Car Seat Advice?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Car Seat Advice?

So... the more I look into the "next car seat" the crazier it gets.

I can spend anywhere from $70 to $400+ on a convertible car seat. DS is 9 months, but his infant carrier tops out at 22 lbs. He will be at 22 lbs before his first birthday in December, so I'm trying to shop around now.

Where by shop around, I mean brands - I am 95% sure I will buy at Babies R Us because we have $300 in gift cards. However, the gift cards are also no expiration and good at Toys R Us so it's not like we can't spend them on other things (like Christmas, birthday gifts etc). If there's a much better deal elsewhere, we can probably work it in to our regular spending and then have the gift cards for later.

What I can't figure out is safety wise if it matters which ones we get! I know the ones on the market have to meet all the same reqs, but some manufacturers do go above and beyond.

We will need 3 bases as none of his regular vehicles have the LATCH system so they are a pain to install and want to install once. Plan on asking the inlaws to pay for one of the three (for their car).

DS is also quite tall (less than 10th percentile on weight but above 50% on height.) He will probably continue to be tall and thin as DH has a healthy BMI of 15.

Thoughts? I don't want to skimp on safety, but I don't know if I'm actually skimping to go cheaper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ambroseya View Post
    We will need 3 bases as none of his regular vehicles have the LATCH system so they are a pain to install and want to install once. Plan on asking the inlaws to pay for one of the three (for their car).
    My guy has been in a booster for some time now, so I'm not completely current on the latest and greatest in car seats. However, back when I was well informed on the subject, seats with "bases" were limited to infant seats. Has that changed?

We've always used Britax or Radian seats.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well all car seats have to meet safety standards, so any new car seat will be "safe".

I have 2 alpha omega convertibles and we like them. I waited for sales and got one for $79 3 yrs ago and my sons for $120 last January.

My friend got 2 britax car seats which are not cheap. She paid 300+ each. This summer there was a recall on a britax model. So those brands that advertise better safety can also have problems.

As long as it's installed and used properly; I think choose the seat that works best for your vehicles.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by FrabjousDay View Post
    My guy has been in a booster for some time now, so I'm not completely current on the latest and greatest in car seats. However, back when I was well informed on the subject, seats with "bases" were limited to infant seats. Has that changed?

We've always used Britax or Radian seats.
    Yes, more than half the "convertible" seats seem to use bases. I thought so too until I started shopping, and once I realized that it became a necessity... I'm going to dislike switching seats - my current seat can be "strapped in" just like a person (well through special slots) so it fits just about anywhere easily with or without a base, which is super awesome, but I know that's rare and can't work that way for front facing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, brands like Britax can be expensive. However, if you keep your eyes open and watch sales you can find them discounted (signing up and following various parenting forums can be helpful). Our approach was to have a "nice" seat in our primary vehicle, and a secondary "budget" seat for use with other vehicles. Honestly, I dreaded touching the "budget" seats (with the exception of the Graco Nautilus which I mostly liked). Installation with the higher end brands was easier, they held up better to wear/tear, and our kiddo was more comfortable in them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd probably just buy two Graco Nautilus seats. I wish I had bought them for my twins as the convertible seat instead of my Safety First ones. At 3 years 5 months, my bigger twin already outgrew the Safety First seat, so I had to buy a bigger convertible seat. The Graco Nautilus has a higher weight and height limit for the 5 point harness than other convertible seats. And then you can use the booster for a long time too. You can buy two Graco Nautilus seats for the $300 in gc you have. That way you have one for each of your cars (since you said your parents are buying a carseat for their car)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a britax marathon in my car. I like it, easy-ish to strap dd in and well padded and easy-ish to install in the car.
    We also have an alpha-omega safety first in dh's car whichI hate: hard to strap dd in, pain to install, huge and cumbersome...
    I feel they are all equivalent safety wise... Just a matter of choosing which one you prefer according to your needs( what car do you have? Do you drive a lot? Wiggly baby?etc...)

Good luck with your decision!