What simple ways do you save money every day?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What simple ways do you save money every day?

What simple ways do you save money every day?-frugal-coffee.jpg

A cup of coffee at your local coffee shop probably costs you somewhere between $2 and $5. If you buy it every day, that’s $14 to $35 a week. If you switch to making your own coffee at home, even just a few days a week, you can put that money into savings instead. 10 Simple Ways to Save Money Every Day
    It took me far too long to realize how much money I was spending on coffee. Now, I am enjoying trying new recipes for making my own special blends of coffee at home.

What simple ways do you save money every day?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with "Pay with cash" and might I add ask for a discount since you are paying with cash.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Warren Buffet stops at an Omaha McD each morning and spends about $3 on a sausage/egg/biscuit. And he is one of the wealthiest billionaires in the world!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Eat breakfast at home. A sausage biscuit made at home cost less than $3 and keeps you away from expensive vending machine snacks.

Prepackage your own snacks. A store bought "protein and energy" trail mix pack costs about $1.50. ($7.50 a week) For about $5 I got a pound of bulk nuts, chocolate pieces and dried fruit and can make at least 2 weeks worth of snacks.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've learned life skills to DIY as much as I can, and I never stop learning. Although as I get older, I'm less inclined to do some of the things I used to do. I actually paid someone to install a new water heater a couple years ago. I still can't believe I paid someone to do such a simple job.

Not every day, but I'm developing a collection of recipes for assorted types of breads. My most recent find is a good ciabatta recipe, which works out to less than .45 per twelve Italian rolls compared with the $3 per six rolls we used to pay for day old ciabatta rolls. Taking the time to do the trial and error and find the right recipe will pay dividends forever for me now. I'm still working on perfecting hot dog buns and getting pretty close. My only problem now is figuring out the correct size and shape and method to get those two things right.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Drink coffee at home in the mornings and drink the free bottles of water at work.

I at my new job we can't eat at our desks and there is no cafeteria. Instead of eating out I'm packing my lunch and I'm eating in my car. I need to find a park. Not sure of the solution when it gets cold. Someone mentioned to me a heater thing for the car that costs $40 and the plugin converter is another $17. It will pay for itself in no time but I still have to figure out the winter thing.

I bundle trips as the town I work and shop in is 10 miles away.

I work as a contractor so housing is a big one for me. Instead of bringing the camper 1,400 miles or renting an apartment ($650/mo) with a lease and utilities I found a place to stay using Airbnb. Its costing just over $10/night ($425 for 36 days) plus I have internet and share the kitchen, bathroom, washer and dryer with 2 other people. It's not the nicest (or the worst) place I've ever stayed but it will work for now.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - $621.02/$3,330.56
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $3,172.43/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$1,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is what I do routinely.

I wash clothes in cold water.
    Make my own laundry and fabric soften.
    Line dry clothes all spring, summer and fall.
    I turn all lights off when not in use.
    Make my own copycat Dawn dishfoam.
    Buy in bulk.
    Grow elderberries to make a tincture my cold and flu medicine.
    Grow a garden, fruit, berries, grapes, herbs, mints, rhubarb, forage.
    Make my own jams no buying any from the store.
    Pressure can.
    Water bath can.
    Dehydrate.
    Make many foods from scratch including seasoning.
    Make homemade vanilla extract, kahlua, copycat baileys Irish cream.(Haven't bought any of these in 10-plus years)
    Pick dandelions growing on my lawn to make dandelion wine.
    Make my own salves.
    Buy most things on sale.
    Grow most of my own vegetables and flowers from seed and saving seeds.
    Pay bills on time so no late fee.
    Do online banking to pay bills and eMobile deposit no wasting gas to make a deposit at the bank.
    Always make a list of what I need..I never go into a store without a list.
    Don't buy clothes monthly, I buy a few things a year that are needs.
    Don't go to the hairdresser.
    Don't go to get manicures or pedicures.
    No buying jewelry.
    Clean my own house.
    Mow our own lawn.
    Do all of our own maintenance on cars except for things alignment's or under warranty.
    Rake and clean up all the leaves ourselves and we have a 2-acre lawn.
    Have only a few chickens now after loosing my babies to a Fox) for eggs.
    Tap our maple trees to make our own syrup.
    Forage wild apples that I use to can to make our apple pie filling, applesauce, apple butter, use my steam juicer to make/can apple juice..the cores and peels are used to make apple cider vinegar.
    Have cut our own fire wood a few years ago for our wood stove but, lets just say I have a husband that doesn't really care to help us save money in this area.
    I buy 2-liters of my favorite diet soda and refill a 20oz container that I use constantly.
    I ALWAYS bring a drink with me when traveling so not to spend money.
    Bought a Berkey water filtration so no buying bottled water.
    Bought a SodaStream for my brother, sons and dh to make their own copycat Red Bull since they were spending so much money on those very expensive little containers..I bought many other flavors for them also..definitely cheaper over time.
    Make my own rice packs that I use daily in the winter time saves us from turning up the heat.
    I strictly buy my slippers from LLbean because for one I love them but also because they back their product.
    Both my boys pay rent and for their part of the cell bill..(we have the family plan)
    My youngest pays for his part of the car insurance.
    Crochet my own dishcloths..I do not buy them anymore.
    No car payments.
    Credit card debt is all interest free.
    I buy Yankee Candles only when they are buy 1 get 1 free..these are a huge downfall for me..I need them for my mental state year round.
    We don't take vacations..we do stay at home vacations,we have entertainment on our property like the 4-wheeler and go cart we take for rides up behind our house or my families property up the road, we also have a fire pit, or we go fishing in my family's man made ponds with their canoe.

I'm sure there is more that I forgot.

I would make my own cleaners but still have several left that I got for free or paid .25 for over 13yrs ago.

I want to learn to make my own candles, chap stick/lip balm,toothpaste, body wash, soap, cold cream, shampoo, conditioner, sew clothes, feminine pads, non paper towels, pot holders.

By doing these things we are able to have other luxuries that mean something to us...like full cable, DSL connection and cell phones.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I take lunch to work everyday. It makes a big difference.

I am tea person. I bring loose leaf tea from home and heat water in the microwave at work.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry..I didn't realize it was daily saving by the time I saw the complete question I couldn't delete my post.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by brenda67 View Post
    This is what I do routinely.

I wash clothes in cold water.
    Make my own laundry and fabric soften.
    Line dry clothes all spring, summer and fall.
    I turn all lights off when not in use.
    Make my own copycat Dawn dishfoam.
    Buy in bulk.
    Grow elderberries to make a tincture my cold and flu medicine.
    Grow a garden, fruit, berries, grapes, herbs, mints, rhubarb, forage.
    Make my own jams no buying any from the store.
    Pressure can.
    Water bath can.
    Dehydrate.
    Make many foods from scratch including seasoning.
    Make homemade vanilla extract, kahlua, copycat baileys Irish cream.(Haven't bought any of these in 10-plus years)
    Pick dandelions growing on my lawn to make dandelion wine.
    Make my own salves.
    Buy most things on sale.
    Grow most of my own vegetables and flowers from seed and saving seeds.
    Pay bills on time so no late fee.
    Do online banking to pay bills and eMobile deposit no wasting gas to make a deposit at the bank.
    Always make a list of what I need..I never go into a store without a list.
    Don't buy clothes monthly, I buy a few things a year that are needs.
    Don't go to the hairdresser.
    Don't go to get manicures or pedicures.
    No buying jewelry.
    Clean my own house.
    Mow our own lawn.
    Do all of our own maintenance on cars except for things alignment's or under warranty.
    Rake and clean up all the leaves ourselves and we have a 2-acre lawn.
    Have only a few chickens now after loosing my babies to a Fox) for eggs.
    Tap our maple trees to make our own syrup.
    Forage wild apples that I use to can to make our apple pie filling, applesauce, apple butter, use my steam juicer to make/can apple juice..the cores and peels are used to make apple cider vinegar.
    Have cut our own fire wood a few years ago for our wood stove but, lets just say I have a husband that doesn't really care to help us save money in this area.
    I buy 2-liters of my favorite diet soda and refill a 20oz container that I use constantly.
    I ALWAYS bring a drink with me when traveling so not to spend money.
    Bought a Berkey water filtration so no buying bottled water.
    Bought a SodaStream for my brother, sons and dh to make their own copycat Red Bull since they were spending so much money on those very expensive little containers..I bought many other flavors for them also..definitely cheaper over time.
    Make my own rice packs that I use daily in the winter time saves us from turning up the heat.
    I strictly buy my slippers from LLbean because for one I love them but also because they back their product.
    Both my boys pay rent and for their part of the cell bill..(we have the family plan)
    My youngest pays for his part of the car insurance.
    Crochet my own dishcloths..I do not buy them anymore.
    No car payments.
    Credit card debt is all interest free.
    I buy Yankee Candles only when they are buy 1 get 1 free..these are a huge downfall for me..I need them for my mental state year round.
    We don't take vacations..we do stay at home vacations,we have entertainment on our property like the 4-wheeler and go cart we take for rides up behind our house or my families property up the road, we also have a fire pit, or we go fishing in my family's man made ponds with their canoe.

I'm sure there is more that I forgot.

I would make my own cleaners but still have several left that I got for free or paid .25 for over 13yrs ago.

I want to learn to make my own candles, chap stick/lip balm,toothpaste, body wash, soap, cold cream, shampoo, conditioner, sew clothes, feminine pads, non paper towels, pot holders.

By doing these things we are able to have other luxuries that mean something to us...like full cable, DSL connection and cell phones.
    I know this is for Greebo but it fits you!

2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - $621.02/$3,330.56
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $3,172.43/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$1,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda, you did describe what you do daily. It's all part of your frugal lifestyle.

I'm making ciabatta again. Husby got into it. LOL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There, I just saved myself some money. I looked up recipes for "everything bagel topping" since it's so expensive to buy it already mixed. Here's the exotic, expensive, hard to find ingredients contained in all of the recipes I found.

Everything Bread and Bagel Topping Mix
    4 t. sesame seeds, toasted or not
    4 t. poppy seeds
    4 t. garlic flakes or granulated garlic
    4 t. onion flakes or granulated onion
    2 t. kosher or coarse sea salt, or to taste
    Mix in a shaker jar and shake before each use. To use, lightly brush top of bread with beaten egg white or egg wash, sprinkle with Everything Mix, and bake.

I looked up six or eight different recipes and every one of them had the same ingredients, just slightly different amounts, so I combined them. How difficult, complicated, and time consuming is it going to be to measure five ingredients into a jar and shake it? I will be well paid for my time! And it's all stuff I always have on hand. It's not going to cost me anywhere near the $1.33 per ounce and higher price tag I saw on the mixes I found online for sale.

I know we'll like this one because we buy French bread for fifty cents a loaf or bagels cheap at WM sometimes when we happen to be there, that have the same topping. I love making my own herb mixes because they're always outrageously expensive to buy, so cheap to make at home, there are loads of recipes online to clone almost anything, and I can control the salt in them.

This will be super simple to make a bigger batch, just equal amounts for everything but the salt, which is half the amount of the other ingredients.

One recipe suggested this mix is also good on popcorn, salads, etc, so that's an idea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question

I complete shut down computer,tv AND microwave when not in use and at night i unplug my recliner.Stop using dryer and diswasher in peak and try not use oven in peak time sometime i have to use oven awhile i can tell different in electric bill since starting doing these things.

More then one thing but all connected to saving on electric
    Last edited by ermadunk; 09-04-2017 at 02:34 PM. Reason: because i posted more then one thing on saving each day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I know my vehicle gets better mileage at 55-57 so try to keep it there. Not a fan of cruise. Long story. If nothing behind me I let off gas and coast to stops, lights etc. No hard gas pedal coming off the line.

Try to keep unused lights off.

I keep saying "try" ... cause sometimes it just plain isn't happening. Sigh.

Try to keep oven off but like today have a meatloaf and scalloped potatoes in. Been a long time though. Same with burners for long periods but that's only possible a few times a week. When the burners are on it heats the house/trailer up something terrible. Nice in winter... sucks in summer.

Use microwave or toaster oven as much as possible.

Fill up with gas when I see it looks like it's lowered as far as it will go.

Pantry/fridge/freezer shop at home not for all but a big part of.

Cancelled satellite last month and did a buy out of contract but it was set to go to $135 a month but all the garbage taxes, fees and surcharges plus they had already raised it a couple times on their end even with their " no raise for a year" in the contract. Now using Netflix, Sling and Hulu. Hulu not so much. I might cancel it too.

Take coffee from home with me to work in the morning and drink coffee made at business. Once in a great while I'll do Dunkin' but not very often.

Go over sale ads before I go grocery shopping. Doing a lot of $General 5 off 25 on Saturdays.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

First of all, I just want to say- I want to live with Brenda- she is my hero- I wish I could do all the things she does. I just got started too late & will not live long enough to get where she is, but I still try...

My coffee costs less than 4 cents a cup. I only drink it for warmth & caffeine, so I am fine with instant, just black.
    Don't use paper towels
    Have a garden
    Preserve some of my own food
    Buy all food on sale/manager specials/Aldi's
    Cook at home
    Pack lunches, snacks, beverages
    Take advantage of free activities
    Eat economical food- not many fancy dishes going on here
    Buying second hand when I can
    Probably the biggest is not wasting food or resources.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast