Do you have an herb container garden?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Do you have an herb container garden?

Attachment 47475

There’s no better way to take a dish from bland to delicious than fresh-grown herbs. Growing herbs is incredibly easy and the summer is the perfect time to do it. Unfortunately, not everyone has a great deal of outdoor space to devote to growing herbs – that’s where a container garden comes in. Keep reading to learn about the best herbs for container gardens. The Best Herbs to Grow in Your Container Garden
    This is something I would absolutely LOVE to do if I could figure out how tokeep my cats out of the pots.

Do you have an herb container garden?
    Follow Frugal Village on Facebook and Pinterest!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you're talking about keeping cats from using a large container as a litter box, you can fence it with some of that wire fencing you just poke into the ground, covered with bird or deer netting. A tomato cage with netting over it would probably work, too. Lots of things would support netting which is very lightweight.

If you're talking about just keeping them from nibbling on your herbs, you could just share, after checking to see what herbs are safe for pets. We've had 5 cats and never had them get into herb gardens in the house very much at all. They ignore catnip until it's dried. They bothered the lettuce most. I put that garden on a high cabinet they can't get on. We grow that in an AeroGarden which has its own light. I grow cat grass for them, which helps. Very easy and cheap.

The biggest problem I've had was keeping our last husky from eating the tomatoes we grew in the house. He picked them right off the vines. That boy loved food in all its forms.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everything I try to grow, they have an overwhelming need to lay on the plant. I never thought of trying a wire cage around stuff though.
    Follow Frugal Village on Facebook and Pinterest!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stick a few chopsticks or other similar items into the dirt, enough so there's not enough room for them to lay among the sticks. Those bamboo stakes are fairly cheap, I think. The sticks don't have to be very long, just have to stick above the dirt far enough the kitties can't lay down.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some cats just like the smell of dirt and green things. What they don't like is oranges. You can get essential oils in lemon, orange or eucalyptus and make a spray and just spritz the pots or the soil. We used an orange spray to stop ours from scratching at doors, and it was good for the woodwork too.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't. I get mine from a jar. I tried one year. They died. Forgot to water them. Just wasn't interested enough at the time I guess. I'd rather just catch them on sale and/or coupon.
    Then again I don't enjoy cooking so there's that.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried last year, ended up in New York to work and hubby didn't take care of them. We are getting ready to move and an herb garden is on the list of things I want.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some herbs do much better in the ground than in pots. They can develop large, deep root systems and be more self sufficient. I have sage, oregano and chives that I planted 10+ years ago and they come back every spring and need no attention from me. Mint is another very hardy plant, mine is in a large pot and comes back every year. In my climate rosemary and basil are not winter hardy, so I have to buy/plant new ones every year and baby them. I cannot seem to get parsley, cilantro or dill to grow, but I know people in other states do very well with those. You just have to keep trying to find what works for you.

Herbs in tiny pots are cute, but they dry up so fast it's not feasible to keep them that way for long. They need BIG pots, especially if you want them big enough to cut from regularly.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH