We are pulling our son out of school
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default We are pulling our son out of school

this friday. I have to file the paper work and get other things ready. I feel unsure of myself, a little figity but I know GOD will help us through this transition. I will order Saxon Math 3rd grade to get started, we already started reading the Little house series, maybe journal or something.
    I know our schooling will evolve over time so I will be calm and see what happens

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you don't mind me be nosy, why did you pull your son out of school? My son has been in a middle school, that has way too...many bullies, and not enough administrators with back-bone, and discipline. I was just a bit curious, good luck to you. Many...people homeschool their children.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by betharoo0 View Post
    I know our schooling will evolve over time so I will be calm and see what happens

That is the best approach in my opinion. We were told when we started homeschooling to take some and time and reconnect with our kids before we actually began really schooling. Each child has a different style of learning and before we bought either a curriculum we had to figure out the learning style for each. What works for one does not work for the other in our family. We were also advised to use the reconnecting time to try and to undo some of the negatives they had gotten from the traditional school they were in. We still take it day by day. We are all learning as we go along, but so far we are all happier and closer.

Good luck - I hope it all works out for you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did the same thing 3 years ago. That was the best thing I did for ds at that time. It turned out to be wonderful. Even though we moved a couple of months ago and he made the decision to go back to public shcool.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck on homeschooling. I started back homeschooling my DD in the 3rd grade. She went back to public school in the 8th grade. She wanted to go back. My oldest who is 16 went back this year. I was just not prepared to teach the high school stuff like math and science. I should have sent the older one back a year earlier because she was missing some credits to be in the grade she was supposed to be in. Thier school is a small one with about 400 students grades 6-12. Everybodly knows your name. I don't think I would have like to send them back to a mega school.

Registered User thriftstorequeen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My kids are all grown now, but we took 3 of them out and I homeschooled them. They were going into 7th, 5th and 4th grade. We continued through high school. One daughter went on to college but only for a short time she got married. The other daughter is still plugging away. Our son is married with and family and drives a truck for Lowes. The two boys that stayed in did great too. The oldest went into the Marines and got married and has started a family. He just went to college and is doing well. The second oldest has completed college and has his own business and and family. They all made honors in college. That's not because of me but because they all love to learn. We took our kids out of school because we wanted to be the ones to direct their paths. My oldest daughter asks what we wanted to accomplish by this., was it to learn facts or learn how to continue to learn. We chose the later. I loved this time with the kids. We became very bonded and learned to work together. We also used Saxton math. Reading was a very important part of their education. We made going to the library an event every 3wks. We also joined a group with other homeschoolers. I do hope you enjoy this new adventure! Please feel free to email me if I can be of any help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations on your decision. We use the library a lot! The first year of homeschooling, I spent at least $500 on curriculum, but the last two years, I have spent much less. We do a math and grammar/spelling program, and the rest we fill in with fiction and non-fiction books from the library, field trips, watching selected TV shows on the National Geographic Channel, Science Channel, etc.

We are lucky to have found a very active homeschooling support group. We get together at least once a week with these friends for a play date, holiday party, or field trip. Check out opportunities for homeschoolers at your local YMCA or Park and Recreation Department. Where we live, they both offer classes for homeschoolers, like P.E., Art, Swimming, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I, too, have made the decision to begin homeschooling my children. We are waiting until the end of the public school year because there has been no real sentinel event to make me feel this way. I'm just very frustrated with the whole entire system. My DD who is 6 actually came to me and asked if she could be taught at home. She's advanced academically and said she is being held back by others who can't learn as fast as her. My DS who is 9 is actually lagging behind. I am so excited, nervous, scared about all of this. I have spent quite a few restless nights lately mulling this over in my head. In my heart I truly believe this is the right decision for us.

Sorry...I didn't mean to hijack your post. I can definitely relate what you are going through. Good luck and keep us (me) posted. We can learn how to do this together!!!

Stephanie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I homeschooled our DD who is now 14 through the 6th and 7th grade. She did great but decided she wanted to go back to school this year so we enrolled her into a private christian school. We felt it was best to ease her back into a smaller classroom and she loves it and is doing great. She has now decided that she wants to attend the public high school here in our town this fall, so we will give it a try to see how she adjusts. I too, worried about homeschooling at first, but I'm so glad now that I did. If for some reason she doesn't handle the public high school this next year, I will homeschool her again without hesitation.