California ruling on banning homeschooling!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default California ruling on banning homeschooling!!!

Wow....I've been reading info. on a behind closed door hearing where a California Judge's ruling is putting a ban on homeschooling there!!! I just got off the HSLDA (homeschool legal defense association site) and read the articles regarding this!!! There is a petition there as well to "depublish" the ruling to only the one family in question and not the state in its entirety!!! This would be a big set back for homeschooling!!! They will be appealing the case along with HSLDA coming to the rescue to THOUSANDS of homeschooling families there. Hopefully this will be resolved soon!!! Happy homeschooling, Katy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I heard this too....isn't it awful?!?!?!
    When we lived in CA I homeschooled my kiddos. CA never made it easy, but I wouldn't entrust my precious little ones to school system in the Republic of CA for anything!!!
    Now we are in KS, in a public school with one kiddo in special ed (part of the reason we left CA in search of good schools), and one in the advance placement program (gee, could it possibly be b/c we homeschooled, and I let him learn at his own pace, not to be slowed down the pace of 30 other kids)
    If you are a teacher/fan of the CA school system, I suppose I have earned a few "flames"........sorry in advance, it;s just my feelings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have the info on the actual court case...

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions...ts/B192878.PDF

here's what's being said by Focus on the Family here...

http://www.hslda.org/docs/link.asp?U...00006717%2Ecfm

And here's what the home school legal defense association says about it...

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/ca/200803060.asp

I am so mad. this family doesn't represent what is going on in the majority of the homeschooling community. it's casting a broad stroke on to all the homeschooling families rather than labeling it what it is...a dysfunctional family, that could just as easy be a mainstream schooling family.

And I resent the statement that suggests that homeschoolers cloister themselves off from outside influences. When in fact it's just the opposite. My kids and I get out and about all through town to plays, art shows, museums, parks, nature trails and more. How often do brick and mortar schools have that opportunity? On the other hand, we do it more than once a week. Where the schools are bogged down in permission waivers and red tape, funding for the outings and chaperon issues; we on the other hand have already gone, experienced it and written a report on it (and often are planning the next outing!)!

My children do not only interact with the children of their own age range and one or two adults a day...no! They interact with all age ranges, all people for the benefit of the lesson, their growth, their mutual well being! They don't worry about "how do i talk to this grown up" when they ask the zookeeper what goes into the average hippopotamuses daily diet. They ask, they learn and they LISTEN! They are attentive in these opportunities that many kids miss out on by being worried about "sounding dumb in front of class" or worrying about what is going on between class mates vs the actual lesson at hand (not all, not trying to flame the pubic school or the way things are done).

Ack....i could go on, but i am getting riled up, lol.

can you tell this topic is close to heart?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the statement i was referring to is in the court papers i believe... I wasn't referring to anything anyone here has or has not said. In fact the people here have always been very open minded and supportive. Yay FV!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, that is really shocking and wrong! I have friends in CA that homeschool who I know must be outraged! I signed the petition.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is hard to believe that they could infringe on people's right to homeschool their kids. I used to homeschool but my kids went back a couple of years ago. They go to a good school but if I lived in California I would not want them going to the schools there. I bet there are going to be a lot of people leaving California for more homeschool friendly states.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read somewhere that the governor is supporting the parental right to homeschool.

I also read that the particular family in question of this whole case has a 20 yr history of physical and emotional abuse. It's sad that this is what people will remember the most about homeschoolers. We fight the stigma everyday that we are somehow "freaks" because we don't want our kids in the mainstream setting. There are always a few that make everyone else look bad.

Stephanie

Registered User very_inky_fingers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is very disturbing. I homeschooled my two youngest sons who are now 30 and 28. I worked for John Holt who was a homeschool advocate and even wrote about my son Chris in one of his books. One is a baker and one is an ordained minister. It is sad to think that they would hold it against all parents who educate their children at home when they discover one family with problems. I read in the case that the father was accused of abuse by one of the older children. I won't make judgements about that because I think there were times when my kids wanted to call me in for abuse when I insisted they do their work! To take the right to homeschool away from everyone because one family or two is a problem..seems like throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    It really was the best experience for us. I had older children who went through the system and struggled. I guess that was one of the reasons I decided to teach the youngest at home. I taught one through high school and the other through 11th. grade. He would have continued homeschooling but at 6'7" tall with size 17 sneakers he wanted to play basketball and they would not allow him to play unless he enrolled. He went on to college and then seminary.
    I admire all of you who make the commitment to teach your children at home. It is a full-time job! God bless! Mary GW

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well i dont know much about homeschooling, and havent heard this (til now), but i would think that because of certains laws/regulations being far more lax for homeschooling than in a public schooling arena (ie, a schoolhouse), they're drawing the line of what can/can't be done in homeschooling.

i know of some children who severely lack social skills as they aged (to their teens) who were homeschooled. And others who flourished.
    I know of some parents who homeschool are too easy on their children (occupational hazard?) and give too much leniency for their child.

The problem is, as I was reading some about this, is that homeschooling is not treated equally to public schooling. So a child who may be homeschooled may not be getting the adequate education to compete with other children their age. And, this information comes from state test scores, as mentioned in an article.

my personal opinion, i've known a lotta homeschooled kids who did just fine and had no problems. But again, I'm ignorant on this whole topic.
    Just thought I'd play a little devil's advocate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I know that this link is trying to sell a book, and these are older studies, but here is a link about homeschoolers' results on standardized tests:

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000010/200410250.asp

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

While I do not think it should be illegal I do think that there should be checks and balances for the system. There could be already and I just may not be aware of it. I did read a bit of the link above, however do all homeschoolers take those standardized tests like all public school students do or is it just those who want to? That can skew results. Also keep in mind that the majority of the special education population is taking the tests as well, and maybe parents of special needs homeschoolers are not having their children take these tests. Maybe 99% of parents are doing a great job, but what about that 1% who is falling in the cracks--in my opinion the state should pull them out of homeschool and send them to public school.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can only say that here in Massachusetts there are definitely checks in place to make sure that HS kids are getting a good education.

Not only did I have to submit a curriculum at the beginning of the year, certifying the number of hours of instruction my son would receive (broken down by subject), and the texts we would use. Throughout this year I have been saving his work to compile a portfolio of dated work samples to submit to the school dept at the end of the year.

Having said that, I take exception to people who think that my son should be learning the "same" things that kids in public school learn. One of the best parts of HSing is that my son can learn about the things that HE is interested in. He can spend hours each week immersed in books on WWII (his current passion), and drawing pictures of fighter planes, because he doesn't have to be interrupted to read stories about fuzzy bunnies or to build a popsicle stick model of the Pilgrims' village. (Memories of my own youth, here...) Anyway, as long as they are learning, growing, developing, who is to say that they have to learn any given fact during a specific year of schooling?

Just my $.02.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FreesiaE View Post
    While I do not think it should be illegal I do think that there should be checks and balances for the system. There could be already and I just may not be aware of it. I did read a bit of the link above, however do all homeschoolers take those standardized tests like all public school students do or is it just those who want to? That can skew results. Also keep in mind that the majority of the special education population is taking the tests as well, and maybe parents of special needs homeschoolers are not having their children take these tests. Maybe 99% of parents are doing a great job, but what about that 1% who is falling in the cracks--in my opinion the state should pull them out of homeschool and send them to public school.
    I sooo agree! I had a friend who homeschooled her daughter and there were requirements for standardized tests and for group physical-ed type activities that exceeded what the public schools were doing (mid '90s). That was on the TX/NM border, and I'm not sure which state had the rules, but that kid was certainly well provided for socially, emotionally, and academically.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

this comes at the same time as the show grows popular :
    are you smarter than a 5th grader.

I find that ironic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Isn't that kind of like denouncing all public education because some public schools have things happen that are undisreable? I didn't see the state of CO banning public schools after the Columbine incident! (Nor do I think it should have - I am using that as an example of WHY generalizing does NOT make sense.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast