How do you find ways to reduce medical expenses?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How do you find ways to reduce medical expenses?

How do you find ways to reduce medical expenses?-medicalbills.jpg

Health insurance exists to limit your out-of-pocket spending on medical services and prescription medications. Unfortunately, many health insurance plans come with high premiums and deductibles, sometimes so high that it doesn’t feel like you’re saving any money at all. If you’re looking for ways to reduce your medical expenses, you have some options. Frugal Tips for Reducing Medical Expenses
    How do you find ways to reduce medical expenses?
    Follow Frugal Village on Facebook and Pinterest!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Prevention is the best way -- stay healthy. . . meanwhile, you can try to negotiate your fees if you are uninsured or very low income. . . ask the why's for any tests the MD orders and ask if there is a cheaper alternative (ie CT scan is usually less expensive than an MRI and many times may be all that is required). . .my health insurance lets me get 90 supply of any prescriptions ordered. . . I pay for 2 months copay and the 3rd month is free - so I always request any maintenance meds be ordered in 90 supplies. . . make sure you stay in the network of your insurance for any tests, MD visits, hospital stays, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The number one way I have decreased my medical expenses is by focusing on living a healthier lifestyle.
    Follow Frugal Village on Facebook and Pinterest!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you have a prescription but no insurance you can order meds from Canada. Just use a licensed, certified CIPA pharmacy.

If you are taking tablets that can be cut in half ask your doctor for a larger dosage. Your out of pocket costs will often be the same. You end up with twice the medication at the same price and won't have to refill as often.

See if there is an over the counter version of your medication available. Most vitamins and supplements are cheaper off the shelf than the prescription version.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm trying to get healthier in hopes of avoiding illness, too. That means eating better, losing weight, avoiding more salt and sugar, and getting more exercise. I'm doing all this for lots of reasons, but avoiding a $100,000 heart attack is a great incentive to help me along. Not to mention avoiding the pain, suffering, fear, and aftermath of such an event.

One of the tips I learned from the state of MN years ago is to only do business with online pharmacies that have brick and mortar stores as well as an online outlet. We bought meds for our dog (human drugs) from Global Drugs Direct for six years and recommend them. The store we used was in BC, and usually our meds came from there, but somtimes from other countries. Their CS was excellent and they had a toll free # for use in the US. The only issue was we would usually get a call from our CC because it got charged in Lithuania or somewhere, which apparently made our CC company nervous. But all we had to do when they called was tell their automated system we actually did make that charge, so I can't say it was even a problem, and we were happy our CC was looking out for fraud.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are few ways of doing it. First, and most obvious one is to get healthy and just stick to a healthy lifestyle. You will save tons of money on treatments and lots of thing cannot be treated completely, so you investing in your future with that. Other things are not that general, you might try switching from one health insurance like insure plus to another, maybe it will be better. But first of all, your lifestyle is a key to solve that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I concur with everyone's comments here... For me, I do a lot more things as I've had autoimmune diseases since I was a child. And my meds have not gone down in price. Also, my docs want to see me 4x/year for bloodwork and with the co-pays/co-insurance/deductible, it costs me a lot of money!!

Here's what I do, so this may not work for you but it's my way of decreasing my costs.

I look into generic drugs and have finally found one for $25 vs $300. It's taken 20+ years for companies to realize that people who can't afford their meds will take less of it and in the end, it will cost insurance companies more to cover their hospital visits. Plus, I can buy it without a prescription (another cost avoidance of co-pays!!)

I do buy from ebay. Once a patent is done, other companies will copy that item and sell for way less. Hence, I pounced on it when I realized this and ebay costs way cheaper than what I can buy using my insurance for a brand name. Again, this is over the counter item. One of my docs also made the suggestion.

I go to the gym 5x/week. I do not see this as optional. It's a necessity. I also have a exercise bike and do videos at home.

I use walk-in labs for blood work. I pay out of pocket and order them online. I monitor my own progress. I calculated the cost of a doctor co-pay and bloodwork and it's cheaper than using my insurance by doing the labs myself.

I do try holistic/natural items to see if it can replace a prescription. I'm certainly open to the idea and again, I do check my labs to see how I'm doing with it. I had a holistic person who was on the money with many things. She left the practice and I'm sad. But I do remember what she told me and am willing to try the advice!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do my best to stay healthy...but I slip up. And I have an "FSA" at work that takes out money before taxes for my copays and etc. It saved a lot when I needed dental implants. Now I keep it low, just the amount I can roll over year to year, for prescriptions that may come up or the like. That save my tax rate (about 30%) on medical expenses. I also use a Dr. who is a "concierge doctor"...I pay him once a year and everything he can do in the office is included in that 1500$. It's a lot upfront, but he can remove skin tags, he sorted out a long term issue with an arm tendon, and he answers his own phone so when I need something like my epipens renewed, it is immediate. He also contacts me to make sure I keep working out (he has a gym attached to his office and patients get 24/7 access) and keep my back and joint issues at bay.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Over here in the U.K. we have a state funded system which to be honest is over run and if you require private treatment to have quick access you have to pay.
    We have insurances and many companies run employee systems but the small print is always an issue.
    I’m self employed and have a knee that’s on its way out. Our system is far too slow and funding is an issue. I’m looking at around £7000 for an op which is impossible so like many I just keep on going.