Frugal Village Forums banner

My son won't beable to drive.

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  nodmicks 
#1 ·
Was today.

His visual field from side to side was 80 degrees. He needs 120 degrees to be able to drive.

He has colobomas in both eyes.
In his right eye all structures.

In his left he has a coloboma on the retina.

Before this test the Doctor always assured us he will be able to drive. The doctor seemed surprised by the results. He is sending us for a second opinion. But I think it was only to give my son hope and so he himself didn't have to deal with the disappointment that was beginning to show in my sons eyes.

My son was supposed to get his learners next month....

My son can't imagine living with out a car just now. We live in a very rural area with little public transportation. ...

It has been such a hard spring for him.
He was hit by a car while running during training. He was bruised but OK. Well he became fearful of running on the roads (who can blame him). He was also knocked out of his kayak during an important trial. He was trying to get around of a corner... couldn't see the boat beside him and he was flipped in by the other paddler.
No allowance has ever been made for his eyesight issues.

Then a few weeks ago he said he no longer wanted to paddle, and he wanted to focus on his music and DJing and composing. We understood of course... both interests were full time endeavors and he had to choose which to focus on...(in addition to school).

And now this. All his friends are either all ready driving or will be soon. He is so devastated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I am really sorry!

I live in a 'kinda rural' place where public transportation is minimal, so I can relate to your sons disappointment... "because if you can't walk there, you ain't getting there".

Go for the second opinion... even if there is an snowballs chance in hell that the original test was wrong... I heard it does get kinda cold there on occasions.

Let him do his 'thing'... on top of every thing else, he's still a teen boy. If he starts becoming reclusive, kick him in the backside and remind him there is a life outside the house.

There is a support group on yahoo for people & family members with Colobomas. Also, if he is serious about his sports, look in to alternative teams...

Big warm hugs for all of you!

Reactions: hollyhill
#3 ·
Oh, I can just imagine what a blow this must be to him.....having had two sons myself that age.

I do hope that his friends who can drive will be kind enough to come and pick him up when they are all going to do something together.

I will be praying that the second opinion is better. Or...that your son comes to a good place in his heart about it.

#4 ·
Poor thing! I hope the second opinion is positive. I amnglad he has interests that will help him stay focossed on the things he can do and do well. It will help. He will come to terms with it as time goes by but I so feel for him. ((hugs))

#5 ·
I'm sorry. I know how devastating it is to learn something like that. My oldest son will never be able to drive. The only colour he can see is blue and he cannot see the street lights. In fact, he can't tell when any lights are on due to a dimming effect.

Take heart, though. Your son will find a way to get around and be productive in life. My son has chosen graphic arts as his passion which is a little ironic but he has memorized the colour wheel and knows which colours blend with others. It's a monumental task but he's learned fairly quickly how to adapt. Your son will learn, too.

All that being said, a second opinion is always a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.