Frugal Tips for a Family of Five in NYC
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Frugal Tips for a Family of Five in NYC

We live in a small apartment in the East Village and are always trying to save on food, clothing and extra-curricular expenses. I have found that Amazon Fresh is proably the best option for savings in terms of groceries and Misfits Market is incredible for great deals on produce (https://www.misfitsmarket.com/).

My wife gets amazing deals at Gap online for clothes. Our extra-curriculars for the kids are a major expense that are out of control however. Anyone have any tips or ideas? I wish I didn;t have to start a new thread whenever I have a question but I can't reply until I hit ten so my apologies.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't live in a city as big as NYC, but I'm sure there are similarities. There's always a TON of free stuff to do every week, for adults and kids. Festivals, museums, concerts, wine tastings, etc. I'm sure you can find a local paper with listings of free or cheap events, or a website that tracks things for your area. Make it a game to find the coolest free event each weekend.

Admin has tried to fix the 10 new posts thing, but unfortunately it continues to be a problem for new folks. Thanks for hanging in there, we are happy to see new faces.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yep same as ch said .. unless there are programs for lower income families to get subsidies for sports like swimming not much you can do. cheaper activities like scouts is always good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Volunteering? Like at the animal shelter or food pantry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our kids were active in something every season with some overlap. Eventually, they knew which one they liked best and we only had them play one sport. Saved us a ton with narrowing it down to one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Welcome. I live in a pretty high cost of living area as well, so it is nice to see I am not the only one. I live in a condo and it seems like there are not too many apartment/condo people here.

Are you looking for an activity that also double as a baby sitter? Or are you also open to ideas for things the kids can do at home?

Sometimes the public library or parks and recreations department will offer free or low cost activities. I think I spent a good chunk of my childhood just playing in the local park. Some places that are on the pricey side become cheaper if you buy a season pass. (Assuming you are going fairly often.)

I am going to suggest some "at home" type activities. Mostly because I do not know the specifics of what is available in your area.

I remember growing up - and also as an adult - enjoying playing board games with my family. Crafts are something that I have enjoyed as child and now as well. There are lots of craft type activities that are good for kids (or a joint kids and parent activity). Lots of crafts can be done pretty cheaply. Some are even money saving things, like modifying clothes that are torn/stained/too small.

Make snacks and simple foods with your kids. Teach them the basics of how to cook.

Encourage you children to read. Read the same books as you kids so you can talk about the books with them. I did that when my kid was still a kid. I read a big chunk of the Animophs series. I got teased a little bit by co-worker but when I explained what I was doing the she stopped teasing me.

Give you kids sketchbooks and encourage them to sketch things around the neighborhood.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Welcome. I live in a pretty high cost of living area as well, so it is nice to see I am not the only one. I live in a condo and it seems like there are not too many apartment/condo people here.

Are you looking for an activity that also double as a baby sitter? Or are you also open to ideas for things the kids can do at home?

Sometimes the public library or parks and recreations department will offer free or low cost activities. I think I spent a good chunk of my childhood just playing in the local park. Some places that are on the pricey side become cheaper if you buy a season pass. (Assuming you are going fairly often.)

I am going to suggest some "at home" type activities. Mostly because I do not know the specifics of what is available in your area.

I remember growing up - and also as an adult - enjoying playing board games with my family. Crafts are something that I have enjoyed as child and now as well. There are lots of craft type activities that are good for kids (or a joint kids and parent activity). Lots of crafts can be done pretty cheaply. Some are even money saving things, like modifying clothes that are torn/stained/too small.

Make snacks and simple foods with your kids. Teach them the basics of how to cook.

Encourage you children to read. Read the same books as you kids so you can talk about the books with them. I did that when my kid was still a kid. I read a big chunk of the Animophs series. I got teased a little bit by co-worker but when I explained what I was doing the she stopped teasing me.

Give you kids sketchbooks and encourage them to sketch things around the neighborhood.
    KathyB