Does your preschooler know your first name
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Does your preschooler know your first name

other than just "mommy" and daddy"?

OK really weird question I know. But today, DS teacher mentioned in the daily note she sends home (to let you know how their day went and what they did) she mentioned that we should "work with him on learning family member's names" I guess they asked him what mommy and daddy's name is- and of course he answered Mommy and Daddy- which I guess was not the answer they were looking for.

Does that sounds really strange to you that an almost 4 year old would be expected to know that?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Zachary knows ours, but I never thought of it as something he "should" know.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When this happened with Katie (age 4½), the teacher asked her what her mom's name was and she - of course - said "Momme".....then the teacher said "I understand that, but what does your daddy call her...?" She said Katie thought a minute and said "Honey".....!

I always thought that was part of the innocence of babies!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awww Debbie I think that's SO cute! If a teacher asked my kids what Daddy calls me I hate to think what would come out of their mouths!

My little one (3 years) knows my name but she can't say it LOL - apparently I'm Bebley But I never 'taught' her it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, my 3 yr old does. I don't think I've ever thought that she "should" know that at her age though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Julia has occasionally called us Amy and Robert since she was about 2, but it's not something we thought she should know. Like if we're sitting around the dinner table, she'll say, "That's Amy's seat, Robert's seat, and Julia's seat!" Then we say, "Yes, but YOU call us Mommy and Daddy." It's just something she's picked up along the way as we call each other by our first names, but certainly not something we've taught her. I wonder what the thought behind that request is? Maybe if they get lost so they can say who their parents are?
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the thought behind this is so that your children can give that information to someone if they ever become lost or separated from you. We taught all of our children our full names, town they live in and phone numbers from a very early age. At 3 our sons all knew our names and town we lived in, but 5 they all knew our phone number as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I asked the teacher when I dropped him off this AM- and that's exactly what she said- incase they wonder off in a store- an employee could help him find us. She said they also teach the 2 and 3 year old group there the same thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

funny I don't know if they know our first name, I bet they know mine for being in groups and people calling me by my names but I don't know if they would know their daddy's name was Rick I almost always call him honey and almost never call him Rick so I don't know...

Eileen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it is a neccisity for your child to learn this as early as possible.

There was a small boy 3yrs old here who's step-dad beat his mom then took him to the grocery store and left him there in a shopping cart. When people asked him his mommy's name..he didn't know it...when they asked about his daddy he only knew that daddy had hurt mommy. The boy's uncle saw the news report and called in to identify the little guy.

I have made sure since then that in case anything every happened, AJ knows his first and last name, he knows my first and last name.daddy's first and last name.and he knows his auntie's first and last name. I have also started working with him on our address and phone number.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember when that happened this winter- that was just so awful. Did they ever find the mother? What happened with that?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Laura..

not sure... alot of things drop out of the media like it was never important.. I am sure they covered it, but of course that would be a night that dh or ds was hogging the tv..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sometimes my dd will call my dh by his fist name and I always correct her. But I dont think she knows my first name.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ours have always known our first and last names plus other important info. It was something my parents made sure I knew in case of an emergency so it was only natural we made sure our kids knew it as well.

Knowing personal information came in handy when I was 3. My mom and I were in a serious accident on an isolated back road. A couple found our car upside down, my mom had been thrown from it and was not conscience. I was sitting next to her, pretty much unharmed. I was able to tell the couple my name, my mom and dad's name, the doctor my mom worked for, my home phone number and the phone number to the doctor's office my mom worked for.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wesley knows that his name is Wesley John McDowell. He knows that Mommy's name is Nichole and that Daddy's name is Zac. We taught him his full name and our names pretty early because we wanted him to be able to tell people who he was and his parents name in the event that he got separated from us. He always calls us Mommy and Daddy though, except when he is trying to push his luck, then he calls me Mom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast