Saving Money on Professional Work Clothes?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Saving Money on Professional Work Clothes?

Saving Money on Professional Work Clothes?-business-woman.jpg

If you work in a professional environment, you need to look the part. Unfortunately, nice clothes are expensive, and it simply might not be in your budget to purchase an entirely new wardrobe. If you want to look nice without breaking the bank, keep reading to learn some helpful tips for building a professional wardrobe on a budget. How to Build a Professional Wardrobe on a Budget
    How do you save money on professional work clothes?
    Follow Frugal Village on Facebook and Pinterest!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Get basic pieces that match at least 6 other things
    buy off season
    and sometimes if you get lucky nice things at Resale.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I was working... buy classic pieces in styles and colors that stand the test of time, NOT this season's fashions. Buy the best quality you can afford. Shop clearance racks at high end stores. Have clothes properly cleaned and repaired when necessary. Use padded hangars to prevent creases and wrinkles. Change out of work clothes when you get home.

I still have tops and sweaters from 20-30 years ago that are in great shape and look good, because I chose quality and the right colors.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    When I was working... buy classic pieces in styles and colors that stand the test of time, NOT this season's fashions. Buy the best quality you can afford. Shop clearance racks at high end stores. Have clothes properly cleaned and repaired when necessary. Use padded hangars to prevent creases and wrinkles. Change out of work clothes when you get home.

I still have tops and sweaters from 20-30 years ago that are in great shape and look good, because I chose quality and the right colors.
    All of this. Thank goodness I don't have to do that anymore however I still have some of those hanging. I cleaned and covered them with a huge bag over the hangers. I've looked a few times and thought, "You should just donate those" but yet I've kept them. NOT something I would want to replace should I ever go back to "getting a real job".
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Living in north Idaho, business "formal" is a button down shirt and clean jeans. Business casual is anything clean...well, it is for me since I work partly outdoors in natural resource type tasks.
    So, today for example is a field day and I'm wearing carhartt double front work pants from thrift, hiking boots from thrift, a long sleeve t-shirt found onsale in a plain color, and a wool pendleton plaid overshirt that a friend gave me when she "out grew" it in middle age. For a work coat I'm wearing a really sturdy letterman's jacket I got at thrift.
    I can almost always wear thrift clothes for fieldwork. I keep a better outfit (new clean jeans or black pants, dark colored shell top, and a button down shirt in a solid color, clean and polished boots or shoes) in the office in case of emergency meetings with city councils or in case I fall in the mud or in the lake.

I get most of those pieces at thrift as well. I keep a running list of what work pieces I need and when I'm near a good thrift store or discount store, I stop in.

I plan the wardrobe so that all the heavy items (jeans, overshirts, sweatshirts) are dark and can be washed in one load, and the lighter items (t-shirts, undies, socks) in another load. that's because I have to go to the laundromat and it costs too much to sort into more loads.

I do have a single formal suit for fund raising events. It hasn't been out of storage in 3 years but it's there. I have 3 or 4 fabulous scarves to go with it so no one seems to have noticed it's the same charcoal suit and black ankle boots.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mix and Match wardrobe!!

Easy Work Outfits You Can Mix and Match

I have a friend that only wears black, grey, white, gold and occasionally red. Everything she buys is basically in that color scheme and can be mixed and matched.

I plan to pick up a few suits this year. I looked at my wardrobe and realized that literally all of my suits are a good 15-20 years old. While they have stood the test of time, they are starting to show wear. My plan is to buy on sale, choose a few good quality suits and as mentioned above, go for classic (NOT trendy!) looks. I have to admit, I've been disappointed lately. It's getting harder and harder to find suits, since so few offices require them anymore.

I can wear jeans 95% of the time with working from home, but since that other 5% (and could be higher) is professional speaking engagements, I need some higher quality clothing to look the part. I also want to pick up a few outfits (at least two) that will be good for traveling (loose, comfortable, layers, etc.).