paying cash is now a "terrorist activity" [RANT] - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47
  1. #16
    Registered User nodmicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6,988
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
    Yikes! On some airlines they won't even accept cash for drinks or snacks (gee, remember when those used to be free??). I swear that is somehow illegal.
    I forgot about that!!! The last time we flew you had to pay for a snack for the kiddos with a CC!!!

  2. #17
    Registered User Spirit Deer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boundary Waters, Minnesota
    Posts
    18,378
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    I think some businesses won't accept cash because it's too easy for the employees to just pocket it.

  3. #18
    Registered User Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,930
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
    Yikes! On some airlines they won't even accept cash for drinks or snacks (gee, remember when those used to be free??). I swear that is somehow illegal.
    This I can understand - the whole theft issue. Cash goes missing all the time and its easy.

    What I find 'illegal' are the signs on the store windows that state they will not accept $50/$100 bills. Its all legal tender and by law, they must take it as payment if offered.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #19
    Registered User Spirit Deer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boundary Waters, Minnesota
    Posts
    18,378
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    Counterfeiting is a huge problem right now, too, and the larger bills are commonly the ones that are faked. If a business accepts phony money and later the fraud is discovered, they have no way to recoup that and it's just a loss for them. I know what you're saying and I agree, but I understand why they're leery, too.

  6. #20
    Registered User zakity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    near Portland, Oregon
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,035
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Sometimes they won't take a larger bill because they can't break it because they don't keep enough cash in the drawer.

  7. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    13,931
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    25
    Rep Power
    87

    Default

    I am a
    -resale
    -library sale
    -grocery buying
    -garage saling
    Terror ist.lol

  8. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,902
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    What I find 'illegal' are the signs on the store windows that state they will not accept $50/$100 bills. Its all legal tender and by law, they must take it as payment if offered.
    That's not true. It's only true if a debt is present at the time of payment.

    Scenario 1: You try to buy a candy bar at the 7-11. You pay before you get the candy bar, so the store can tell you they won't accept $100 bills.

    Scenario 2: You go to a restaurant and eat your meal. At that point, you go to pay. They DO have to accept all bills as legal tender, because a debt (your meal) is present prior to payment.

    Scenario 3: McDonalds can tell you to back off, since you pay before getting your meal.

    Scenario 4: You get your car worked on, and then you pay the mechanic. The mechanic must accept everything, because you have already incurred the debt.


    If it was your way, vending machines would have to accept $100 bills.

  9. #23
    Moderator Ceashels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, Md
    Posts
    4,028
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    I've now read "terrorist," "bomb" and "airplane" in the same thread. Frugal Village has now popped up on numerous government agency lists for suspected activity.

    We are now doomed!

    See, I watch television.


    LOL

  10. #24
    Registered User Spirit Deer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boundary Waters, Minnesota
    Posts
    18,378
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    Maybe if the government agencies read enough on this forum, they'll learn how to save some of that taxpayer money!

    Personally I'm waiting for DEA and/or the county sheriff to show up at my house when we have all our AeroGardens running. LOL. Maybe THAT'S why that float plane kept repeatedly buzzing our house a few days ago! I'll gladly give them a tour of our peppers, tomatoes, and lettuce gardens!

  11. #25
    Registered User Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,196
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Looks like I'm doomed here on planet Earth...if this becomes the rule in Canada, that is.
    I've never had a credit card; I don't earn enough money to be accepted for a credit card; I don't bank online; I don't have home internet...and I would never use the library internet for banking transactions.

  12. #26
    Registered User frugalfranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    PNW in summer---SW in wnter.
    Posts
    12,986
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueBee49 View Post
    Here in Texas the tollbooths are not manned. You are filmed and receive a bill in the mail. .
    You can tell I don't live around any toll booths......but I have a question....................what do they do with/for the visitors? How does this work?

  13. #27
    Registered User Libby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,930
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
    That's not true. It's only true if a debt is present at the time of payment.

    Scenario 1: You try to buy a candy bar at the 7-11. You pay before you get the candy bar, so the store can tell you they won't accept $100 bills.

    Scenario 2: You go to a restaurant and eat your meal. At that point, you go to pay. They DO have to accept all bills as legal tender, because a debt (your meal) is present prior to payment.

    Scenario 3: McDonalds can tell you to back off, since you pay before getting your meal.

    Scenario 4: You get your car worked on, and then you pay the mechanic. The mechanic must accept everything, because you have already incurred the debt.


    If it was your way, vending machines would have to accept $100 bills.
    You're right. I forgot that its considered 'invitation to treat' aka a bid or tender for items/services offered. But having said that, why make those bills knowing they have the potential of being refused?

    I've also seen stores not accept 32 x $1 coins as payment. I understand the right to refuse sale but where do we draw the line? See where I'm going with this? Money is money. You sell goods/services in order to make money. Why refuse it or limit how you will accept it? Vending machines, I can understand but a big chain grocery store (with counterfeit detection procedures in place) not accepting $100 bill when your total is $98.25?

    At the rate this article is going - I'm going to expect the person that holds a garage sale to accept my payment via debit or credit card b/c cash will be illegal to have. Thats right - "I'll be charging that $0.60 on my Visa please"

    Maybe its just me.

  14. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,902
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    I suppose it comes down to how many problems an establishment has had with certain bills. McDonalds may have had enough issues with fake $100 bills, or a lack of enough change, that they changed what they accepted. The top notch steakhouse downtown will likely accept those $100 bills due to the clientele being less likely to pass fake bills.

    Anyway, I agree that it would be nice if all places accepted all denominations. It rarely affects me, since the highest I carry is a $20, and I'll pay for things less than $5 on my credit card. As far as the article in the OP, I'm not sure what to think yet. Infowars can be quite over the top, but they may have more insight into something than me.

  15. #29
    Registered User Spirit Deer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boundary Waters, Minnesota
    Posts
    18,378
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    We spent a $100 bill at the lumberyard the other day. They were more than happy to take it.

    I'm not sure why steak house customers would be less likely to pass bad money than McD's customers.

  16. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    70
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    You can tell I don't live around any toll booths......but I have a question....................what do they do with/for the visitors? How does this work?
    Same thing, ff. The license plate is photographed and they get a bill in the mail. Additionally, if you don't have a toll tag, the toll fee is significantly higher. Signs are posted at almost every toll booth listing the toll tag fee and the non-toll tag fee. Kind of forces those of us local to have a toll tag. And what I hate the most is the fact that it is an automatic debit to either your cc or your bank account at a minimum of $40 a pop. When your "account" gets to $10, they take out another $40.

    I avoid toll roads as much as I possibly can. I think it is absurdly expensive just to ride a few miles on those roads. During peak hours, they are just as stacked up as surface roads most of the time. If you work downtown, you could easily rack up $15-$20 a day in toll fees from where I live.
    Last edited by SueBee49; 10-15-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: add something

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. spinoff "frugal is fun" thread on "thoughts on compromising"
    By ladykemma2 in forum Home Decorating
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 04:12 PM
  2. Great idea for cash "envelopes"
    By DJ1972 in forum Envelope system
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 06:06 PM
  3. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 01:13 AM
  4. Our way of paying down our first "debt"
    By MomToTwoBoys in forum Debt Reduction & Money Management
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-25-2008, 06:02 PM
  5. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 02:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •