale at one store. of course yeast and flour limited if there is any. and the funny lack of frozen pizzas... not like you can't make them at home or use wraps etc or just order pizza. every store seems to be different cake mixes in one all gone. just weird because all the food you can actually make stuff out of never was gone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There have been limits here for 3 weeks. Definitely less on shelves. This was Aldi last week:

America’s meat shortage is more serious than your missing hamburgers-img_20200511_121946873.jpg

I bought 2 of those packs of ground lamb on the top shelf.

This morning the chain grocery had chicken and pork at regular prices, nothing on sale and actually I think the prices are a little higher than usual. Ground beef was still 9.39/lb and stew was 12.59/lb! The only other thing they had for beef was tenderloin filet medallions, and I forget what the price was. You could get a whole tenderloin for $79 though. They had a lot of hot dogs and ham, I didn't really look at it. There was bacon at regular prices.

Really the biggest thing affecting us right now is the lack of sales. I'm used to shopping the loss leaders, the 99c chicken and 1.99 ground beef, 3/5 bacon and 99c eggs, and I haven't seen prices like that in 2 months.

There are weird gaps on the shelves. Like I've noticed cream cheese is gone. Paper plates are vanishing. There are no canned crescent rolls. Yeast comes and goes. And yeah, frozen pizza, because a lot of people can't cook.

OTOH, there is plenty of fish and shrimp in freezer cases here. Being so far from the coast it is not really popular here and people are not rushing to stockpile any. I noticed back in March after the first panic cleared out the freezer cases that shrimp was one of the things left.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tell people that there is a shortage of fish and shrimp and then there will be none on the shelves!
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wonder how much is "panic" and how much is "shortage" or maybe trouble getting the meat from where it is to where it needs to be. So complicated.
    I'm one of the lucky few who still has access to local meat cutters who can sell small packages. Lots of independent butchers only do speciality cuts like butchering a whole cow or deer for you, but we've got a university meat lab close by and the students are gone but it costs money to keep feeding the livestock so they are butchering. Several local meat lockers are still able to sell small cuts as well. My brother in iowa called a locker to have a cow butchered adn coudln't get it done until october! Usually he only has to wait a couple of weeks but I guess people panicked...there is still plenty of meat in the stores if you aren't picky about how thick you want your steak or are willing to dice up a roast for stew.

I barely remember the "meat shortage" in the 1970s or early 80s when I was a kid. It must have been under president carter. People panic bought and ended up wasting more according to an anthropology or sociology study at the time. Announce a shortage and you will have a shortage! At least here the TP and papertowels are off rationing. I bet lots of people haven't had to buy any for weeks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieTru View Post
    I wonder how much is "panic" and how much is "shortage" or maybe trouble getting the meat from where it is to where it needs to be. So complicated.
    Like the article says, the closure of many meat packing plants is affecting supply. The cows, pigs and chickens are there, waiting.... until they get too big or the farmer decides it is costing more in feed than he is going to make selling them...

Wasn't anybody rushing to buy that $9 ground beef today. I saw people looking, and walking away.

We have some small butcher shops here, but their supplies are dwindling. The one I usually go to has a full display case, but way less variety.

I don't remember the beef shortage of the 70's, though I lived through it, I don't think my parents ever talked about it. I did read an article about how they had found well-preserved packages of steak and other foods buried in landfills of the time. People bought it and didn't use it or freeze it and it ended up wasted. Those landfills never decay, they are sealed off from the air and the organisms that break down garbage.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I belong to several FB groups similar to FV. I'm reading of $6 a dozen eggs.. Plain old eggs. Hamburger 73/27 almost $10 a lb. Not even 80/20.
    What I'm seeing here in central Fl is $6 a lb for 80/20.
    I got chicken at Aldi a couple weeks ago boneless skinless breasts for 1.89. I also picked up 3 pkgs hamburger at 3.29 lb. Each pk was 3.25 lbs.

