Should I Get my Grandfather A Gift?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Should I Get my Grandfather A Gift?

I am thinking of as to whether I will get my grandfather a gift or not. We are not blood-related he is my grandmother second husband. Last month, I did bought my grandma a present, and when I pay them a visit last Saturday my grandpa reminds me that it is Father's day next week. I don't celebrate this occasion since my dad passed away when I was 5-years old. Usually I bring my grandpa a cake, he loves eating desserts, but lately, I feel like he is kind of demanding. He always tells me that he wants new shoes, watch, and clothes. Now, I don't know as to whether I need to get him this stuff or not. My other cousins or even his own child don't get him the things that he wants and they always say that he is old, he don't need it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wouldn't do it just because he demands something. But if you saw something you thought would be useful to him, you could give him something small (like socks - ha ha) along with the cake. In other words a "present" to open. Then if he complains remind him you already gave him a present. His reaction should tell you if he just wants attention or really wants the items he says he wants.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It sounds to me like your grandfather has reached an age where he is not afraid to speak his mind and he is being rather blunt about it. This happens with many "old" people. They don't care if you think they are being rude or demanding, they are past dancing around social niceties and are being directly honest with you.

If he wants new shoes or clothes why not get him something? At least you don't have to guess what he wants. Would you buy gifts for friends or family your own age if they asked for something specific like a new watch? Being "old" doesn't mean he doesn't deserve nice, new things. Giving gifts isn't about "need", it's about showing honor, respect, and gratitude.

Deciding to NOT give a gift because someone is "old" is ageist and discriminatory. It's as bad as deciding not to give a gift based on his gender, race or religion. Our elders deserve respect and dignity like everyone else.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well said Contrary Housewife.....I agree....I'm at "that" age.....I find I don't put up with what use to be okay...
    I think you should bake him a cake and give him a gift. A shirt would be nice.....he will appreciate it and show you are listening to him....Lots of old people find others talking "at" them and not "to" them....telling them what to do and when.....not asking....there was an article in ARRP magazine this month about this....