What type of hs'er are you?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Talking What type of hs'er are you?

I can't believe how many different types of hs'ing there are. LOL Although I hate labels...which type of hs'er are you and can you tell us a little about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well ... I'm fairly rigorous on math and language arts. We do those as seatwork just about every school day.

As far as social studies, we do a lot of read alouds using Sonlight's 'living books' concept. Kind of a modified Charlotte Mason.

Literature - Sonlight books and some of my childhood favorites. (Anybody else read The Four Story Mistake to their kids?)

Science -- lots of library books and videos. Some experiments.

Only math and lang arts are covered every day.

Spanish -- I use Rosetta Stone. About twice a week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are Eclectic homeschoolers. We take what works for us from many different sources but really hit the math, reading, science, history, bible study hard. We've used Saxon for Math and Bob Jones and Apologia for Science, All kinds of great literature and writing programs, Power Glide for Spanish, Abeka , current events and other sources for History, piano, guitar lessons, band and choir for music, art has been using lots of drawing books and watching videos of the great museums and artists of the world. We've been to live performances of Handel's Messiah, go to wonderful plays each year, concerts, museums, galleries, etc.. We've studied anatomy, logic, Shakespeare, creationism, drama, and problem solving in our co-op. We've done keybording and in depth studies of areas of interest for our kids (landscaping, law, horticulture, computers, astronomy). The kids are currently taking a Christian World View class 3 hours a week in another town. We do volunteer work in our community. Yep, we are all over the board!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're pretty relaxed -- almost unschoolers. This year the girls did take classes one day a week through a homeschool ministry and they really enjoyed that.

My goal is always that we read lots and work on math and English, but we seem to get busy with lots of other things.

We mainly live life and my girls, especially my oldest, are involved in lots of things. Currently all three of us are taking Hebrew, last semester they both took art and swimming; the oldest took a silversmithing class and is in a jazz for Jesus troupe; the youngest also takes gymnastics. Erin did gymnastics for years, being on team, and the whole works, and then decided this fall she was burned out, so we're taking a break from that, but, boy, are we busy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We work on a pace and goal system here. It allows Mickie to set her own learning goals and not feel pressured. She loves it. We work on a pace in math, english, social studies, science, and word building daily. Literature and creative writing we work on once a week. Bible study is also done daily when we have family devotion before hubby leaves for work. We base our devotions on her bible study paces along with prayer. Mickie takes a test after she completes each pace. If she scores below 80% on the test, she must work the entire pace again and take the test again. I keep my own records for test scores and attendance. I do have to send in an attendance report to the local school board at the end of each month to make sure she is homeschooled the required 180 days per school year.

Was wondering if anyone else has to do this.

Oh, we also do field trips and library group at least twice a month if possible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do math and language arts every day. I really love "Spelling Workout" by Modern Curriculum Press. We do different things for science and social studies, like reading Kids Discover magazine. That is an awesome resource! I read each issue cover to cover, myself. We are still trying to get our "homeschooling style" figured out. I would love to do more things, like swim lessons, or art lessons away from home, but the cost, and the fact that we only have one car, keeps us at home more than I would like.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eclectic.

We use a variety of materials - Saxon for math, Explode the Code and Alpha Omega (phonics, language arts), Handwriting Without Tears, I use the Sonlight book list as a basis for what we read and expand on it heavily, Scott Foresman social studies, we read lots of books for science (especially the Look Once, Look Again series, the Let's Read and Find Out Science series, and Magic School Bus books), do fun experiments, work in the garden and compost, listen to a variety of music (ds isn't quite old enough for lessons yet), make crafts, paint, etc. for art, Little Visits for Families for our Bible devotions and we read from the Bible, ds's children's Bible and lots of Bible stories, use printable worksheets in all subjects that I've found online, etc.

Bible, language arts/phonics, math, handwriting, and reading aloud (both ds and me) are things we do daily. Science, social studies, art, music, etc. are done at least 2-3 times a week, but sometimes every day. Ds also loves to bake with me (math and science) in addition to helping me in the garden. We take field trips as we are able (of course just going to the beach here is a field trip because we never know what we'll find or see to learn more about). (Ds is a kindergartner, but all his curricula is 1st grade and he's reading on a 5th/6th grade level).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by MarshHen
    I do have to send in an attendance report to the local school board at the end of each month to make sure she is homeschooled the required 180 days per school year.

Was wondering if anyone else has to do this.

My state gives the option of reporting to the superintendent or enrolling with an umbrella school. I chose the umbrella school option because the way my state's law is written up, ds could not be a kindergartner until fall 2005 (because of his date of birth) even though he could have gone to public kindergarten in fall 2004! He's beyond the K level already so I did that option to go ahead and make him *official*. The particular umbrella school I chose requires me to send in a report card at the end of each semester. It also requires (by state law) 180 days of school OR completing the curriculum (so if ds finishes all his curricula early, then we are finished for the year and I can prove it through my documentation/journals). I have to send in the attendance report at the end of our school year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do a K-12 based program that our state has available for homeschoolers. They provide all the supplies, it is great. We don't have to follow word for word, we can skip what doesn't work for us and mold this and that. So far though, this has worked wonderfully for us.

All of it is reported via onlline inputting of his assessments, daily activities and so on. Plus he is evaluated 3 times a year. It is a Virtual Academy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks everybody for your reply! I didn't realise there were many hs'er/unschoolers on this board because it doesn't seem busy.
    Maybe we can all post some new topics and get this forum active.
    SeasonalFamilyFun.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds good to me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are very new to hs'ing...it's only been about a month. I have three kids but am only hs'ing one at the moment. We'll be adding my oldest when school is finished this year.

We use a bit of everything...no pre-packaged curric. We have some workbooks, some text books, tons of reading material, CD-ROM games, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh, that's right. CD ROM games are great. We love these:

Zoombinis
    My Personal Tutor Reader Railway
    Rainbow Rock
    Jump Start Typing

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bump! (for the newbies)

We are getting "geared up" for the new "school year". Molly did end up taking an eight week art class through the local parks and rec department. It was for homeschoolers only. The cost was very affordable. We are planning on swim lessons for fall. I am working much less now, and we have moved within walking distance of DH's full-time and my VERY part-time job, so the one car headache has been lessened a great deal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Literature - Sonlight books and some of my childhood favorites. (Anybody else read The Four Story Mistake to their kids?)
    I have all of Elizabeth Enright's books about the Melendy family as well as Gone Away Lake 1 & 2... I love em!

I don't exactly know what "type" of homeschooler I was... I pulled my eldest out of public school when I was told it didn't matter if she couldn't write legibly or do math, she could always use a keyboard and calculator...the important thing was that she took co-ed PE or she wouldn't graduate!
    The school district gave me a hard time even though I jumped through all their red tape hoops.. they kept sending a truancy officer to my door to harrass me.
    Thankfully, there were 3 teachers in the family to help me along with the coursework. My dh was also homeschooled for many years or else I would have never gotten the idea or the courage.
    Since my daughter was wayyyyy behind in her education, it took her til 21 to get her GED, but we are so proud of her!
    My littlest one is in private school....she's wayyyy too smart and energetic for me to teach at home... plus I'm older and tireder now...heheh...