Do You Reuse Wooden Pallets For DIY Projects?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Do You Reuse Wooden Pallets For DIY Projects?

If you enjoy DIY projects but are worried about the cost to purchase materials, you may be interested to learn more about pallet projects. You can find pallets for free just about anywhere and they can be disassembled and used for wood. Not only are pallets an inexpensive material to use, but they are highly versatile as well. Save Money with Simple Pallet Projects
    Do you reuse wooden pallets for DIY projects?
    Follow Frugal Village on Facebook and Pinterest!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No but DH breaks them up at work and takes them home to burn in our woodstove. Free wood and a lot of it is oak.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes, we used to get them for free firewood. Very easy to take apart with a pry bar.

Now telephone cable reels, that's a WHOLE nother story. The two ends come off easily, but each end (disk) is two layers of wood, nailed from both sides, and the nail ends peened over. Fuhgeddaboutit.
    Make America Kind Again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am heading up the local chapter of "pallets anonymous"....I love pallets. I use them for fencing, scaffolding, porch steps, compost pile making, a windbreak for the beeyard, staging area for loading/unloading my truck, and I am trying to figure out how to make a roof out of them for a shed I want to build (I have never successfully built so much as a bird house so this will be hard)

The local second harvest food distribution center will load 17 pallets into a shortbed pick up anytime we come by. They even keep the nice ones off to the side for construction projects and pre-cull the ones best only for firewood.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some pallets are treated with chemicals that could be hazardous in your home or vegetable garden, so I have passed on that trend. Got enough health issues already. Also, they are not common in this area, I would have to drive around town looking for them.

https://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We know some people that made pens for their smaller farm animals using pallets. Sturdy and cheap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a couple stacks sitting under a deck, waiting for a project. I sorta regret dragging them home. They're not that easy to take apart even with a pallet puller. The wood tends to crack. I want to take them apart and use the wood to cover the dryer and washer drums we salvaged to use as big planters, so they don't look so ugly. Maybe next summer.

Our local lumberyard sells their pallets for $2 each, with the proceeds going to local youth programs. It's the only place to get pallets in quantity.

We can salvage lumber from the construction pile at our local waste transfer station. That place has been a goold mine for us. We've gotten so much stuff free for the hauling, from plywood and dimension lumber galore to composite decking to a complete knotty pine bed frame that only needed to be dusted. I still can't believe how lucky we've been finding stuff we needed just when we needed it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh doesn't have a problem getting them apart but does say that you need to be on concrete. We do not have any here so that is why he breaks them down at work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't have trouble getting them apart, it's getting them apart without breaking the boards.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pallets are a big business....I use to track pallets for a large distribution company....30 years ago.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can see that, Peg. So many products come on pallets. Our 200 pound generator arrived on a pallet recently.

A lot of people cut up pallets to use for campfires. Many states now ban moving firewood, but it's okay to move kiln dried wood like pallets. Buying firewood at the campground is usually expensive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't have a problem with boards breaking so maybe your pallets have thinner boards? The ones DH gets are probably more heavy duty.