Thanksgiving in a pandemic means smaller birds, fewer leftovers
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Thanksgiving in a pandemic means smaller birds, fewer leftovers

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...ewer-leftovers

"The cost of a typical Thanksgiving meal has risen 3.7% from a year ago to about $55.27, according to Nielsen. Normally, foods including Thanksgiving items rise by 1% to 2% each year, Nielsen data showed.

Food manufacturers say they can't justify discounts when demand is already beyond their production capacity. Executives say their operating costs have risen during the pandemic, with purchases of protective equipment for factory workers, pay for employees on sick leave and higher prices for commodities and transportation."
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Most of what I need for Thanksgiving is already in my stockpile. I just bought two bags of cranberries on sale, and a large bag of potatoes. It will be a simple meal of the favorites. I roast a chicken instead of a turkey.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since common sense guidelines indicate we need to only share Thanksgiving with our own household, it will be the 2 of us. I will make a hotdish with chicken, cream soup, and stuffing on top, coleslaw, etc. Therefore, not worried about costs. It pains me we can't be with my 92 yo mom who will be alone, but we have to be in contact with others this week and it's much better she is alone for one day than us possibly dragging covid to her and losing her forever. It will be pretty much an ordinary day for us, but we're all looking forward to summer in hopes Independence Day 2021 will have a double meaning for our entire nation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanksgiving is kind of a normal day for us too. We eat good homemade food almost every day, so the meal is not a big thing.

I don't have an extended family in this part of the country.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CDC is now recommending no travel for Thanksgiving, and if people must travel, to quarantine and wear a mask at their destination even in the house. Of course plenty of people will completely ignore that for whatever justifications they can come up with.

Projections now are for 470,000 dead by March 1, but that's if 40 states embrace mitigation guidelines and get hardcore about it. If we don't do any more than we have been, projections are for over 600,000 dead.

It boggles the mind that people can't wear a mask to avoid this horrific outcome, which is all but sure to break our health care system along the way.
    Thanksgiving in a pandemic means smaller birds, fewer leftovers-img_20201117_085820_1605879602272.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am finding I have no patience for people who won't wear a mask or follow the guidelines....I see people traveling and planning big family gathering....they have the "it won't happen to me" attitude....what is wrong with people???? Or, the ones who had the virus and telling everyone it's nothing....maybe to them, but to someone older and those with health problems it's a big deal!!! Unbelievable.....

I have everything except the ham and was planning on cooking for the two of us but my daughter said she is dropping off our dinner....

SD I'm sorry you can't be with your Mom but you are right...better to protect her....

Have a safe Thanksgiving....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Same here.
    I prefer to do thanksgiving alone every year and this year I don't have any pending invitations so that's easier for me.
    As for what I will make..
    I have SO MUCH stock because it IS the very end of harvest including game harvest, that I have no need to purchase a thing for thanksgiving. I was looking up a recipe today for chocolate pudding using arrowroot because I'm out of cornstarch but have arrowroot I forgot about. Was just given 10 jars of deer meat (shared some out), and a pound or 2 of frozen elk, and a smoked duck and a plain frozen duck (good thing we got a bigger freezer at work!). I did order a few rolls from the local artisanal baker for exta delicious left over sandwiches or dipping in left over stew no matter what I make. Since I'm home that day, probably a hearty stew on the woodstove in the dutch oven. I tested a stove top sort of cobbler thing today...apples stewed with honey and spices, then topped with a thick dumpling/cobbler type batter to soak up the extra juice. It was pretty good. Would be better with a bit of a crusty top or a sweeter dough but still really good. Then the chocolate pudding if I can pull it off with some homemade sunflower seed or flax milk.

I also have a big box of food from a second harvest distribution with rice and beans, pasta and sauce, lots of mixed veggies cans and cans of low sugar fruits. So...could even do a peach buckle or fruit cocktail in jello if I want to rock it Iowa style (where I grew up). (I might do that fruit cocktail in jello because just thinking about it makes me laugh).
    I don't have the space to roll out a pie dough and can't use someone else's kitchen this year so it's all "what can I mix in my big measuring cup and pour in a pan/container" for dessert.
    I DID make a really nice roasted pumpkin inside the woodstove a few weeks back so plan to do squash inside the wood stove.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We were to go to our son's for Thanksgiving, and he cancelled it because they have sick kids, and we have a house full of kids too, so we were watching to see what happened. I had enough bonus points to get a free turkey and went to pick it up. I couldn't find a small one. I ended up with a 20 pounder and that was the smallest I could find without digging further. ( trying to limit my time in the stores) I also get irritated by those who use their masks to make sure their chins do not fall off. What is the point of using it if you are not going to use it properly. If you can't use the mask properly, then stay home. problem solved.