What is everyone using for math next year?!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What is everyone using for math next year?!?

My DD will be in the 3rd grade next school year. I have yet to decide on a math program for her. We started out using Saxon 2 this year and we hated it. My DS uses Saxon 5/4 and loves it. Just goes to show you the differences in learning styles. I'm actually leaning towards workbooks, especially the one put out by Spectrum. I figured I could supplement with printable worksheets if I need to.

Any suggestions?

Stephanie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Horizons Math for my rising 3rd grader. It presents math in a spiral approach with a lot of colorful graphics. This will be our third year with it. She likes it and has been able to pick up on a lot of her math independently with it. The price is about equal to the Spectrum books, maybe a little less.

For my rising 1st grader we are going to keep the approach we have been using this year: manipulatives, games and a few worksheets here and there. Around Christmas, I'll re-evaluate her readiness for more structure and may start Horizon's with her then. Currently she can do what is considered "1st grade" math, but balks at structured lessons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Developmental Math has been great for my kids. They learn one mathmatical operation at a time before they move on. I order through cdb.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we're using saxon 5/4 for my 4th grade DD this year, but we used Spectrum workbooks for 3rd grade. The Spectrum books are good, but I feel there needs to be more review included. You could easily do that with extra practice from online, that you make up yourself, etc. The Spectrum books are also topical in style, you delve into one topic, then move on to the next -with no continuing review.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We use Singapore Math for my guys.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We use mastery publications! We love it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm looking at Lifepac Gold Mathematics Grade 9 for dd (13). Anyone have any experience w/ the Lifepac sets? I'm looking at Lifepac for all areas actually...

I really like the MathUSee but I'm not sold on spending that much for just math.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are using Time4learning.com for DS and I am not 100% sure of what the private instructor who teaches DD is using for her. I just know she will be doing Algebra II with trig.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeMom View Post
    I'm looking at Lifepac Gold Mathematics Grade 9 for dd (13). Anyone have any experience w/ the Lifepac sets? I'm looking at Lifepac for all areas actually...

Heather, we used the 8th and 9th grade level LifePac series for all of DD's classes our first year we home schooled. We were not very happy with it. DD actually only used it for about two months then we switched.

On the other hand, I have a friend who home schools her three boys (ages 12-17) and they all love it. She has been using the LifePac series exclusively since her boys started and swears by it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmm. I guess I'll try it. If I don't like it, I'll just resell it. They're pretty cheap to get used. Even brand new isn't bad. But it would get uber expensive if I were doing all four kids.

Still contemplating homeschooling the younger two in the future.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbellj2228 View Post
    We use mastery publications! We love it!
    I love their concept but $130 is alot to shell out at one time and I don't even know if she'll like it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We get our curriculum free from the school system. I hadn't really thought about supplementing with my own purchases.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another vote for Singapore, here.

My son loves it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're trying something new next year for my 4th grader. It's called Aleks Math. It is an online course and it is tailored to your child. It's 20/mo or $100 for 6 mo. We'll try it for a month first. then we'll see. He did a 3 hour trial and really loved it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still using Saxon3, will go to 5/4 in the fall. We love it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We started with Saxon. The kids liked it, but I hated the scripted aspect of it. I also couldn't devote that much time each day to math! (I've now got 3 grade school age and 1 preschool age that I'm homeschooling, in addition to a 17mo old. )

We've been using Modern Curriculum Presss (MCP) for a year and a half. We really like it. The teacher additions have great supplemental material. The workbooks focus on learning one new skill -- incrementally moving from easier to more challenging work as one progresses through each unit -- per unit. At the end of each unit is a "chapter checkup" followed by a review of all previous skills presented. There are more problem solving opportunities than with Saxon.

Most days, I can now get all 3 big kids done with math within an hour -- and they're learning and enjoying it. With Saxon, I was spending most of the morning on math, and I was going nuts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast