What hobbies do you have that aren't too expensive?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What hobbies do you have that aren't too expensive?

What hobbies do you have that aren't too expensive?-7hobbies.jpg

Having a hobby or two that you love can be a healthy way to spend your time — but many hobbies can be extremely expensive. If you’re looking for a new hobby but don’t have a lot of extra money to spend on a ton of extra stuff, here are a few hobbies you can get started on without breaking the bank. 7 Fun Hobbies That Won’t Break the Bank
    What hobbies do you have that aren't too expensive?
    Follow Frugal Village on Facebook and Pinterest!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to figure out podcasts.

We use our library a lot, for both traditional books and e books. The convevience of e books can't be beat.

We do counted cross stitch here as a cheap hobby. Over time we've picked up supplies at thrifts, garage sales, retail sales, and eBay so we rarely have to buy anything to do a project.

I also knit, crochet, and tat and have frugally built up my supply stash over time for that, too.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you're looking for something that doesn't cost much from the start I agree that cross stitch and embroidery are a good choice. Floss and needles are very cheap, you can get free instruction and patterns online, and you can decorate towels, bedding and clothing you already own.

Creative clothing alterations is another very low cost starter. Use clothes you have or can get from yard sales or thrift sores and redesign them into your own fashions. Altered, embellished or upcycled clothing has been a trend for a while now. There are magazines and websites devoted to it.

I think paper crafts are cheap. Pretty scrapbook paper costs about .50 a sheet and you can do so much with just scissors and a pen. Make greeting cards, gift tags, holiday decorations, party favors, and home decor. And of course the old favorite: scrapbooking (or journaling, or smash booking as it's called today). You can add to the hobby a few dollars at a time, with stamps, colored pens, washi tape, etc instead of having to spend $30 or $50+ to start.

Most hobbies, even the high priced ones can be done cheaper just by following some common sense tips. If you like to travel know when the off season is, subscribe to newsletters that offer deals, comparison shop hotels, etc. If you are into sports, exercise, or camping you can pick up 2nd hand equipment , sometimes like new, from various online sales and neighborhood trading sites.

Like most things, if you are not spending money you need to put in time and effort in exchange. Time looking for deals and scouting best prices, effort in tracking down what you need and maybe doing some repair or clean up of used items. And certainly a good deal of self control to not go "ooh shiny!" and blow a lot of money when something catches your eye.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So we should not have bought that shiny new Aliner then? ROTFL!

Just kidding. But you do make a good point.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One hobby I have that is not very expensive is knitting. I love to knit things that we use on a regular basis. Mittens, hats, socks, gloves and the occassional sweater. Living in New Hampshire those warm knits are important during the long winter months.

I usually get my yarn second hand. Often times there is enough for an entire sweather donated and I am able to get high quality yarns for a fraction of the cost at a local yarn shop. I also am able to get the size needles I need second hand or I borrow from others.

The other low cost hobby I have is urban sketching. I am a landscape artist (forest, mountains etc..)and focus on natural and farmland settings (old barns etc..) But for fun I do quick sketches of city scapes and small towns. The cost is a pencil or charcoal and an inexpensive (less than $10) sketch book.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

knit and crochet with yarns purchased at yard sales, or deep discounts at stores. . . sewing with recycled materials mostly obtained for free because an item had a stain, rip, etc. . . I just cut out the good pieces, strip off any buttons, zippers or lace, etc. I read lots of free books from Amazon with the free kindle app for my phone. . . I garden and get to harvest the produce. I also take lots of pictures with my phone camera or the inexpensive digital camera -- I have even sold some to online stock photo places.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't forget cooking. You have to eat anyway, so why not learn some skills, and master new recipes. So much free online, recipes and youtube tutorials. Look around for low cost and free community education classes, university extension gardening and canning classes, garden center and store demos, wine tastings, etc. Save additional money by making great food at home and not going to restaurants.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used to do simple stitch knitting and crocheting. It's been years but I've thought about starting again but new materials is definitely not cheap. Yarn has tripled since last time I bought. Not many thrift stores around here and if I have to travel miles and miles to HOPE to find thrift to tear apart then it's no cheaper. How does Jo Anns and Michaels pricing work out with their coupons and % off? Anyone know?
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's possible to pick up yarn in the form of commercially knitted clothing, too. You can tell by the edges on the side seams inside the garments if the item was made by continuous knitting or if the pieces were cut out like fabric. The ones that are cut out don't work well. The others can often be frogged fairly easily. If I want to buy yarn, I first check out pullover sweaters at thrift stores and look for half price tags. I've gotten some really nice yarn that way, cheap, including stuff like cashmere.

Sewing went way beyond a hobby for me decades ago and I have thousands invested in it, but it's an activity that can not only be a hobby and be started relatively inexpensively, it can actually save money. A decent beginner sewing machine can be had at WM for around $100, and will pay for itself if it's used to do simple alterations and mending to make clothing and other items last longer. There are lots of simple gifts that can be sewed to save money, too, to offset the cost of a machine. The less fussy a person is about colors and prints, the easier it is to find materials to work worth cheap. There are lots of tricks to making sewing an activity that can be done frugally.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Niko, JA is online as you probably know, so you can get some idea about prices there. I like their coupons because they frequently have coupons for 40% off or more, sometimes only for one item but sometimes for your entire purchase. Those might only be for 20% off. Our nearest JA is 70 miles so I'm not there very often. Anyway, they change coupons often enough that if you're patient you may be able to get the right deal. At least that's been my experience on the sewing side. You might have a different experience on the craft side. I hope you can find something.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

JA puts out an ad every 2-3 weeks or so. They typically have a 40% off one item that is good for the run of the ad, ~10-15 days. Usually there is a 50% off coupon good for a few days to a week. Rarely they have a special coupon for 60-75% off a specific item or class of items, like two weeks ago they had one for 70% off strung beads. They also frequently have coupons for notions, fabric only, % off entire purchase, $ off certain amount, and quilting notions. JA accepts Michael's coupons.

If you are patient and use the coupons you almost never pay full price for anything there. The one drawback is the fine print. Coupons cannot be used on anything already on sale or clearance, most cutting machines, sewing machines, machine accessories, irons, patterns, magazines, and certain brand name and licensed merchandise.

Michael's is very similar, but they only put out a 40% coupon. Once in a while I see a 50% off. They will accept JA coupons up to 50% off.

Both stores print 40% off loyalty coupons with register receipts from time to time.

As long as the coupons have different codes on them you can use one of each per day. So you could use one 40% coupon you got in the mail, one Michael's 40% coupon, and one 40% coupon printed from their web site. So it is worth getting on the mailing list, email list, and phone app to have as many coupons available as possible.

If you really wanted to you could make multiple purchases. The fine print says once per day, but no one has ever stopped me from coming back into the store with a second copy of the coupon and buying more stuff.

40-50% is the typical discount from both stores, using a coupon. I don't really watch the yarn sales, but the store sale prices in general range from 30-50% off. Once in a rare while they go to 60-75% off.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There used to be a Jo Anns in Avon Park... about 45 minutes away. I think it closed down. To far to drive away for small purchases BUT.. theres a Michaels here in town.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The Lion and Caron one-pound skeins at Michaels and JA are regularly about $10. W/ 50% coupon then it's $5. That's a good amount of knitting, for example a baby blanket or lapghan. I have made myself a vest from 1 skein. JoAnn.com will have free shipping occasionally, especially around holidays. There was free shipping for 2 days around 4th of July. I have 3 1 lb skeins in storage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe not the absolute most "hobbyish" things, but I love spending time on Pinterest. There are sooooo many cool things you can find there. I also like playing free games online, reading (you can find free kindle books), and watching Netflix and Hulu. And I admit- I love taking naps with my dog and my sister's dog.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    The Lion and Caron one-pound skeins at Michaels and JA are regularly about $10. W/ 50% coupon then it's $5. That's a good amount of knitting, for example a baby blanket or lapghan. I have made myself a vest from 1 skein. JoAnn.com will have free shipping occasionally, especially around holidays. There was free shipping for 2 days around 4th of July. I have 3 1 lb skeins in storage.
    Joann's used to send me coupons but since the closest one is 30 miles away and I rarely ever get there, they quit sending them but sure could use one today. I've got plans of buying plastic canvas enough to last through the winter and also possibly a new skein of yarn [though I need that like I need a hole in the head! ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast