Well isn't that wonderful???
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Well isn't that wonderful???

My dd starts her first year of college on the 16th. As of today they still do NOT have her financial aid info in the computer. She has three scholarships/awards that should more than pay for tution and books and all fees. However I can't order her books until the aid shows up in the computer system unless I want to pay 553.00 for them myself. Then hope and pray the college can get their act together and pay me back. I refuse to do that after dealing with them all summer. There isn't a single person who knows what is going on. I finally called the central office this morning and was told that she can't order books until the online bookstore gets a letter from the college saying that she has financial aid. Ok so when will that be? It SHOULD be next week and then her books SHOULD get here in time for her to start on the 16th. God help me, at the rate they are going they may my lose my child on her first day there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oh yeah i love colleges this time of year NOT- if you got thru to the financial aide office you are lucky - i could never get thru to my sons college always leave a message.. never a call back . They need to hire extra help- evenstudents to field calls at least so the ones that need to go to someone else can and they can answer simple questions.

finally got a callback when i told them if i didnt by 10 am the next day i was coming down with all the five , 3 yos i babysit and a box of jelly donuts for them to make a mess with if i didnt get a call back.

( no i dont babysit and hate jelly donuts but hey it worked -i assume they thought i was a psycho by then and didnt want me there at all anyway lol )

of course no when knew anything when i called .

have you searched for her books online at all for less money ??

also as far as seeing money you spent come back - it wont be till late october when they issue refunds - sometimes early November so i wouldnt use any funds you expact back immediately.

IMO the whole attitude i got was that they just dont gave a rats behind what your situation is because of whats happening with them - its your problem . I never evengot a polite sorry for the inconvienence. Must be nice to work a 4 day week ( what my sons college did in summer ) and have everyones future in the palm of your hand .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's exactly the attitude I've been getting for a month now. Noone knows anything, noone cares, the sighs when you ask a question, the smart-assed comments, etc. I even broke down and finally called the central office this morning because noone up here knows anything about anything and heck they don't even know what's going on.

I'm not planning to use my own money at all if I can help it. She worked hard for those scholarships/awards and they can darn well use them!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sending you a hug, been there. You will have your want to pull your hair out moments but somehow it all works out. No fun waiting and you'll wish things were run better/differently but it is what it is. Wishing your dd a good year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have dealt with 3 different colleges and if you receive a scholarship, loan, or financial aid you will not be allowed to purchase your books with that money until the week before school begins. By then, most of the books you need are gone, but most professors understand and usually give you another week to get them from the bookstore. If the books have all been picked over, ask the bookstore if they plan to order anymore and get on the waiting list. They will call you when the books come in so you will be able to get them with the financial aid. Also, the school that DS#2 attends informed the parents last year during freshman orientation that they were not allowed to disclose any information about the student to the parent - grades, financial aid status, etc. So, if you are getting someone to talk to you, you did better than me.

Good luck! I know this is a stressful time, but it will all work out in the end.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is true that parents are not allowed to know about their students grades financial aid etc. but you can have your child sign a waiver stating that you are allowed to see and have access to these things. I use to work for a community college. Keep on them and do as others have done demand that you be transferred to someone who does know. There isn't any excuse for the run around. I know with budget cuts it can't be easy but they should be able to help you. Good luck to you and your daughter.