Thrifty ideas for keeping the kids entertained over Christmas break?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Thrifty ideas for keeping the kids entertained over Christmas break?

This is going to be the first year that I haven't been able to afford to take the kids anywhere interesting over the holiday break. We will be staying home, eating at home, and not driving the car anyplace if we can't help it. I have a few days off from work, too, so I will be able to enjoy my time spent with them.

I spent about $20 at the dollar store today getting some new arts and crafts supplies to add to what we already have. I also found simple cross stitch kits for $1. The girls have asked me to teach them how to cross stitch for quite some time and it's a great hobby. We are all into artsy stuff, so this is a great start. We also have lots of books and my apartment comes with 230 channels included in the rent, as well as movies "on demand" although I hate to rely on TV as our source of vacation entertainment.

The weather here is miserable this time of year, so outdoor activities aren't really on the agenda. Does anyone have any other thrifty ideas for our break?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about baking? From you siggy, it seems that they are a good age for you to show them basics like making biscuits or homemade cookies. It would kill two birds so to speak entertain them and create food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I unplugged the tv so they couldn't watch. I made them make their own fun. If they whined a bit too much I'd remind them that I could always find something fun for them to do. They knew this meant chores and found their own fun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could have a spa day with them. Have mani/pedis and make some homemade spa treatments with simple ingredients from your kitchen.

I know you plan on staying home, but you could make a trip to the library. They have lots of new release dvds, my library lets us reserve them online. My kids like to check out the new magazines there too.

If your kids like to dance, you could go to youtube.com and look up instructional videos on new or old school dance moves. Free fun.

Enjoy your kids and your break!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We always used school breaks, summer vacations as time to learn life skills - cooking, sewing, balancing check books, gardening, etc. And we used breaks to volunteer at various local charities and nursing homes.

I'm also of the mindset that kids don't need to be "entertained" all the time. Some downtime will allow their creative juices to flow, and allow them just be a kid for a bit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My sibs and I used to write and act out our own plays. We had to get pretty creative with sets and costumes, especially in light that we presented the play in the living room. But it was always a big deal to us to put it on for our most appreciative parents.

We also just spent time reading, playing games, cooking.... And my folks always had a job list for us. Just because it was break, didn't mean that the job list didn't continue.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I came across this in my email today:

Winter Boredom Busters for Kids The Simple Mom

Registered User DollarsOutOfDimes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love the ideas here, thank You so much for sharing !!
    I have a large family, and we have a day every week we go without all electricity, so anything that can be done in day light or under battery lights is great. Also our schools will be getting a winter break here next week and so I need all the help I can get entertaining the kids.

I don't know if many of you will frown upon what we do once a month, but I will share it just the same. I get a lot of candy with coupons and I put it in the stockpile only getting a bag or two out during special occasions.

Once in a while, I divide two bags of "snack size" candy bars between 4 or 5 players (depending on who is home) and get out a deck of cards. We play candy poker for 1 1/2 hours. We have a limit on time as well as a 2 bar bet. Everyone usually ends up wining getting a sandwich bag size of candy to eat at their own discretion.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This sounds like fun

Quote Originally Posted by DollarsOutOfDimes View Post
    I love the ideas here, thank You so much for sharing !!
    I have a large family, and we have a day every week we go without all electricity, so anything that can be done in day light or under battery lights is great. Also our schools will be getting a winter break here next week and so I need all the help I can get entertaining the kids.

I don't know if many of you will frown upon what we do once a month, but I will share it just the same. I get a lot of candy with coupons and I put it in the stockpile only getting a bag or two out during special occasions.

Once in a while, I divide two bags of "snack size" candy bars between 4 or 5 players (depending on who is home) and get out a deck of cards. We play candy poker for 1 1/2 hours. We have a limit on time as well as a 2 bar bet. Everyone usually ends up wining getting a sandwich bag size of candy to eat at their own discretion.