Anyone use cloth diapers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone use cloth diapers?

I've been looking to buy some cloth diapers for Jayme.I'm not talking the ones our parents used ...today they make some with velcro LOL

Has anyone tried these..?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...321695519&rd=1

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You know I don't have kids Tammy, but everytime I tried to diaper one of my nieces or nephews with those plastic things, it would take me a few tries to get it right!

Give me an old fashion diaper and some pins any day!

Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you know? I seems there used to be a member here that made cloth dialers with velcro sides and they were soooo cute. I remember seeing a pic somewhere here. I will do a search on ask.com and such and see what I can find...I'd love to make some myself for the baby on the way...oooooh! and maybe some trainers for DD!! Might get her potty trained that way!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do cloth.

I make and sell the fitted kinds

Been using cloth since my oldest was born. so 3 and a half years.

any questions I have a TON of answers and sites.

[email protected]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i do like the kushies ones. I have a few. But I did find that the inner plastic does wear out. I ended up cutting a hole and pulling it out.

You would also need a cover for them. The kushies do a good job of soaking but still they don't get everything.

I love the designs for the kushies, nice and simple and easy to fit around a skinny kid!

Here is a picture of my Victoria in one of the diapers I made...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Isn't she a cutie pie!!! Great looking diaper. What materials do you find work best? and what do yours secure with? Velcro? snaps?....and what is a "kushie"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry, Kushies are a brand name. They have a whole line of different baby items.

My diapers are 2 layers of flannel, with a fleece centre pad (soaker). I prefer to use velcro as it is easier to adjust than snaps.

I have been making diapers out of old tshirts and sweatshirts though. A couple from old pairs of jeans too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been looking at buying a few but unsure which is best etc...Could you tell me what AIO means..? Do all cloth diapers need covers? I have read you just wash and line dry..never put them in the dryer..is that correct..?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

AIO is all in one. There is a plastic layer inside to protect from leaks.

I always use a cover for all my diapers. I have a bunch of covers that are basically the same shape as a diaper just a bit bigger, they velcro over top of the diaper.

To wash I put into the washer for a prewash load, then an hour or so soak with detergent and or vinegar (to get rid of the ammonia smell). Double rinse. If there is sunshine I hang them on the line to dry. the sunshine helps to get rid of discolouration. I toss in the dryer on fluff before I fold and put away. If the sun isn't making an appearance I toss them in the dryer on low heat.

I don't put the covers in the dryer as the heat wears out the material. Also fold the velcro parts over so there isn't one long line of diapers.

There is a great site about diapering. www.diaperpin.com

it has some great people and information. I go there quite often.

One thing you should never use is bleach. It weakens the fabrics and makes them not too stable (which is why a lot of my first ones from my first dd wore out).

I started using cloth, but only had the flat squares and covers. I have just recently found about all of this fun stuff about diapers (the fitted and AIO and such). MY dh calls it a culture.

any other questions?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cloth diapered one for over 3 years (ya, I said 3) and am getting ready for number two. I've tried what seems like every diaper out there. Kushies are not on my list of recommended brands.

I'd recommend the following:
    Mother-ease
    Kissaluvs
    Cloth Baby
    BoDinks (only available used these days - they aren't being made anymore)
    Alexis covers
    Chinese prefolds with Nikky Covers
    Aristocrat wool covers

My initial investment (after reselling dipes and covers that I ended up not liking) ran to about $500. That did it for 3 years for one kid and all diapers and covers are in good enough shape to do another kid = potentially $500 for 6 years of diapering....and more than likely will be in good enough shape to re-sell after this one is finished.

check out http://www.borntolove.com for reviews and there are a few good sale/trade lists on Yahoogroups including "diaper addicts" and "diaper swap".

Maria

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whats the average price per diaper? I've only checked on ebay and don't know whats good,bad (other than what you 2 have posted..).

I wanted a couple for home use...is it really worth it just to have a few? How many would I need..?

Thanks for all the info

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I sell my diapers for $10 (includes the diaper and 2 soakers). I think that is about the general price. Plus shipping. I do the exact shipping from the canada post website.

I don't really care for kushies either. Just the style of them, not the constructiuon. The covers aren't too bad, but then I don't have any other covers.

I have probably only spent about $100. A lot of my stash was flats (12 for $10 at sears), garage sales, and friends who got them as gifdts and would never consider using. Also I hit up a lot of the thrift stores (there are sometimes the irregulars hanging around some of them - got 2 dozen dimples brand for $1 each they have odd snaps and some are missing).

I used the flats and covers for the first 3 years, and am now getting more savvy! I haven't tried any of the name brand ones other than dimples, and kushies.

good luck It is a lot of fun and extremely addicting once you get into it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Christine! I've never thought of cloth diapering as fun and addicting LOL but then again I've never used any
    When I think of cloth diapers I think of my aunt diapering my cousin using those big ol yellow pins LOL
    Till recently,I never knew these pretty diapers were around..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast