Angel Food Ministries - Page 4
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am with i.m. cheap to much sodium and unhealthy stuff. We are not low income and do not eat very many convience foods. I cook from scratch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did it last month. I don't think the stuff we got was high fat, it was a lot of frozen chicken, about 5 lbs worth, some frozen veggies (carrots and corn) a package of corn bread mix, dried beans, rice, a few other things. Oh and the dessert item was those Pilsbury bars, those are fatty but there was only one of them. Definately worth $25.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I participate in the AFM every month. Its a great and economical way to stock a pantry.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've used it once before, I am waiting to see if we've been accepted for foodstamps, then I can use them at AngelFood Ministries

Also, it doesnt matter about income, if a person no matter how much they make is trying to save or be frugal then this is perfect for them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Bulk buying is one of the reason prices are low. So, if you order a package, you're HELPING them get the low prices.

Another reason is a lot of volunteer labor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

if we had it around here i would do it. around here,to use those programs you have to be on welfare or have a drug problem or be involved in dss,i am none of those. but hey i could use it too. getting a hand is not just for some,it should be for all who need it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

it's open to everyone - if you call your local organizer, they will tell you the same - it's not based on income - so if you want to try it, GO FOR IT

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've used it and SHARE. Our SHARE program isn't here anymore but there were not that many high fat or unhealthy things included in the share. We always got fresh produce and eggs along with some soups and such.

Angelfood ministries is an excellent program. We do it to help ours stay in business. Any breaded chicken goes to the 2 poor college students I know who love the things! I always have a use for beans and rice plus there are always egg beaters which we use.

The meat does have solution but then so does at least 75% the meat sold on the market unless you are paying premium prices for meat. Shopping at Walmart and several other national chain stores will get you meat shot up with carbon dioxide to extend it's life, which has been resulting in horrible quality meat issues. You can tell by way of it's packaging. So I'm thinkin' the solution issues don't bother me since the meat is frozen.

There is also frozen veggies included. Not all of the food will meet everyone's requirements but it is a good program for those that need it. I would say buy it and then supplement from the garden or farmer's market with fresh produce.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've done Angel Food Ministries several months and always LOVE it! We didn't this month, but only because my freezers and pantry and SOOOOO stuffed with Angel Food stuff and the tons of free milk and bread that I've stocked up on with coupons lately.

Anyway, I think it's wonderful and I have even gotten several people into it! The organization donates a box of free food to needy families for every.... I think 25 boxes that they sell?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is a great program and at my distribution site there is a box for unwanted items. People donate things they won't use or their family doesn't eat and it is given to the needy free of charge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We eat very healthy, and that is part of the reason, why our grocery bill was $600 last month. I also by alot of steaks, the steak specials alone seem worht it for us. Some of that stuff I would never use, but dh can make it when I am not home, and my parents would take it as well, I just think for the meat and veggies, as well as dairy and eggs alone, I can't beat that price. I have my own garden, which is in full swing now, so all of my tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, zuchinni, and peppers come from it. I buy about half of the normal veggies and all of my fruit still, I use the farmers market, but will start using the commissary to save some more $$.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, I wouldn't. I've looked at both Angel Food and SHARE a couple of times, but that's just not the way we eat -- way too much processed food. I'm very uncomfortable giving food to others that I would not eat myself, so donating what I did not want would not be an option for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

we have a similar program in our state. I tried it and did not care for it. The food was not as fresh as I like. However Angelfood sounds better. I would use it.

Katy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have looked at this several times, but the food they offer is not that great of a deal, and even if it was we wouldn't eat most of it.

The OP listed a box of food for the month, there were only select items that we would eat, so for us it's rather poor deal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The more people that purchase the angel food, the more easily they will be able to get low-cost food. As the demand rises, the cost per unit decreases. You would actually be helping by purchasing angel food. The nice thing is that these items are tax free, and you are wasting less because you won't leave with a ton of little plastic bags, you have to bring your own basket.

JMO.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast