What special summertime treats do you like to make?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What special summertime treats do you like to make?

What special summertime treats do you like to make?-popsicles.jpg
    Nothing is more refreshing during the heat of summer than a frozen treat. Unfortunately, many of the popsicles you buy in stores are made with refined sugar and artificial ingredients. If you want to cool down in a more natural way, consider making your own homemade popsicles. Stay Cool with These Tasty Homemade Popsicles
    What special summertime treats do you like to make?

Feel free to share recipes!
    Follow Frugal Village on Facebook and Pinterest!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We like fresh fruit, especially watermelon but these homemade popsicles look really good.
    I think I will try some.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is an article on the site for another summertime treat idea that is making me drool.

What special summertime treats do you like to make?-smores.jpg

Every child loves to make símores, but you donít always have a campfire handy. Just because you canít make símores in the traditional way, however, doesnít mean that your kids have to miss out on the experience. There are plenty of creative (and tasty) ways to enjoy this toasted treat. Creative Ways to Make Símores with Your Kids
    Even though I can't have them, they sure look good!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mock Orange Julius: orange juice, milk, vanilla, sweetener and ice cubes in the blender. Strawberry is good also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In the UK we have a dessert called 'eton mess' which is meringue, cream and berries all swirled together.
    I buy double cream, whip it myself, and crumble a massive meringue from whole foods into it (a big one lasts for a lot of portions), and sprinkle some berries on.
    AMAZING

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalalpaca View Post
    In the UK we have a dessert called 'eton mess' which is meringue, cream and berries all swirled together.
    I buy double cream, whip it myself, and crumble a massive meringue from whole foods into it (a big one lasts for a lot of portions), and sprinkle some berries on.
    AMAZING
    That sounds amazing!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just made these:

Weight Watchers Watermelon Pops (0 SP)

1⁄8 large fresh watermelon
    4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1 Tbsp sugar, or honey

Cut flesh from watermelon rind and remove seeds. Blend flesh until liquid (you should have approximately 4 cups of liquid). Stir in lemon juice and sugar.

Pour into 5 fluid ounce paper cups, leaving space at the top so they don't overflow. Stick a wooden popsicle stick into each cup. Freeze for several hours. To eat, just peel off paper cup.

I made a half batch, used lime juice instead of lemon juice, and made them in my trusty Tupperware pop molds. Half this recipe made 12. I think the T-ware molds are about 3 oz. The jury is still out since they're not frozen yet, but I think from tasting the mixture I won't put in the sugar next time. I like the lime but also want to try the lemon next time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This one sounds weird but I made it once last year and plan to make again when I get some zucchini. It is "zucchini sauce" (like applesauce.) Cook peeled zucchini & drain. Put in food processor with sugar and a bit of lemon juice. Maybe cinnamon? This was originally suggested as a recipe for pie filling. But I like it plain.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a little cuisinart ice cream maker that I keep in my freezer so I can make my own homemade ice cream at any time. Yummm!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree, home made ice cream is wonderful. Just plain vanilla is delicious!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like to make a plain custard in cups and have one for breakfast with fresh fruit.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never liked custard much as a kid but it seems more appealing now. Putting berries on it sounds good!

I make ice cream too. My recipe is simple, a 12 oz. can of fat free evaporated milk, 1/3 c. of Splenda OR sugar OR a combo of both, and a splash of vanilla. That will make about a pint in an ice cream freezer or ice cream ball. IMO the taste is similar to Dairy Queen soft serve. Sometimes I add some crushed or chopped candy bars like Snickers or Butterfinger right at the end to make Blizzards, or crushed Oreos or whatever sounds good. Be sure to add it right before stopping the freezer so the candy doesn't get broken up too much. It should just barely be distributed throughout the ice cream.

I've actually made the fruit pops shown in the OP, but the recipe I used called for coconut water. I can't say I was happy with them, because of the coconut water. It didn't taste good, what little flavor it had, and it was pretty expensive, like $2.80 for about 20 ounces or something. I forget the details but it definitely wasn't worth it to me. I ended up using up the leftover coconut water in Jell-O just to keep from pouring it down the drain, because no one wanted to drink it and there was no way to seal the can again. The frozen fruit idea was okay. I'll probably do fruit pops again but use either yogurt or fruit juice.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Coconut water is one of those things like cilantro, you either love it or hate it and it's probably genetic. I drink it after
    working out because it is the best natural source of electrolytes with no added sugar or chemicals.

Coconut milk makes great popsicles, OTOH. It comes in low fat too. I use it with matcha powder to make green tea popsicles during the summer. It would be good with fruit, too. Aldi has a coconut and pineapple popsicle that we like.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It wasn't completely undrinkable, but it just wasn't appealing at all. It kinda tasted like sweat. I did eat all the fruitsicles though. I think I objected more to the price than the taste. It just didn't have much flavor. I should try coconut milk. I think I have some in the fridge in a can. I've bought that several times but never actually used it, and that's why it's in the fridge, in hopes it'll keep longer.

We won't be able to buy anything frozen at Aldi because either store we'd go to is a two hour drive. I like making my own assorted 'sicles anyway.

I can't say I loved cilantro the first time I tried it, but I've learned to like it better over time.