How do YOU save money on Christmas gifts?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How do YOU save money on Christmas gifts?

How do YOU save money on Christmas gifts?-savemoneychristmasgifts.jpg

Christmas is a magical time of year. Itís a wonderful season to spend with friends, family, and loved ones, even if the weather isnít quite so nice. Christmas is also a holiday of giving, but you donít necessarily need to spend a lot to show your loved ones you care. 6 Ways to Save Money on Christmas Gifts
    How do YOU save money on Christmas gifts?
    Follow Frugal Village on Facebook and Pinterest!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You need to ask? DIY, of course! 😁

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Alas, I do not have any creativity in my body. I made jingle jars one year (a mason jar layered with ingredients and a recipe card attached) but never heard if the teachers liked them (I did a soup one). I took it as a "no."

I got lucky one year and worked at a retail store where a women's USA league soccer player came in to do signings. I got her to sign two photos. One for my son and another that said, "Hey teacher! Give AJ all A's!" The teacher said it was the best present she ever received. And it was free.

For the most part though, if anyone has seen my posts here or at the Dollar Stretcher forum, I use a lot of rewards points. It can be Swagbucks, credit card points, Walgreens points and anything that I win. I had gotten a $25 gift card from doing a survey and gave that to DS2 as a gift. Sometimes I barter on Craigslist ( I had a furniture business and gave away an item for a holiday lights sighting in a limo)….

When buying online, I always look for coupons. If something that I ordered doesn't arrive in time, I print out its picture and put it in a card so the recipient knows it's coming. This year, DS2 is getting a salsa subscription. Now, HOW do I present that? I took a empty jar and printed out a salsa label and taped it on the jar. I hung a tag that said he will receive 3 months of delicious artisan salsa by mail. He loves his chips and salsa, lemme tell you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ru, that all seems pretty creative to me!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I shop sales and use coupons all year. I love the clearance racks and "scratch and dent" type stores. It's not all damaged or messed up, sometimes manufacturers just change the packaging or their logo. I'm on the email lists of a bunch of companies and regularly scan offers for free products. If it's not something I use then I save it for a gift. I don't let guilt force me to buy anything additional, I just politely ask for the product and walk out.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a "gift bin" (rubber tub with tight lid) that is just for gifts, wrap, and cards I find throughout the year. Some years it works well and I find good things for specific people for good prices, or find things I own that would be best passed along. When there is a surprise graduation or wedding, I usually have something. Just this week I used it for an unexpected "white elephant" exchange at work. I didn't need to go shopping, I pulled out a random gift (a cute apron and dishtowel set I found in new packaging at a thrift store), a gift bag, and some tissue and I'm ready to go.

It doesn't always work, but it usually saves me money

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dear husband I, are change savers. We have a large clear glass jar that we fill with change throughout the year and when we spot something interesting or on sale, we pick it up, sometimes months in advance, but thrifty shopping and having an eye open for savings is how we save.

We often buy our Christmas Turkey in the fall... always seen to get one on sale at that time, and by nature we're homebodies, so not much in the way of added expenses over the season.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use my American Express card all year. Besides the 6% cash back on groceries, there is anywhere from 1% to 3% cash back on everything else. I get about $600 back from that and use it for Christmas. I have a system where I open credit cards to get anywhere from $150 - $250 cash bonuses for spending as little as $500 on anything. So far my FICO score has not dropped below 800, even though I close as many cards as I open each year.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Haven't really bought anyone Christmas gifts in a long time. The only people I really did that for up until recently were my parents and I ended up getting them Barnes and Noble gift cards because that's what they wanted.

If/when I do buy gifts for people, I generally buy them when I see them and give it the person in question when I see them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have greatly reduced the number of presents we buy and told people not to buy for us.

Essentially we are down to just something for each other and hubby's mother and sister.

Instead, we spend time on experiences during the holidays. Many are free or cheap. Some are not.

This year, since Thanksgiving I have:

- Put up the tree
    - Baked dozens of cookies to share (and some to eat LOL)
    - Sat in my rocking chair and enjoyed my tree's lights every evening and early morning
    - Gone to my town's Christmas Walk (free event)
    - Gone to another town's electric light parade/tree lighting (free event)
    - Gone to see Miracle on 34th Street at the movie theater
    - Gone to see Wizard of Oz at local play
    - Gone to see an exhibit at a museum of Christmas around the world (free as friend belongs to museum and can bring a guest)
    - Taken my MIL to multiple craft shows
    - Gone to high tea at a downtown Chicago hotel (so not cheap but so worth it)
    - Enjoyed the amazing hot chocolate I make (truly indulgent with mini marshmallows AND whipped cream AND sprinkles) in a beautiful cup

Still to do:
    - Going to see It's a Wonderful Life at movie theater on Christmas Eve
    - Driving around to see Christmas light displays on Christmas Eve
    - Drink eggnog
    - Enjoy Christmas dinner with MIL and hubby

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate Christmas. Memories are so much better than STUFF.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I buy all year long for stocking stuffers...yesterday I went to Walmart and picked up back scratchers for $1....got all the grandsons one for next year.....at DT I picked up mini stockings to put there money in for next year....I search the thrift shops and garage sales all year....For gc I do ibotta and checkout 51......I have a money jar and I am always picking up money....it goes in the jar...also empty my purse every month or so into the jar....I didn't empty it last year so when I did it this year, it had over $110!! I used that to give to the needy and to start my shopping for next year....I needed a couple of toys for my husband nieces children so I traded some material I had to a friend who could use it and she gave me two new toys so I didn't have to spend any additional money....I start buying holiday food months before and always use a coupon.