Where to find Used Diapers/prefolds cheap?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Where to find Used Diapers/prefolds cheap?

I am willing to use lightly used cloth diapers, but where in the world would you look locally. Online people are trying to sell Indian Prefolds Used for $1-2 a peice.. which is what they are regularly!! Then they want even more for dyed ones, i don't care if they are dyed i would just like plain ones.

BumGenious 2.0's going for $13 a peice which they were $14.95 on sale. Doesn't make since that retail value should be so much for used diapers.

Anyone got any ideas?

I tried one of the nice consignment stores in town ( also stuck up ) they had some cloth covers for over diapers but no cloth diapers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would suggest the area nearest you at craigslist
    http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites.html

They are very handy in my area

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been looking there and had no luck.. i guess cloth diapering isnt a popular thing??

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

least not in my area

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm... I have a friend who uses cloth. I know she has gotten some off ebay. She also goes to another site, something about mama's or something like that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have kids yet but am doing a lot of research on cloth diapering. I find it odd that used diapers are usually only $1-$2 less than a brand new one! The cheapest I've found the cloth or pre-folds is $1. I'll let you know if I find a good deal somewhere!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

YUp the $1 is usually for te premie or infants... now i am looking for premium i believe.. cause most of the time my family has larger babies 10lb or so.. i have 12newborn and 12infant premiums of indian prefolds... from what i have read they hold moisture the best.

*lol* my mom told me i was walking and eating "solid food"( aka runny warm cereals like oatmeal and cream of wheat ) by 6mo. should i panic now ??*lol*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I bought my diapers for a dollar a piece at Walmart. The expense, I found, was in the covers at Kelly'scloset.com and thanksmama.com. I have loved using cloth diapers. Hope you are able to find what you need.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah i looked at the birdseye and gerber flats at walmart .. they are what my mom used on me with plastic pants as she calls them.

She said they leaked BADLY because they were not absorbant. I think i mist have been a fast grower or a big pee-er.. plus i got sick and supposedly had blow outs every which direction but in the diaper *lol*

My gram said she used 24 diapers to cloth each of her children.. im thinking okay most people say their newborn goes through 28 diapers a day *lol* so panic 24 isn't enough.. Who knows though every baby is different.

Joes mom clothed him with old Tshirts and sweatshirts and towels what ever they had at the time. I even got patterns to make diapers from t shirts and what not just incase. I really should make a few though.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

24 is about right. Any baby that goes through 28 diapers a day either has serious digestive trouble or an obsessive compulsive mother.

The gerber flats are absolutely worthless. I actually ended up using them for cheesecloth.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gerber Pre-Folds are the best with some decent diaper covers. I used the covers that had velcro on them. I had about 3 or 4 on hand for whatever size DD was in. I used cloth with DS 16 years ago with pins and plastic pants - I was sooo happy to see that times had changed.
    Okay, another idea for keeping pee and poo off little ones bum is use a liner. I am not talking about the cheap flushable type - they don't work until you start on solids anyway. You can make them with fleece material. Get some fleece from the fabric store and cut a piece similar to an hourglass to fit inside the diaper. Fleece is the best material to keep the wetness on off of little ones. I got this idea when we lived in the UK - I found them on eBay.co.uk. I bought some and they work!! Also - I used a disposable at night when my DD started sleeping through the night - no use in having a wet diaper wake her up. Until then double up the diaper and use a liner. Good luck and it's awesome that you are cloth diapering
    Dianne

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My grammie i found out is making me some flannel diapers like she did my mom when i was a baby. My mom found an original diaper. I believe they are flats since my grandmother has no idea what pocket diapers are.

I have 3 bum genious 2.0 in my collection i think they are going to be prized gems.. i have microfiber towels, indian prefolds, will have fleece, and the inserts that came with them so i will be able to stuff them really good for at night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ebay has supposedly stopped selling used cloth diapers so that wouldn't be the greatest place to try. If you are handy you could sew your own prefolds, or fitteds, or all-in-ones. There are free patterns and how-to's out there. (or if your grammie would be willing, they're not difficult!) I made about 24 for my newborn but she only lasted a week in them - big (for me) baby at 8 lbs! LOL!

If you participate on some of the online parenting/baby forums (mothering, babycenter and there are others), many have swaps or swap days there, and they also do for sales. Not sure why the used cloth dipes are holding their prices so high. One thing I know I bought my dy-dee prefolds which I never used because I hated them for more than $1.

As for covers, I just ended up knitting my own. My littlest was in cloth from 2 weeks til about 18 months and she wore mostly handknit wool - which in itself is a whole 'nother world of cloth diapering. LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry craigslist isn't working out for you. Some mommy friends of mine found free and cheap used diapers from other moms at our local hospital mom's groups. They got them from the moms with older babies/toddlers. Freecycle might even work.

And let me tell you what I think about covers! Get a couple of really good wool ones. They never leak and they are more comfy for baby. I just rotate between two, letting the other dry while he wears one. I only have to wash them every couple of weeks and then I rub some lanolin on them to keep them leakproof. I was so thrilled with the bum genius...at first. Then they got stinky and I cannot seem to get the smell out. I've tried all the remedies I can find. I have much better luck with prefolds and wool covers and baby doesn't have some weird petroleum-based fiber next to his bottom. Just my two cents! Or three...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Try diaperswappers.com they have FSOT boards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast