Putting children into daycare for the short term
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Putting children into daycare for the short term

Hi all,

I had decided that come August 2009, I was going back to school to get my two-year degree. I'm perfectly fine with this change in my life and my family supports me.

My dilemma right now is how to go about doing daycare for two kids, one of which is developmentally disabled. We have one vehicle and while there are plenty of at-home daycares in my area, I'm primarily concerned with care for my eldest (the disabled one). I'm looking at both kids being in school full-time, meaning they're going between 8am and 3:30pm. I can fit in a full-time school schedule with those hours. The trouble? The school that our youngest goes to is on a modified schedule. He'd be going to school at 8:30 and come home at 3:30pm, but he's only going to school like that four days a week. The fifth day, well, it's mornings only.

I'm sort of scared because my eldest disabled son doesn't really handle being in new places all that well after a while. If he gets bored, he ends up being a little hard to handle. My youngest is awesome when it comes to new things.

Any advice for this jittery situation?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, since you've given yourself a year to prepare, I think you are starting out great. Do research on what's available in your area. Then, start them in the daycare in July so that they can get used to it. Maybe start out a few days a week, then build up. Maybe go with them at the beginning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe you could look into having someone come into your home one day a week??? You are just looking for someone for the friday right?? Maybe there is a retired person in your area that would like to bring in a little extra money.......

Since you have a year that would give you plenty of time to find someone, check them out (background check, ect...), and have them get to know your kids.

Good Luck,
    leezza

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Is there a way for you to obtain your degree online or at least partially online?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMcDowell View Post
    Is there a way for you to obtain your degree online or at least partially online?
    I know that the school I plan on going to has a program where you can do the first year online and the second is just the labs, but I'm not sure how my GI Bill funding would work with that.

I might take up the suggestion on putting them into daycare in July, just need to find out about funding and stuff since daycare around here would be about 1200/mo for just one child.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd check on it. My GI bill paid full-time for the duration of my onlne classes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMcDowell View Post
    I'd check on it. My GI bill paid full-time for the duration of my onlne classes.
    Ooooh, you're a lifesaver! I'll have to contact the college and see how they accept GI Bill payments anyways, that's just something extra to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My advice is to do ALOT of research. You want to make sure that your children get the proper care. Many daycares can handle disabilities and others have never experienced it. Just ask many questions and even give different scenarios and ask how they would respond. As for the oldest transitioning into a new enviornment, the daycare should set up some sort of transition plan. Just like the others said, you should start out early and do a slow transition.
    Danielle wife to Brandon

Ava 7/3/12

Dog mom to: Boost Bruiser Roxy

Debt:
    Student Loan - Paid in full February 2017!
    Car loan - Paid in full Dec 2015!
    Mortgage - $38000

Emergency Fund: $5800
    Change jar ???
    Ava's Savings - $4200

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What about trying to schedule your classes so that you get that 5th day off??
    You'll be able to stay at home, study & such for a few hours before picking up your son since he only has half days.

ALSO, what about taking some classes online??
    That can definitely give you a LOT of flexibility in your schedule.

Do you "NEED" be on full time hours for college (ie, financial aid, etc?) ???
    If not, then I'd create a flexible enough schedule to work around this.

Otherwise... do you have family/friends who could pick him up for a couple hours until you get there to pick him back up?

If you're not taking classes until NEXT summer, do you even know the availability of the classes you'd like to begin?
    Most colleges, even 2 yr colleges, don't have that far advanced set.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by perSue View Post
    What about trying to schedule your classes so that you get that 5th day off??
    You'll be able to stay at home, study & such for a few hours before picking up your son since he only has half days.

ALSO, what about taking some classes online??
    That can definitely give you a LOT of flexibility in your schedule.

Do you "NEED" be on full time hours for college (ie, financial aid, etc?) ???
    If not, then I'd create a flexible enough schedule to work around this.

Otherwise... do you have family/friends who could pick him up for a couple hours until you get there to pick him back up?

If you're not taking classes until NEXT summer, do you even know the availability of the classes you'd like to begin?
    Most colleges, even 2 yr colleges, don't have that far advanced set.

Good luck!
    The scheduling thing I can try but the degree I'm going for requires some lab work, I believe. I need to check it out some more and do my research. If I want to not pay out of my own pocket for the rest of my degree, I need to get it done before August 2011 because that's when my GI Bill stops giving me funding. We have no family in the area so it's mainly me and DH doing all the leg work with this.

All I know at the moment is what school I want to go to, the degree program I'm shooting for and the fact that I need to find suitable daycare for both of them that's within walking distance of either my house or the train line.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, well, I'd do a lotta research on what places/people are within your route who can help.

Even if it's a couple trips at a time... maybe a trip walking between classes your child(ren) from one place to the other (to lessen expense or whatever)... you can try to schedule that.

That's the great thing about college is YOU choose what classes and times YOU want.
    And, if you can, what about scheduling some time after your kids' school to walk 'em home or whatever... maybe have a snack together, and go back for an evening class?

Have a couple hours in between so you can do that and maybe make a simple dinner, or get it started til DH gets home to finish it.
    Then you can have dinner either before you leave again (eve. class) or after you get home... (quiet time w/dh?)

Keep researching... you'll find something that will suit you.
    And if it's a 2 year degree... you got LOTS of time til your GI runs out

Besides, the older the kids get (w/each year), the easier all this will become...

Perhaps it's the "new start" and "change" that has you more worried than creating a work-'round?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So here is the school I plan on going to:

SAIT - http://www.sait.ca

The program I'm shooting for is called Network Technician, which is classified as a 32-week fast track certificate. Here's a brief description:

* 32-week fast-track certificate
    * Fall and winter starts
    * 8-week practicum

Network Technician program is an intensive 32-week certificate program designed to prepare learners for computer networking design, maintenance and support fields. Technically focusing on Cisco, Microsoft, open source technologies and operating systems, this program emphasizes key industry requirements such as security, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and effective troubleshooting. Through hands-on, practical assignments, learners gain experience solving technical problems and providing solutions on time and within scope. Learners will be fully prepared to challenge the CCNA, CompTIA A+ and MCP certification exams. The eight-week work term solidifies the classroom experience and prepares learners to launch into or continue their IT career.

After 24 weeks of formal instruction, the 8-week practicum will solidify the learning and prepare the learner for employment in computer networking.

With all that, I can squeeze the program into two winter starts so I can take a break in between and not have to look at daycare. If I do go in the fall, I'd need daycare then. I'm going to be contacting Autism Society of Canada about disability daycare for Matthew.