Frugal Summer Fun?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Frugal Summer Fun?

Frugal Summer Fun?-paddling.jpg

"Warm weather and longer days make everybody want to get out of the house and have some fun. Unfortunately, most types of entertainment don’t come for free. But, there are still plenty of ways you can enjoy yourself this summer without breaking the bank." 6 Ways to Have Fun This Summer for Under $100
    What ways have you found to have fun, during the hot summer months, without breaking the bank?
    Follow Frugal Village on Facebook and Pinterest!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not under $100, but that kayak in the pic above isn't under $100 either. Here's our favorite way to enjoy the lake we live on, although we're late getting them into the water this year due to other priorities. There's nothing like being out for a good pedal on the water.

We also enjoy camping. A campsite in our area with an electric hookup runs about $25/night, not bad for a relaxing weekend. This pic was taken in Wyoming, but you get the idea. If you're talking about under $100 a day, we can usually do a two-week (16-day), 2,000 mile vacation for around $1,200, including souvenirs and gas. Actually it's probably less than that with gas prices so low now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in LOVE with your camper!
    Follow Frugal Village on Facebook and Pinterest!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

But you could probably rent a kayak for a day for under $100.

We had game nights growing up. We did it with our son growing up and now as a couple.

I am fortunate that in our area (Washington DC) the zoo and most of the museums are free.

Sometimes local attractions will have discount days. It is also worthwhile to check to memberships (a yearly pass for individuals or families) for places you really like. Some places are pricey to visit once, but if you have a yearly pass and visit often, the price per visit is pretty low. For example, the Baltimore Aquarium is outrageously expensive at $40 for an adult and $25 for a child. That would be $130 for a family of two adults and two children. But a family pass for the year is only $195. So if you got a family pass and went once a month, it would only be $16.25 per visit.

Also look for free local festivals. And bring your own food.

The city I grew up in had a minor league baseball team. They would have a few family nights where a family could get in for a reduced price. We went for a few times till we realized that none of us particularly liked baseball. My mom did not care for it, but she thought it would be fun for my brother and me. But we did not care for it much either. But it might be something your family would like. But make sure they like baseball first. Other sports might offer similar things. I think this suggestion only works if you live in a town the right size for a minor league (or the equivalent) team. Tickets for that are significantly cheaper than going to a big team.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We get a yearly membership to the zoo. Its not far from us and we usually go every week. The membership also gets us discounts or 1 free at other zoos so thats a nice day trip. The art museum has a free day too. We also have alot of walking trails in our town.

Everything we do is way under 100.00 but it works for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're in love with our camper, too. We do a lot of long distance travel which includes a lot of overnight stays. It sets up in less than one minute, but folds down for towing so it has very little impact on gas mileage and also is low enough to draft behind the truck and not catch wind like a taller trailer.

I thought about the rental angle for the 'yak, too. I think it depends on if it's an activity a person would want to do once in a while or every weekend. I live in a town that bills itself as the canoe capitol of the world (also the sled dog capitol of the world-now there's an expensive activity!) but I have no idea what it costs to rent a canoe or kayak. That has some variables too, I'm sure. I know it's not difficult to spend thousands buying a new high-end canoe. OTOH, we sold our vintage aluminum one for $50, or maybe it was $100, I forget. Then the only expenses would be annual license (cheap), paddles, and PFDs.

When our kids were young, we'd have movie night where we had pop, which was a treat because we didn't let the kids have pop often, and popcorn and other HM treats. The kids got out sleeping bags and watched movies till they fell asleep on the living room floor. They loved it and it didn't cost much of anything. Our kids loved games, too, and we had lots of those bought cheap from thrifts and garage sales.

We also had an annual zoo membership when we lived in Minneapolis and spent a lot of time there.

Most of us weren't baseball fans either but at the time (1980s), we could buy Twins tickets for $2 each. So for our family of ten, we could go for $20. We did that fairly often because we did not have AC in our house and the stadium was always 72 degrees. It was a good break especially during heat waves.

Now that we've been empty nesters for a couple of decades, we're more willing to spend more on entertainment. We waited a long time to be able to afford to travel and do some other things, so we are following through now on some of the plans and dreams we had years ago.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My local library has discount passes to different places. I haven't tried them but there were people who checked them out when I was spending a lot of time using their wi-fi. Then again, I'm sure many libraries offer free events (like book clubs or occasional movie nights) as well as access to their books and/or DVDs.

I'm also lucky to live in a area with a lot of historical sites that have either cheap entrance fees (even if it's just parking fees). One of the historical site/parks offers open air theater show that are relatively cheap. So, checking out local area parks to see what they offer is always a good thing.

Gardening can be a bit pricey up-front but getting fresh veggies throughout the summer and early fall is worth it in my opinion. That and the exercise is a good thing as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live near 3 libraries that all offer a monthly craft class for free. That is alot of fun. I have done crochet, made keychains, canvas painting, made the painted bottles with string of lights inside. Just went to a class that made yoyos and then attached to a canvas bag with ribbon stems and felt leaves. very easy and cute. and free

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm lucky where i live as we have many street festivals that are free,we have actually Motor-Rama coming up it's New England Cruizin and our streets,parking areas are nothing but,cars and vendors it is one big event and it's totally free,we have our food festivals which is the whole town it's free,and we have so many more this all goes on till late fall early winter.We also have free state parks and we have free days at our art museum as well,there are alot of free goings on around here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is still fairly warm weather in Texas. This weekend my son, g'baby and I are going to the huge Canino farmer's market in Houston. I'm giving him $25 to spend on veggies, I'm going to spend $25 on veggies for me, and $25 to buy some of the fresh delicious Mexican food available throughout the market. We get to spend time together, and each go home with a big crate of veggies ($25 buys a lot there, a lot more than at the store).
    Beware that there are a lot of 'fake' high priced farmer's markets popping up everywhere, read local reviews to see whether the farmer's market you want to visit is the real deal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Me and my DS walked all over the farmer's market, had a great meal, and came home with a lot of stuff. 50 lbs onions for $17. 30 lbs carrots for $10. 15 lbs oranges for $5. a box of sweet peppers and one of tomatoes, and some melons.
    Great buys. My poor feet hurt after all the walking.