Hey everyone I need some advice
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Hey everyone I need some advice

Well. I am 34 weeks pregnant now so I don't have long until the new baby comes. When he is born dd will be almost 15 months old. Do you moms with kids who are close in age have any advice for handling the first 6 months or so? I know it will be a tough time and am trying to prepare by making things around the house a little more organized. Anyone have any good tips or advice on how to deal with this time? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Believe me!!!
    Thanks
    Lisette

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let your dd help you as much as possible. Find ways for you to spend time with dd for some one on one quality time. Prior to visitors coming to see the new baby remind them to spend some time with dd first. Is easy for her to get jealous when grandparents, aunts and uncles come because she has been the focus of all the attention going to a baby.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default A little help from me

Hi, mine are 17 months apart (now 3 and almost 5) I really did try to lay down in the afternoon when they were both napping. Resist the urge to get chores done and rest. Your body will thank you, better to try and get your chores done at times when the baby is napping (as they do so much in the begining). I second about being sure people pay attention to the older child as well. Nothing irked me more than when people would dote all over a baby and not my Son who was just about standing on his head trying to get attention. I also bought an inexpensive stash of little toys for my son so that when people brought gifts for baby he got a little something too and did not feel left out, be sure to wrap it loosely in some gift wrap (cheap Christmas works well) it makes them fee so special! I suffered severe Postpartum (I am talking hospitalization severe) so be sure to take care of yourself as best you can and if you have anyone who can help (I did not) take advantage of their genorosity. And lastly, not sure how your hospital does things but when I had my oldest I was going to be Supermom and have him in my room at night in the hospital (I was nursing him) when I had my 2nd I told them "give her a bottle and bring her in around 6am" this way at least I got to rest in the hospital because Lord knows you will not rest much when you get home. Hope this helps.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't worry about the house, nap when you can & enjoy the kids. That's it in a nutshell. Oh, don't stay housebound, get out and go for walks & visits.
    Enjoy!

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My two youngest are 15 months apart and get along wonderfully. The older never had any jealously issues, he was just curious about the baby - but we don't have any family or friends here so no one ever came to fuss over the baby.

Everyone kept telling me how awful those 6 months were going to be, how hard it was going to be, they went on and on about it and really it wasn't that bad. The only problem, of course, was lack of sleep - both were still waking several times a night. So I would say that the only advice I have is to sleep any chance you get, always choose sleep over housework.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My kiddos were 30 seconds apart (TWINS!!) but I concur with the advice - SLEEP before housework and PLAY with kids before housework. Enjoy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was extremely lucky in the fact that I too had an even older sibling... My daughter helped out tremendously when my second son was born 19 months after his brother... I would spend time with Craig, but when I needed "alone" time with Jared, Roari (big sister) would have no problems helping keep Craig busy.. Sleep when they sleep, and by all means, do not deny someones offer to help.... It is really nice to be able to have that bath or walk, or what ever YOU need or want by yourself, and not be worried about the kids... Don't forget about yourself..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My boys are 14 months apart and things were rough for a bit. I agree it's really important to get the other kids involved, but also to try and keep their routine as normal as possible. Too much change for everyone at once makes for lots of crabby people!

I will say now that my boys are 3& 4 I couldn't be happier they are so close in age. They are best friends and do everything together.

I also agree, remember to take time for yourself

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for the advice. One good thing is having ds who is 9. So even when dh is at work 2nd shift ds will be there. He can be a big help sometimes. So, at least at most times of the day I will be able to run upstairs and go to the bathroom.. .lol. Maybe be actually able to get some food on the table for dinner. lol. I'm sure everything will fall into place eventually. I've been coming up with some things that will help organization when baby comes. Trying to get everything in some sort of order and getting rid of things we don't use /want.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine are 19 mos apart and while I found it easier than I'd expected, it was still an adjustment. I put baskets of diapering supplies in every room, pretty much, as well as 'busy baskets' for my son to dig into when I was nursing the new baby. Decluttering was HUGE, bins for all toys to easily go into so cleanup was quicker than ever. We also don't use top sheets, just removable duvet covers that go into the wash with the fitted sheet; this made pulling up the beds extra quick in the mornings or after naptimes, and helped keep the rooms looking more presentable (which helps keep me sane).

I also baked (or asked friends to bring) easy to eat snackfoods, like granola bars and muffins. Fast to feed to the other kid(s) and easy for me to eat with one hand while nursing.

Paring down wardrobes made life easier, too. I pretty much made myself a 'uniform' drawer, lol. I also tried to make sure I threw a load of laundry in on my way to bed each night, and DH would throw it in the dryer in the morning. Then I'd fold it, maybe, throughout the day sometime and DH would put it away when he got home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't second, or third or even fourth everyone elses advice hard enough!!! My kids are 2 yrs and 2 weeks apart. I actually made it a rule when people came over to visit my youngest they had to first pay attention to oldest son and not rush over to smother and coo at baby. (and to be honest not a single one of them minded or had a problem with it, which was lucky for them lol). Also,...give yourself permission to totally let house go. As long as you end the day with everyone being fed, and changed, and having smiled at least once then you've done a great job! The laundry, and cleaning and all that will still be there waiting for you, for many yrs to come lol. One other thing that really helped us was I totally involved oldest with baby. I tried to let him hold or talk to baby whenever and as much as he wanted no matter how tired I was (and didnt always succeed lol) hoping to help them bond and make him feel like the baby was his too and he was a part of the whole thing. I was very lucky (and I totally admit 95% of it was luck lol) and we didnt have any jealousy issues. Good luck and hang in and just remember eventually they become older and best friends and built in pals lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

NAP. Whenever and wherever possible. A well-rested mom is a happier mom.