Angel Food Ministries - Page 2
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I understand all that....we eat pretty simply too, and I never met a leftover I didn't like! But what about breakfast for 3 kids and lunches? Do they eat school lunches, or do you pack them? And snacks? And I know you said you eat those frozen diet dinners? I can easily spend 20.00 week on fresh fruit/produce/milk for just dh and I...so I was just wondering. We also do not eat processed or boxed food, except cereal. And dh takes his lunch to work every day. Maybe food prices are a lot lower where you live?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm still wondering how you feed a family of 5 even showing what you've shown.

You said you don't have the kids home eating during the week. Does that mean your kids are only there on the weekend. If that is so, then it would be a whole lot easier. You have 2 teens and one a bit younger, I can't imagine them not wanting to eat as most teens do.

I'm with mermaid, what about breakfast? What about snacks, fruits & veggies?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You make a good point.... The kids eat lunch at school well atleast my daughter does, my son doesn't and my middle son well he goes to school at night so he eats PB&J or Ramen Noodles for lunch (they are his favorite).

I dont eat those diet meals anymore, that was when I was dieting.

Snacks? That's an easy one, I buy them wholesale or cheap at Ollie's bargain outlet... they have teddy grahams the big bags for 99cents, or chex mix for 99cents too! Pretzels we love and they are only .59cents a bag!

I am in PA, I dont think everyone has an Ollies, but I also shop at Aldi's too for fruit snacks (which I hardly buy) or juice mix, but I also shop the reduced isle in my supermarket FIRST, I got a large container of Iced Tea mix for $1.00 and it makes like 36 quarts!

We do however also drink alot of water from the filtered tap water. Oh! Breakfast, french toast, pancakes and cereal (Ollies has those 3 box bundles of cereal for $3.49 that's only $1.16 a box! It lasts us about a week for the 3 boxes, my son usually makes pancakes or something (isn't he sweet) we buy the syrup with a coupon and last time I remember paying 50cents for a Mrs. Butterworths bottle!

Tracy

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you homesteadmamma. I thought it was just me and didn't want to come across like I was arguing or doubting her. I had teenage girls and they could eat as much as dh, and constantly!!! The youngest one was not a meat eater...but the oldest would eat anything that didn't move fast enough to escape her! Just keeping fuit in the house was a challenge! I have never bought junk food (pop/chips/etc) so that wasn't where the food budget went. I cook 95% from scratch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have the kids all the time, Here's our days:

- Kids wakeup eat breakfast
    - Kids go to school
    - DH and I eat lunch (mostly leftovers)
    - Kids come home, oldest son goes to work with hubby
    - Daughter gets home from school has some pretzels, etc...
    - Middle son goes to school at night
    - I cook dinner
    - Middle son comes home
    - Me, DS and DD, eat dinner
    - DH and DS come home from work, eat dinner

I know your not doubting me, I dont know how I do it, but I am picky really, meaning if my DS comes home and says we have no food, I tell him to check the freezer or fridge, WE HAVE FOOD! I wont go out an buy something just for him, he has to eat what's made.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Stacey, you still haven't mentioned veggies or fruits. I don't mean fruit juices, I mean fresh fruit and fresh veggies.

I also know that with 3 adults and 2 teens in my home that if I gave them peanut butter & jam sandwiches every lunch, I would have a revolt on my hands. We need to have variety here in our home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We eat fruits and veggies too! I said the veggies in the soup! We eat canned veggies mostly. (Remember I shop the reduced isles in the supermarket!)

The kids dont always have PB&J I was giving an example, they eat leftovers from last night, soup, egg salad sandwich, tuna fish, etc... but all those are not expensive items.

I also mentioned before I go to the local food pantry as well, once a month, those months I dont even hit $75 in food that I have to buy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All I have to say is although some of you may DOUBT it, I do stay under $100 a month in food, it can be done and we have 2 adults, 2 teenagers and 1 pre-teen.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Going to the local food pantry would certainly make a difference in how much you spend per month on groceries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tracy,

I don't think anyone was *doubting* you....I just don't think we all understood that you also receive food from a food pantry, and that would make a pretty big difference. Also, I think I personally was factoring in more fresh fruit/salads/veggies because I would have a revolt on *my* hands if we didn't eat those things regularly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let me also say that I dont go to the food pantry every month, I think I worded that wrong before, I usually go once every 3 months, but they provide alot of canned food/veggies, jello, cereal, etc.. stuff that wont get bad in a month or so.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

(1) 3 lb. Brd. Chicken Breast Filets
    (1) 1 lb. Fully Cooked Meatballs
    (1) 1 lb. Ground Turkey
    (1) 2lbs. Chicken Wings
    (1) 1 lb. Ground Beef
    (1) 12 oz. Smoked Sausage
    (1) 28 oz. Pasta Sauce
    (1) 1 lb. Pasta
    (1) 15oz. Baked Beans
    (1) 16 oz. Corn
    (1) 16 oz. Peas
    (1) 1 lb. Carrots
    (1) 1 lb. Rice
    (1) Dozen Eggs
    (1) Dessert Item

This is what I'd pay in my area for the same products on sale...not even a loss leader sale....just a weekly sale. Mostly I rounded up a penny or 2.

I wouldn't buy ground turkey because we think it's yuck & double yuck.The pie, I'd make at home with my home canned pumpkin & it would be practically free...same with the pasta sauce.....last batch cost me $2 for 12 QUARTS.I made a pie last week.

At first, I was getting jealous....we don't have an AFM here in Nebraska, but after second thought....this is what I usually pay for these products anyway.

Oh, and I don't buy hot pockets or breaded breasts, either, but I was just at Sam's yesterday looking at the prices because I feel so sick all the time, I thought that packaged meals would be easier on me. I ended up getting fish sticks shaped chicken nuggets & that's it.I'm not *that* sick. Besides, sandwiches won't kill 'em for a couple more weeks. LOL!

So, I'd have gotten away with $8 less

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know what allthe blank space was & I can;t get it to edit out. sorry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I was crazy frugal & had a good stocked pantry, I figure the meals that this would make would last me 13 days.....give or take a day....not including breakfast & most lunch...just dinner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by mom22grls
    If I was crazy frugal & had a good stocked pantry, I figure the meals that this would make would last me 13 days.....give or take a day....not including breakfast & most lunch...just dinner.
    I probably wouldn't be able to make it last for 13 days Jamee. With the way my kids eat, it might last 10 if I had a really good stockpile.

One thing I do have to say, if this was during gardening season time though, I would be able to stretch it a whole lot longer, probably a month. When it's gardening season time, we eat from the garden as much as possible.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast