What tips would you offer to someone planning a frugal wedding?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What tips would you offer to someone planning a frugal wedding?

What tips would you offer to someone planning a frugal wedding?-frugal-wedding.jpg

Weddings are expensive, there is no escaping it. If you are of the mind that there is no sense in spending a small fortune on a single day, you’ll be glad to know that there are plenty of simple things you can do to plan a frugal wedding without making it cheap. Frugal Tips for Planning a Wedding
    Not only can making your own wedding favors save you a lot of money, but it also puts a personal touch on things that your guests will love. Creative Homemade Favors for an Outdoor Wedding
    What tips would you offer to someone planning a frugal wedding?
    Follow Frugal Village on Facebook and Pinterest!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are tons of ways to reduce costs...

Do a morning wedding/afternoon reception instead of afternoon/evening.

Choose a less popular day.

Reduce the size of your guest list. Consider having an alternate less expensive reception for acquaintances.

Choose less expensive food.

Order off the lunch menu, rather than the dinner menu.

Go with chef's choice - you can match the menu of a neighboring event to save money.

Cut the alcohol. Just have wine at the tables and a champagne toast.

Cut areas that don't add true value (i.e. reduce the decor or look for less expensive decor you can do yourself). But don't skimp on the areas that are important (for me, that was the rings and the photographer - I was going to have the rings and photos forever). I was much more willing to reduce things that were going to be used up on the day and then gone the next day.

Hire a harp player instead of a band or just have a friend do CDs/playlist.

Choose less expensive invitations.

Check multiple bakeries for less expensive wedding cakes (though I have to admit - my cake was from an awesome bakery, but it only cost $75 27 years ago - it was cheap even then but delicious).

There's tons more ways to save. Be creative, plan ahead, and don't get your heart set on things!

If I were doing it all over again, I might have rented my dress instead of buying it. That was one of most expensive parts of the day (though still cheaper than many at the time).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

First, sit down with your soon-to-be spouse. Weddings are special days and the way you set the tone for your wedding can be the way that your married life will go. Make a list of what each of you really wants. A new dress? A catered reception? A romantic lakeside area? What are you comfortable compromising on, what to you really want?
    There are times to be frugal, and other times where the two of you might decide to save a few more months if there is something special you really want. Sometimes the saving and looking around can reap benefits- if the bride sees a particular dress but it is expensive, a few months later it might be on sale or a very similar one available for less.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Two of my coworkers have gotten married in the pastor's study with only a couple family members present and then had small receptions. One reception was at the couple's home and the other in the basement of the church.
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don'r forget a Justice of the Peace can perform marriages, usually the fee is small. I spent more $ divorcing my second ex than marrying him

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought a brand new sample dress for $175.
    I used the VFW Hall for my Reception. Ours had cheap homestyle food that was delicious
    I made my own veil
    I got sandals I could wear after instead of "wedding" shoes
    I used a discount florist. We had the flowers sent to the church and moved them to the hall ourselves
    Print your own invitations.
    Pay for a professional photographer but buy the proofs and have them developed yourself

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille44 View Post
    Don'r forget a Justice of the Peace can perform marriages, usually the fee is small. I spent more $ divorcing my second ex than marrying him
    A relative got married in a state where a Notary Public can perform weddings, and they were married by one.

I would say, in general, don't compare your wedding to others you have been to or heard about. And don't worry about impressing people. The people who REALLY love you won't care if you get married on the beach in flip-flops and have a weeny roast afterwards.

And spend at least as much time and thought preparing for the marriage as you do for the wedding.

PS -to Lucille - you know why divorces are so expensive, don't you? They're WORTH IT!!!!
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by josantoro View Post

PS -to Lucille - you know why divorces are so expensive, don't you? They're WORTH IT!!!!
    Absolutely. Wish they gave volume discounts, lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by josantoro View Post

And spend at least as much time and thought preparing for the marriage as you do for the wedding.

AMEN AND AMEN to both!!!
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I officiated a wedding for friends...at their request of course. And for free. I got ordained online and did the wedding in Washington State. The online church had wedding packets with suggested service guides and beautiful certificates for signatures. The county supplied the basics with the application for wedding license. It was lovely (and they are still married...). The ceremony and celebration was at their home and dinner was potluck with a gingerbread-couple as the wedding cake. I think they were out of pocket a couple of hundred dollars (no dress...wore what she had), and I was out about 30$. The guests pitched in with decorating and tidying up.