Which grocery items do you buy in bulk?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Which grocery items do you buy in bulk?

Which grocery items do you buy in bulk?-bulk.jpg

"Groceries can become very expensive, especially if you have an entire family to feed. Rather than sacrificing the quality of your family’s diet for the sake of saving a few bucks, consider an alternative strategy – buying in bulk. As long as you have the storage space available and you shop smart, buying in bulk can save you a lot of money and it will leave you with a fully-stocked pantry." Buying in Bulk: Money-Saving Tips for Stocking Your Pantry
    Which grocery items do you buy in bulk?
    Follow Frugal Village on Facebook and Pinterest!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't have much opportunity to buy in bulk, but I recently went back to buying yeast in bulk. The savings are huge. I bought a 4 oz. jar of Red Star yeast locally when I ran out of bulk yeast a while back. The cost was nearly $8! By comparison, I bought 6 oz. at a food co-op fifty miles away last week for $1.80. We shop in that town for a variety of other things often enough it's workable to get yeast and some selected herbs, spices, and other items there, when we're going to that town anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are primarily "fresh" people - fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh chicken, fish and meat. Most of our food is not shelf stable.

I think the only things we get bulk of is rice and tuna packets. The tuna packets are a work lunch thing. At home we would just cook fresh fish. And I guess olives. We get big barrel of olives.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    We are primarily "fresh" people - fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh chicken, fish and meat. Most of our food is not shelf stable.

I think the only things we get bulk of is rice and tuna packets. The tuna packets are a work lunch thing. At home we would just cook fresh fish. And I guess olives. We get big barrel of olives.
    I live a KETO (low carb high fat) lifestyle so with the exception of tuna packets, there isn't a lot I can buy in bulk either.
    Follow Frugal Village on Facebook and Pinterest!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe I'm not defining 'bulk' correctly. Bulk to me means stuff that's available in bins and you package up what you want in the quantity you want, or it comes in large containers.

I do pick up food that's on close-outs, sometimes in larger quantities. I often buy ground turkey by the case (twelve chubs per case) because I make HM dog food about once a month. I recently found a great price on it and probably bought about eighty pounds. I also bought #10 cans (the gallon size) for .98 each and bought enough to last over a year, just for the dog food. If that's bulk food then we do that a lot.

We eat a lot of fresh stuff too, so of course that's harder to buy in quantity. But again, we often buy a lot of carrots because of the dogs, who like raw carrots as a snack.

I've been buying brown rice at WM when I get there lately, usually about 25 pounds in 5-pound bags. They don't sell it in larger bags. Again, dog food, but we eat a lot of it ourselves, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I share a flat with friends and we go to Costco to get things we use a lot of - like toilet paper and kitchen roll - so much cheaper!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live by myself so no buying in bulk - but I did pick up a 24-roll case of Scott TP, with 2 rolls missing, for less than $10 in the clearance aisle at WM.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I buy meat in large packages, then repack in one meal portions & vacuum seal for the freezer. I have cut my own chops from pork loin. I grow vegetables, or buy in season, can or freeze. Example, just bought 4 dozen ears of corn, blanched & cut off cob, froze 12 bags. I usually make 80 pints of salsa each summer from my garden produce. I buy yeast two pounds at a time. I buy extras of things when on sale, such as coffee or sugar. I don't eat a lot of canned goods, but buy by the case for food pantry when on sale & keep a few of each for myself. I like to have back up of most things I use regularly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

duplicate post
    Last edited by daylily; 07-28-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: dupllicate

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We buy most foods in bulk. We order from a food co-op every two months and go grocery shopping once a month. We grow most vegetables and several fruits. We also buy certain fruits in bulk to can, dry and freeze.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We buy as much as we can in bulk or when something is on sale we stock up. I can, dehydrate and freeze a lot of it. I also have the jar sealer for the food saver and store dry goods in jars. For example last week we bought 18# of sweet cherries - dehydrated some, canned hm bbq sauce and ate some fresh.
    2021 Goals:

January - Fruit Trees
    February - Insulate and moisture barrier in the crawl space and insulation in the attic
    March - Metal Roof installed and gutters
    Dig a pond - check into grant money
    New goat fencing - check into grant money

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only buy stuffed green olives from WM because I can get them in half gallon jars for about $8. Can't beat that deal anywhere else we can buy groceries. We go through about four jars a year. We don't live near a WM so I stock up on those and get four jars at a time. It's been working out great for years and years now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't seen olives in that large of a container. Our Sam's sells two quart jars wrapped together, so we get those. Sam's sells bread & butter pickles in the 1/2 gallon jar for under $4.00. I can't make them that cheap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WMs carry the olives in the aisle with their bulk foods, not with the smaller jars. I haven't seen the two quart jars bundled together. I'll have to look and compare prices. I transfer the half gallon of olives to a Tupperware pickle keeper as soon as I open it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's just hubby and I (plus I often feed my MIL) but we buy lots of things in bulk.

Ground beef - I got 40 pounds about two weeks ago. Broke it out into 10 pounds cooked and packed in one pound containers in freezer; 5 pounds cooked into lasagna mix; 15 pounds made into various size meatloaves (individual and family size); and then 10 pounds packed raw into one pound containers. Normally I make beef and bean burritos with 5 pounds of it, but didn't need them this time.

Chicken breasts - I will buy 20-40 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts on a good sale, then make multiple chicken entrees for the freezer

Beans - I buy dry beans and can them for pantry ready home-canned beans for far cheaper than buying canned beans.

I also make things in bulk - spices, stock, beverage mixes, etc.

I also buy things in bulk like foil pans (mini meatloaf/quick bread pans are 3/$1.50 at grocery store; $0.06 each if I buy them from the restaurant supply store by the case. Half size pans are about $1.50 each at grocery store; $0.27 ea if I buy by the case. It's not like they go bad and we use them often in our smoker and for other things.

Why not? Saves lots of money if done well.

I don't buy bulk on things like fresh veggies or fruit (unless I plan to freeze or can them), as I won't eat them fresh before they go bad. Brown sugar is another one I no longer by in bulk - it gets hard (even with all the "tricks") before I can finish it and it's a pain to work with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast