DD16 and AP US History
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default DD16 and AP US History

My DD16 has really struggled this year. She has always been a straight A student. She has a tough class schedule. She has AP US History in which you can earn a college credit (if you pass the class and pass an exam at the end of the course.) She also has Spanish 1, Honors American Lit, Honors Biology 1, Honors Algebra 2 and Concert Band.

In Spanish 1 she has 110! In Honors American Lit she has 94! In Honors Biology 1 she has 80! In Honors Algebra 2 she has 80! In Concert Band she has 100! The problem is in the AP Us History. She has 69.42. She is devastated. I have told her all year how proud I am of her. She studies hard and does her best. She is just so disappointed in herself.

She has her final for the 9 weeks tomorrow. I would like to ask those that pray to say a prayer for her, not just for her to pass the test, but for her to be able to handle the outcome, whatever it may be. And to send good thoughts her way. Thanks so much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I took AP US History in high school, along with several other AP classes. I got good grades in the classes, but did not score high enough on the exams to get actual credit. I'm sure alot of that had to do with the fact it was the first year our high school offered any AP classes so the teachers were as clueless as we were about the difficulty of the test.

What I did get out of the AP classes, which was more important than an exam grade, was that I was better prepared for college-style classes and expectations. It is one thing to do well in high school and it is another in college.

I wish her luck and will pray for her to do well on the exams. But let her know that as important as she thinks the grade is right now - it isn't. Take from the class the important things - how to read, think and write at a college level. That will take her farther than one college credit.

From someone who was anal about their high school grades and had to learn the hard way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We will keep her in our prayers. Let us know how the test turns out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Done, let us know how it goes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you guys so much. History is her first class of the day. She should be done with the test now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My DD's both took AP History. Here it is a weighted class, which means if you have a D in the class, it really is equal to a C in a regular class. ALso, if you have a B in the AP class it is equal to an A in a regular class. Is that how your system works? Tell her just to continue to do her best, noone can ask no more or no less of her. She should try not to be so hard on herself, sometimes sucking on a mint during the tests also, helps relax you. I will pray for a wonderful outcome.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, the AP classes are weighted. At her high school though, letter grades are A, B, C and F. We do not have a D, so a 69 is an F. You have to pass the class to be given a letter grade. I wish we did have a D.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I took a lot of AP's (including US History) in high school and they were all hard. What I learned the most was that I wasn't going to be a super student in every subject, and some of them kicked my butt. Also, like someone else mentioned, I learned a lot about what a "real" college class is like so I was a lot more prepared when I got there.

Also - not sure if your school has the option - but in my school you could take the AP class and have the option at the end to take a regular final and not the AP test. Maybe if she can do this that would help relieve some of her stress?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish her the best of luck, let us know how it turns out

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is so wild. My daughter is taking almost the exact same schedule as yours except for the band. AP History has been alot more work for her and she is holding her own. I wish your daughter the best of luck and we will keep praying for her to pass it. I know my daughter is always working hard, she keeps a high B in it, for now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Absolutely! I'd also like to suggest that you and/or she approach the teacher and ask if there are any additional study materials or suggestions they have that might help. My son did this his last 2 years in HS, and it made life SOOO much easier. He also put together a small group of serious students to get together to study AP History, and it helped them alot (he actually was lucky to be at the top in that class, and he did his own work, but there were others who were cheating because they were not doing well on their own, and he wanted to show them that they could - Several of them came by my office at the college the next year and told me that he really affected their ethics, and their goals to get through Sr. year and/or college without resorting to cheating. Yea!!!)

I think it is always hard for someone who is used to achieving great things to run into something that they are less successful at - but I also think learning that they WILL exist in each person's life is a very important lesson. I did not learn it until college, and nearly committed suicide over it. Don't worry, I'm decades past that stage.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Both of my DD's took AP courses in high school, and DS will as well(starting next year when they are offered) I agree with whomever posted that this is great preparation for how college classes are formatted, run, etc...and I would rather have my children be challenged and maybe not get that "A" than sitting in a class bored to tears.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions. I just love everyone here! She was in pretty good spirits when she got home today. She thinks she may have passed the test. We are still waiting for the results.