Right now at Sav A Lot they are 2.39 whereas couple weeks ago 2.19.
    I don't think pork increased much. I really didn't look close cause I have a lot. Biggest hit is beef.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

and I think it depends what is normal for your area. .cheapest eggs not the best is $3 a dozen. most are $5 a dz. we have a tp manufacturer in town and it was on the news for a tour and the manager said this isn't normal people only use so much tp a year so all the stuff bought in a panic will even out when people buy less and use up. think if the stores stopped people from buying so much at first this wouldn't have happened because now the places are playing catchup. but i know a few stores..the managers cared more about profits from the people going nuts buying then the stressed out employees. and then all the stores got restricted w the amount of customers so the sales are down anyways but they can't cut back employees and keep the requirements for spacing , directing them etc.

I don't remember a beef shortage but was young. did remember a coffee shortage in the 70s because my dad bought like 12 cans of coffee so it was just odd to have so much on a shelf.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our market has plant based "meat" on sale this week. A certain hot dog and certain ground beef too, but the "sale" is $1 off a package. There are limits on quantities for meat.

I don't remember a beef shortage in the 70's either. I remember a gas shortage as a kid and watched it on tv. I remember Dad trying to find gas and driving around....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I shopped last Sunday, didn't even look at meat but bought eggs, still 89 cents a dozen.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello, Dearies, Long Time No See!

Here is what I am seeing in Annapolis, Maryland. (Maryland is being hit HARD by the virus, lots of things still closed, mandatory masks... etc)

Eggs- Available, most stores back to normal prices, limit 2.
    Toilet paper- Hit-or-miss... You can find if if you look around, but it will be low-quality and/or overpriced.
    Yeast- Nope, not yet, I have a bunch I ordered from the internet before it sold out
    Meat... Hahaha. depends on where you look and what you're willing to pay... We are definitely seeing bare spots and shortages
    Tofu: Oddly enough, this supply has been spotty! Who'd've thunk?
    Dried beans... apparently somebody is hoarding these, because supplies are spotty in a lot of stores...
    Hand sanitizer... you can get crazy expensive big bottles from companies that usually make booze... otherwise, not available
    Flour: comes and goes...
    Bread products: plenty o' plenty... apparently that particular panic is behind us for now...

Unfortunately, I have to balance my morbid curiousity (I could nerd-out on economics-of-nutrition for dayyyysss) against "shelter-in-place" and stay home orders.

MEATS:
    80% lean GB, conventional, nothing special: All 3 stores had decent supply, probably because nobody wants to overbuy at these prices!
    Aldi: $3.49/lb-- best deal I've seen...they had higher/lower grades, but I didn't look closely at those
    Safeway:80% lean GB 4.79/lb, $5.79lb, depending on whether you bought the "small" pack or the "value" pack.
    Commissary: Normally would be low, due to them being a surplus outlet... but no surplus right now... $5.73/lb...

Whole Chicken:
    Aldi: only had the organic kind, $2.49/lb
    Safeway: Tyson's/Perdue (conventional) $2.49lb. Mystery packer on white Styrofoam, $1.99/lb Tons and tons...
    Commissary: not available

Chicken Breasts:
    Aldi: $1.89/lb
    Safeway: (mystery packer) !SALE! $2.99/lb
    Commissary: not available

Pot Roast:
    Aldi: not available
    Safeway: $6.69/lb (slightly higher than average)
    Commissary: $8.13/lb

Bottom line: Commissary usually procures "surplus," and there isn't any right now, so prices are more in line with the off-base stores... which is PAINFUL to military families, but we'll get by. Aldi is doing a GREAT job. Safeway is the devil.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

duplicate... some things never change!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zhoen View Post
    Hello, Dearies, Long Time No See!

Tofu: Oddly enough, this supply has been spotty! Who'd've thunk?

Hello!

I have noticed some of the specialty (vegetarian, gluten free, keto, etc) foods are in short supply. I think they produce in far smaller volumes than national brands. When everything got snatched up a couple months ago they weren't able to completely restock everywhere.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast