low cost fun activities
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question How do you keep your kids entertained over the summer?

As a sahm I sometimes find it hard to keep these little darlings entertained all the time,esp when dh gets home real late.Here are some things I do,feel free to add cause I need more ideas

trips to the library for story time
    play at the park
    make kool-aid play-doh
    water fights in the back yard
    nature hunts
    play softball
    board games when it rains

I would like to start getting out of the house more and doing fun things,we have a zoo in atlanta but I wouldn't ever go there by myself(not a safe area)there is a miniature golf place that dd loves that occasionaly i will take her,also about every 3 mo or so we go to chucky cheese'sBut other than that we are home bodies.
    Need great creative ways to keep these kids entertained

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL...I was just discussing this with my mother....it seems that the boys and I just PLAY all summer...and yet ....it wears me out!!
    My mother reminded me that when SHE was a little girl (and one of 10 children...) they were sent outside and left to their own devices every morning after breakfast...and not allowed back in the house unless someone was bleeding until suppertime!!

me and the boys.....
    go to the pool.....
    go to the local natural history museum....
    go to the park for picnic lunches and playground time...
    library for story time.....
    the tent is always good to set up in the backyard and let them play in....keeps em occupied for a day or two

and especially for the little'uns...I keep gallons and gallons of bubble mix and a bunch of individual no-spill bubble cups ...we take those things EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This will be a little more challenging this year with the baby. I usually take older DD's to the library alot. They could spend hours there! Our library has comfy chairs and couches to lounge in and read.

They like to go roller skating, so I try to take them once or twice. DD2 usually gets a free pass from her school, and they take their own rollerblades. I feel okay with dropping them off and picking them up later. The place we go is very strict and they stay together.

My mom's church has its own pool, so that's free, but it's 20 minutes away. We can stay there all day if we want. It's usually not very crowded. Some days we have it all to ourselves.

I go with my SIL to a mall. She has a DD6 and DS3, so we meet with all of our coupons at a local mall and just hang out. We have lunch with our coupons and do some clearance shopping. We try to do a different mall every couple of weeks. The kids just love it!

Philadelphia is just 15 minutes away and full of museums. I would like to try to go to a couple of them this summer. I can use my AAA card to get a discount. My mom usually helps me with the cost by paying half. The Franklin Institute, the Phila Zoo, etc. DD2 said she would like to go to the Art Museum. I know they have free admission on Sundays, so this is something we could do. DH has no interest in this stuff, so we go without him.

AC Moore has kids make and take crafts on Tuesdays and Thursdays and it's free. Amanda, your DD is old enough for this and she would probably love it. My kids do and they are older.

Of course, my older DD's are beginning to have a social life, so they will probably spend some time with their friends over the summer.

This is a great thread. Any other ideas would be great!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Well with a 24 month old it is hard to keep her entertained!!

Well with a 24 month old it is hard to keep her entertained!!
    We blow bubbles!!
    We read stories!!
    We watch movies!!
    We take walks !!
    We pick flowers!!
    We play with Puzzles!!
    We play pretend!!
    We draw !!
    We color!!
    We Sing!!
    That is pretty much it for us!!

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A friend of mine who is a teacher continues the theme weeks that she does at school all year during the summer with her kids. The week before a trip to the shore they spend the week reading stories and watching videos about the beach, shells, lighthouses etc One week is bug week, catching fireflies, checking bug books out of the library, bug themed crafts. One week is fruit and veggie week-they plant a tomatoe and other plants, try new exotic fruits, again a craft to go along with. Another week is farm week-they research farm animals then visit a local farm. She has been really succesful with this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jerseygirl that is a great idea.My sister works in a daycare and they do something similar.I think I am going to try this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question rainy day activities for kids?

Name some rainy day activities to do with the children.
    We're almost at a good age/stage to do baking now.

Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here are a couple of ideas:

Bake cupcakes or cookies
    Have an indoor treasure hunt
    Play "tent" with a sheet and some chairs
    Make sock puppets and put on a show
    Play board games like CandyLand or Chutes & Ladders

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our granddaughters love to have tea parties when it rains. We use a real teapot from my collection and we try different herbal teas. I buy fancy cups, when I see them at the thrift shop or at yard sales. No problems if someone drops a cup!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We like to dig for treasure. I hide small objects (a pretty stone, costume jewelry, tiny toys) in a pile of homemade playdough and let the kids play archeologist with forks and spoons and dig them out.

We also like shaving cream baths. I strip the kids and put them in the dry tub with lots of shaving cream to play in. (Careful though it can get slippery) When they are done I just run water and wash them off. Of course then they smell like daddy from the shaving cream fragrance. They really love doing this.

This isn't a rainy day activity, but when it is too cold to play outside during winter I put a bucketful of snow in the kitchen sink and let them stand on a chair and play in it with their toys.

What a great thread! You can never have too many rainy day ideas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i really like the shaving cream idea. i used to work at a daycare a long time ago and the kids always loved playing in shaving cream. i think i'm gonna try it with our kids in the tub too. (and shaving cream is pretty inexpensive) just think they can write or draw pictures on the shower walls! how fun!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 7 Family Cooking Activities

Have fun teaming up in the kitchen with your kids!

Spending time in the kitchen with your children can be creative and delicious! Cooking with parents allows children to learn valuable culinary skills that will last them a lifetime, develop good nutritional habits, channel their creative energies, improve coordination and dexterity through chopping and stirring, and gain a well-earned sense of pride (just watch them beam when they say, "I made it myself!").

Bear in mind that dinner will take longer to prepare with your kids' help. Indeed, the first few cooking sessions together, especially with young children, may involve more effort (and more mess!), so you'll need to add an extra dash of patience and a splash of humor to your cooking experience. Here are some activities to try with your kids as you set off on your great culinary adventure:

1. Post a pyramid. Post a copy of the Food Guide Pyramid on your refrigerator, and invite kids to help plan family meals that include the recommended servings from each of the food groups. This way they'll learn how to make sound nutritional choices and eat a balanced diet.

2. Encourage kids to participate. Every recipe has some type of valuable task a child can do, even if it's simply rinsing lettuce or cracking an egg. Let children do real work like scraping carrots, measuring ingredients, or whatever jobs they can perform safely at their age. Giving children a task shows them that food preparation is important. In addition, those who may be reluctant to eat vegetables or other foods might be less squeamish if they've had a hand in preparing them.

3. Have a cultural food night. Together with your kids, plan and make a meal from another country, such as Mexico, Italy, or Japan. Bring out a globe or look at a picture of the country and its people, and discuss how the geography and climate determine the types of food people eat and the ingredients they use.

4. Talk and read! Toddlers can learn simply by watching and listening. Give them measuring spoons or some plastic utensils to play with while you talk to them about what you're doing. Ask school-age kids to read a simple recipe out loud. This way, everyone knows what the recipe requires, and kids can practice their reading skills. After your child reads through the recipe, decide which tasks each child (and adult) will perform.

5. Divide or double recipes. When you cut a recipe in half or double it, you use essential math skills, such as division and multiplication. Pick simple recipes that are easy to halve or double, like soups and sauces. (Avoid baked goods like cookies and cakes, since they often don't turn out well when ingredients are altered.)

6. Shop with kids. Instead of simply dragging children along to the market, involve them in the shopping process. Ask children to weigh produce, so they can learn about weights and measures. Let kids practice math skills by counting out the money at the register. When kids help pick out foods to cook, they tend to eat them more readily. Let them choose a new healthy food to try each week, such as a fruit, vegetable, cheese, or bread (not a new cookie or candy!).

7. Be inventive. Think of creative ways to use your kitchen as a classroom. For instance, play the spice cabinet ABCs (A is for allspice, B is for basil, C is for curry, etc.). Explain how to set the table using a clock drawn on a paper plate (glasses go at the 2:00 position, forks are placed at 9:00, and so on). In one family I know, parents pick the main course and offer their kids a menu of side dishes (usually leftovers). The kids order from the menu and pay for the meal with play money. Not only do the kids think this is oodles of fun, but they also eagerly eat their meal while their parents find a welcome audience for leftovers!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great ideas!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the ideas...... Cooking with the kids is fun.......

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast