Making the BIG Move (to college)!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Making the BIG Move (to college)!

Okay, this year I'm moving both my girls 5 hours away to college.

I'm annoyed that for some stupid reason they set the move-in date for Freshman on a Wed. I'm annoyed because since it's mid-week, it's going to be much more expensive... grrr at the person who didn't think of this.

So, I've been looking into ways to reduce the costs. The girls are going to have more stuff to move than we can cram into 2 cars. Last year we moved my oldest in an SUV. But, that's not going to work to move both of them this year. We had discussed perhaps renting a moving truck... but at $217 for the rental and 10/mpg, I looked for other options.

I think I'm going to rent a pickup from Enterprise, but since I have to drive it back... it looks like I'll only save about $20 on the rental and mileage will be about the same cost. So... I'm just not sure.

I'll need a hotel room for the 4 of us to be comfortable the first night and for hubby to rest in while we move and recover from moving the 2nd night before driving home on day 3. I have a free night with Drury and I can get the King with the sleeper sofa. It'll only cost me $140 total with tax for both nights. That sounds high but Drury has great amenities and is not much more than other nearby hotels (remember, this is mid-week rate).

I can pack a cooler and Drury has a fridge and microwave in the room (free hot breakfast and happy hour - with alcohol).

What else can I do to reduce the cost of this move? I don't know anyone with a truck who won't need it for three days (maybe if it were the weekend.... did I say grrrrr?).

Any other tips? We're moving the youngest in to the fifth floor. The oldest can't move in to her room for 3 days (or pay $30/day for moving in early) so they'll move her in after we head home. I'll take a dolly... what else?
    Last edited by suki; 07-25-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck with the move. Moving in the middle of the week seems like a pain. The guy I work with is leaving for Seminary and he has to move in on the Wed. prior to classes starting the following Monday as well.

Hope all goes well for you all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. Last year, Freshman moved in on Saturday and had orientation the following week while the upperclasses moved in the following weekend. I really don't know why they changed it.

As a result, the rental vehicle is more expensive (weekend would be 1/2 price) and the hotel room is more expensive. Due to the distance and move-in starting at 8 am... we have to stay in a hotel.

I'm just trying to think of ways to do this as inexpensively as possible.

Anyone else moving kiddos off this year?
    Last edited by suki; 07-26-2008 at 09:01 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When we moved our son in we rented a van and it worked out well. You'll be surprised how little you have to really move in, there are usually students there to help you move in and they have a cart to load things into. Usually you park near the door & pile your stuff up and a bunch of kids from the dorm will decend upon you and help you get everything up to your room while one person stays with the rest 'til they come back. Not sure if every school does that but ds's they did.

Good luck & I know how emotional all this is. Big Mom to Mom hug. :hug:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Moving two is going to be tough. I'm not even thinking about driving away, leaving them both there... yet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are helping two move in, but only one belongs to us. LOL

A friend of our son is staying with us, because his parents had to move to Alabama before it was time for him to go to college.

They are only going to be 2 1/5 hours away, and with what the school provides, they are taking the bare minimums.

Clothes, computers (laptops, less room), small printer and just HBA items. I know my son is taking his guitar and his friend is thinking of renting a truck to take his motorcycle (not sure if he wants to ride it down), but other than that, we are using a minivan, my compact little car and possibly the truck.

They have to be there by the 14th of August, so it will be during the week also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do girls take more?

We pared down my oldest's packing last year and still had an SUV full. She didn't bring it all home, but wants to take more stuff from home this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by suki View Post
    Do girls take more?

We pared down my oldest's packing last year and still had an SUV full. She didn't bring it all home, but wants to take more stuff from home this year.

being a girl, I would say "yes!" LOL

Another difference might be that they have "quad" housing with a shared living room with a kitchen.

Of course, we might find out that he should have taken more with him... we will just have to wait and see.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

At my son's college, we were able to request an earlier move in date.
    Borrowed a pick up truck for free. Filled up the tank (they were happy with that) and it was still cheaper.

We didn't need a third person (I left my husband at home.. seems he was 'tired' of moving MY children to college!- eh...he was replaced with a hardworking two-wheeler! ) so.. it was me and him. I slept on the floor of the dorm. Nobody noticed or cared. !

Maybe you can do that too?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You might consider mailing some packed boxes either UPS or regular mail. In the long run it might be alot cheaper than using two vehicles.

We had family visiting from Italy, and they went crazy in Target's with the sales. So instead of worrying about carrying it all back on the plane, they shipped a couple of HUGE boxes at a surprisingly low cost. Maybe that'll work for you too!

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by suki View Post
    Do girls take more?

Usually they do but my son was an exception I guess,lol. He wanted his big stereo & the futon and the ... People were remarking on how he had alot of stuff, lol. He may be a frugal guy but he likes his creature comforts.

How you doing Suki? I went thru this a couple years ago & really relied on these ladies to help me through & they sure did. (calm down guys, you weren't here then :nernie: )
    Mine both moved out at the same time and since I was a sahm my job was them and my roll in life was changed forever. I came to grips with it,lol, and the tears eventually stopped. You are so happy for them, know this is the way it's supposed to be but it's just bittersweet as this really does change so much.

Last edited by Darlene; 07-29-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm doing all right. I'll be fine until the drive back home in the empty car.

Last year, moving my oldest in was an interesting experience. So, I'm somewhat prepared... but, I know this will be altogether different.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia View Post
    You might consider mailing some packed boxes either UPS or regular mail. In the long run it might be alot cheaper than using two vehicles.

We had family visiting from Italy, and they went crazy in Target's with the sales. So instead of worrying about carrying it all back on the plane, they shipped a couple of HUGE boxes at a surprisingly low cost. Maybe that'll work for you too!

Theresa
    This is exactly what I was thinking. It might be cheaper and save a lot of rrom to UPS some of the stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My son has to move into his dorm on a Tuesday, so we're in the same mid-week boat. I don't necessarily think boys have less "stuff" than girls, just different stuff. We'll be lugging along 2 guitars, an amp, trumpet, microwave, television, senseo, and then the rest of the stuff he really does need. LOL. His roommate is bringing the sofa, game system, loft bed, his guitar, his amp.....this should be interesting.