My brother is trying this system
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My brother is trying this system

I've used the envelope system for about 20 years now for our larger bills. Up to a year or so ago I've never considered using it for all our finances. Financially, it's the best thing we've ever done.

Well, my brother (who is a major spender) has finally realized he's in over his head and needs a budget. We spent all day yesterday setting him up on a budget. He liked the idea of using envelopes, so that's what he's trying. I think he will do well if he sticks to it. But he would do great if his live in girlfriend would get a job and help contribute! Their youngest is in 1st grade, so there's really no reason not to get a part time job while the kids are in school. I'm hoping the girlfriend stays on board. Her first question to my brother, after he finished explaining how things were going to change financially, was how she was going to go shopping the week after Christmas for the sales. I hope he can get her to understand they can't afford Christmas, let alone shopping the week after Christmas. My hope is they learn the difference between a need and a want.

I'm very nervous for them. I've always known they were spenders, but I didn't know they don't even have a savings account!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck to them. It's very hard when both people are not on the same page.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

doesnt sound so good. She sounds like she is a bit clueless about how the math works. Would they go to a D.R. class if it was a christmas gift? The videos are entertaining.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't expect miracles! Getting him to actually consider a budget is a huge step. Yes, she's completely clueless...not just about math...unfortunately. It's highly doubtful they would attend a Dave Ramsey class. I have books and have offered to let them borrow them. We will see what happens.

On a good note, my brother cut his cable bill down to $60/mo. (was $130) and his internet down to $35/mo. (was $55). Those are 2 huge steps for him. Every year they use their income tax return to pay their property taxes and go to Florida. As of now, they are not going on vacation and plan on using that money on debt.

They are moving in the right direction for now. Hope they keep it up!