Watch out if you bounce a check

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Watch out if you bounce a check

We have bounced a few at Hannafords and have had to pay the price. The other day I got noticed that we bounced a check May 14 for $177.31. WTF was my first thought but then my brain started working and 1. I get food stamps on the 11th and 2. my checks are usually under $40 that I write there. So I start calling first the collection agency and they have it under my hubby's name but the wrong bank and wrong driver's license.So next I call Hannaford b/c I am thinking identity theft b/c they had their credit info compromised a few months ago and we were one of the ones hit. Well at first they had no clear answers but put me in touch with corp. and they found the problem and fixed it. It seems that they accidentily scanned someones bad check under my hubby's name which was already in the system. I asked what are they going to do to prevent it and she actually told me they have an upgrade to their system that is making a ton of errors and they are trying to fix it as soon as possible. I pushed further and asked about them notifing their customers or myself putting an ad in the paper. Well they quickly transferred me to the oh oh department me who just as quickly said that there are no errors from the upgrade and appoligized for the error. At which point I ended the conversation and hung up with them

About 30 mins later Hannafords called me to again appoligize and offer me a $25 gc. So I wonder what are they trying to keep quiet about now. From now on it is cash or food stamp only

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

good for you for "digging deeper" but I agree what are they hiding .. prob just their reputation I would assume ... I try not write checks much anymore .. just because I thought I had bounced one and found out from the bank it was a $40 charge!! turns out i didnt bounce it , but it was sure a wake up call

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Possibly there reputation but they also were aware of the cc scam for several months (close to 6) before the public was notified. So you never know with them

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That stinks, but at least they tried to make it up to you with a gift card!

You are lucky that it you check your account closely and that it bounced and got your attention. I'm sure there are alot of people out there who may never have noticed it go through and not realized that it wasn't actually theirs! We have OD protection on our account, so it would have been paid out on our account, and I'm sure that would have been a nice mess to clean up!

I hope your bank removed the OD fees. If not, I would call Hannafords and make sure they cover it! Good luck, I hope you don't have any more problems!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow now that was a close call, I am glad you dug deeper and got to the bottom of things, also good you got a $25 GC

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate writing checks....always seems someone is saying they had something happen cause of a check!! Nice to get the $25 gift card...but I would be real careful every time you go in there. Is there somewhere that you can check to see if your cc has been compromised again?? Sure sounds like they are covering something...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You did really well by mentioning calling the newspapers. I would never of thought of it. I'm also wondering what they are hiding but congrats on getting that gift card!