Homeschoolers - approximately how much do you spend each year homeschooling?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Homeschoolers - approximately how much do you spend each year homeschooling?

The first year I homeschooled, I spent close to $2,000.00 in books and supplies. It was ridiculous what I bought and never used.

Now with 3 kids, I keep our costs around $500 per year. I now use the library, purchase used books when I can and teach doubling up. I also watch for homeschooling or educational books at yard sales and swap with other homeschoolers too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well over 800 a year I recall. Mostly on books of various titles, less on packaged curriculum.

Some years closer to 2 grand.

But we used to pay similar amounts to the private school.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

About $300 a year! Gotta love ebay and forums where for sale items can be posted! I'm also blessed to live near a homeschool consignment store. They also carry new workbooks (such as Horizons Math K), etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It has varied each year based on which curricula I have selected, magazine subscriptions, how many shows we attend at the local performing arts center, field trip costs, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I budget $225/month.

That pays for

curriculum ($70)
    activities ($30)
    materials ($20)
    HSLDA ($10)
    music lessons ($95)

Even if we weren't homeschooling, we'd have the kids taking music lessons. I'm just lucky that we found teachers who charge reasonable rates. And I'll bet the kids would be going to educational activites at about the same rate too. (performances, museums, etc.)

BTW, overall, the $225/month is more than ample. In fact, this month, I turned $100 of curriculum money back to the emergency fund. I have PLENTY of curriculum.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, all 3 of my children are "enrolled" in schools. So I recieve $1000 each per year (when I provide receipts) for extracurricular activities&/or curriculum.

All of our money goes to music lessons.
    Dd #1- is 1225$per year
    Ds- is 995$ per yr
    Dd#2 is- 995$ per yr.

It could easily be higher but the teachers have been very good about keeping then at .5 hr lessons for the youngest 2 and.75hr lessons for eldest.They really should have longer lessons for the level they are at. But the teachers have been very generous and have allowed the children to "run" overtime often.

It sounds like a lot for lessons but they attend an "academy". When the children reach a certain level of ability they are invited to play in groups and classes free of charge.
    So my little violinist gets one hour of performance classes and 1 hour of fiddling classes per week free of charge.
    My Ds plays cello. he is in the junior orchestra (1.5 hrs per week), composing workshops(1 hr per week) and in a string trio (.5 hr per week).
    Dd plays piano and she accompanies other students and right now is paired with a violinist she also attends composer workshops. Broken down to hourly costs it becomes very reasonable.
    The children also are eligible for scholarships based on performance at festivals.

Because my Dh is a student we have no extra funds for anything else.
    So I have been unable to buy curriculum for 2 years!
    I have begged, borrowed and used the library extensively.

Other activities the children want to do they pay for from money they earn or get as presents.
    Scouts have sponsored our children since Dh lost his job so there has been no fees.
    Gymnastics for Little Dd is paid for through our community her name was put in by the gymnastics club. Ditto for Judo for Ds.

All the above activities were part of our childrens schooling from before Dh lost his job, they are not new.
    We did give up eldest Dd's gymnastics (rythmics) and riding lessons.

My eldest is going to German school. It is very reasonable. Three hours per week (Sat. am) for $180 for the year. My mother is paying for that. But she can't afford to pay for all three children. So I am hoping that I will be able to put all three children in Next year.

So I guess right now I spend about $4000 per year (but it isn't my money).

When Dh is working I spend about $1000 per year of my money for extracurricular activities (not including government money) and about $300-$400 in curriculum.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have been homeschooling for 7 yrs now and when we first started, we paid about $785 for five children- that included the shipping costs of the books...it is much less now b/c we have passed the books down to the younger children as they graduated to the next grade.......the grades that we do buy new for are the 1st and 2nd grades b/c they have alot of interactive things to do in the books like coloring, puzzles, etc. I think that this year we spent about $200 on school books- we save about $20-$50 off of the shipping(depending on how many books we buy) when we purchase our books at the motel meetings that Abeka has here.We always buy a good supply of notebook paper when it is .50 cents a pack, spiral notebooks we found for .8 cents (all at the beginning of the school year and we still have some )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OH my gosh guys! I feel like I'm majorly jipping my son! I just bought 25.00's worth of stuff, and in the beginning of the year I spent 38.00...so about 63.00 this year. Of course that doesn't include passes to the zoo and museum and some classes here and there. I know for a fact that I will spend more as the years go by, but for now, I rely heavily on the library and internet. I heard once all it took to homeschool was a library card.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Diane! Your son doesn't look very old!
    My situation is a little different. I have older children and all are being schooled.

It is often hard for people to believe but none of children did ANY lessons until they were 6! Not even swimming! I considered lessons for prschoolers twaddly or babysitting. What takes little ones years to master can take an older child a few months (saving LOTS of money)...of course there are always exceptions and a few preschoolers can excel at their "gifts" but most don't, they just bide their time.

In my families case we started at 6 with music lessons and then the next year added a "PE" they wanted to do. Then we didn't add anything else until they showed special interest (and BEGGED US) or aptitude.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

JustmeD,

I think it's SMART to not go overboard on curriculum buying, especially in the early years.

I made lots of money mistakes with my kids: first off, I sent them to Montessori preschool ($$$$).

In comparison, homeschooling is downright cheap!

Some of my reasons for spending money are different.

* For example, DH would feel really uncomfortable if this house wasn't filled with curriculum. (books, posters, science kits, etc.) It would look to him as if I weren't taking it seriously. And to his family. Family pressure can wear you down; this is a low-resistance path to keeping them off my back!

* I don't know Spanish -- I need the spendy computer program or a tutor to help the kids there.

* Also, I am a musical MORON. So I have to hire out music teaching.

If I had to do it all again, I would

* Choose a good math program as the foundation of our work. (I personally like Saxon too).
    * Do some pre-math with my preschoolers. (Ruth Beechick has some good books -- Language and Learning for Young Children, I think.)
    * Take the kids to library storytime programs.
    * Make sure to go to the library at least once a week.
    * Take advantage of the no-cost speech therapy preschool that was offered to DD.
    * Buy a few music tapes and videos for their preschool years.
    * Read lots and lots of library books to them.
    * Pick and choose curriculum, instead of buying complete packages.
    * If I had the money and opportunity, I'd have them in music lessons.
    * Buy kids' books at garage sales. I think it's good to have lots of books around, but you DON'T have to break the bank getting there.

Over the years, my teaching has evolved.

1st few years, everything by the book. Bought all new curriculum from the company.
    Then I started doing my OWN science curriculum, heavily supported with library resources.
    Then I started buying used curriculum for many items.
    Then I started adding in MY CHOICE of read alouds, and dumping curriculum books that I didn't find as interesting.
    Now that the kids are in more afternoon activities (music, scouts, speech therapy, Battle of the Books), I adjust my schedule to do core subjects (Math, Lang Arts, Spanish, Music) in the morning, and then I JUST DON'T WORRY about other academics in the afternoon.
    I school all year round. So, when the library offers a codes-and-cyphers program in the summer, that counts as school. Or when the local museum has a model rocket workshop, it's school. Helps with the bookkeeping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We spend probably several hundred a year including cirriculum and field trips. We use Singapore Math and they each get their own books, so that is sort of spendy ($100 per "grade"). Hmmm, if you add in their playgroups, it might wind up to be $500. We go rollerskating and bowling alot in the winter, but in the summer, we go to the park instead.