Advice for how to keep our car
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Advice for how to keep our car

DH bought a used car in May. Long story short, the second insurance payment wasn't made and the insurance was canceled in the end of June. I found out about it a couple weeks ago. We rearranged money already accounted for, and got new insurance with the same company.

Yesterday we got a letter in the mail saying that the credit union that gave us the car loan was notified by the insurance company that it was canceled in June, which violates the loan agreement. They need proof of continuous insurance within 5 days.

We have a copy of the insurance card that shows October as the end date, but I'm assuming that won't do any good since they were notified by that company. And I don't know if it would put us at risk of fraud to try to use that.

We're in the worst financial position we've ever been in. We'll be out of it next month. We owe $5,000 on the car loan. We could potentially have that paid off by December, but we have literally nothing beyond the monthly payment that we could give in the next two weeks.

We have "nothing" to sell. Our tv is 15 years old, as is most of the furniture. Our computer is old. Our rent is phenomenally low. I walk to work. I tried a yard sale and Craigslist and made less than $100. I have no real jewelry.

And of course we have bad credit. DH was able to get the car loan through the credit union by the skin of his teeth. The only thing I can think of is to get a loan that will cover what we owe the CU, but I don't know where we'd find one with our credit. We have no credit cards. I would be willing to take one on if we could get a limit that would cover the car loan. I know it goes against all principles of good money management. But we're not at risk of overusing a card. Our financial situation will change next month, and we could make that card our top priority and have it paid off in as few as four months.

We can't lose this car. It's a 2002 with over 100,000 miles. We bought it for the brand reliability and because DH's dad will work on this brand for only the cost of the parts. DH drives 20+ miles to work every day and needs a reliable car and a cheap mechanic. This car was supposed to be the beginning of getting out of debt for us. Letting it go would mean settling on a very cheap clunker that would add up in wear and tear very quickly while we tried to save to buy another reliable car with cash. This car was the one good money decision we've made in years.

Help, please.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Call the Credit Union, explain the mix up, apologize profusely, and see what they say.

They don't want your car - it's not worth it to them for $5k on a 100k mile 2002 car.

If your car loan is covered and you have insurance NOW, I'm betting they'll work with you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That exactly what I was going to say. Their not in the business of car repo and would definately rather have you pay. Pay it off quickly to improve your relationship w/ them in the future.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Standard form letter is sent when they receive notification from insurance company that insurance has lapsed. When you paid and reinstated your insurance, the company SHOULD have notified your lender. Just call your insurance company and ask if they notified your lender.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, Savvy. Hopefully they did. We'll find out tomorrow. DH is going in to talk to or plead with them. But regardless of the notice there was still a gap that was over 30 days, which is still in violation of the loan agreement.

The responses gave me a new outlook, though, and I'm going to assume it will all work out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by willbestressfree View Post
    The responses gave me a new outlook, though, and I'm going to assume it will all work out.
    No.

NO NO NO NO NO!

DO NOT ASSUME.

Get on the phone and take ACTION.

If you talk to them, if YOU take the bull by the horns and reach out first, you will get a much more understanding party on the other end 9 times out of 10. If you just wait, do nothing, and take no action, and just assume it'll work out, you surrender your fate to them.

If you want to assume, you have my permission to only ever assume ONE thing: Avoiding a potentially negative situation will NEVER make it better, only worse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Greebo is right! Never Never assume!!

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by willbestressfree View Post
    DH bought a used car in May. Long story short, the second insurance payment wasn't made and the insurance was canceled in the end of June. I found out about it a couple weeks ago. We rearranged money already accounted for, and got new insurance with the same company.

Yesterday we got a letter in the mail saying that the credit union that gave us the car loan was notified by the insurance company that it was canceled in June, which violates the loan agreement. They need proof of continuous insurance within 5 days.

We have a copy of the insurance card that shows October as the end date, but I'm assuming that won't do any good since they were notified by that company. And I don't know if it would put us at risk of fraud to try to use that.

We're in the worst financial position we've ever been in. We'll be out of it next month. We owe $5,000 on the car loan. We could potentially have that paid off by December, but we have literally nothing beyond the monthly payment that we could give in the next two weeks.

We have "nothing" to sell. Our tv is 15 years old, as is most of the furniture. Our computer is old. Our rent is phenomenally low. I walk to work. I tried a yard sale and Craigslist and made less than $100. I have no real jewelry.

And of course we have bad credit. DH was able to get the car loan through the credit union by the skin of his teeth. The only thing I can think of is to get a loan that will cover what we owe the CU, but I don't know where we'd find one with our credit. We have no credit cards. I would be willing to take one on if we could get a limit that would cover the car loan. I know it goes against all principles of good money management. But we're not at risk of overusing a card. Our financial situation will change next month, and we could make that card our top priority and have it paid off in as few as four months.

We can't lose this car. It's a 2002 with over 100,000 miles. We bought it for the brand reliability and because DH's dad will work on this brand for only the cost of the parts. DH drives 20+ miles to work every day and needs a reliable car and a cheap mechanic. This car was supposed to be the beginning of getting out of debt for us. Letting it go would mean settling on a very cheap clunker that would add up in wear and tear very quickly while we tried to save to buy another reliable car with cash. This car was the one good money decision we've made in years.

Help, please.
    If you don't have car ins on a car with a loan they normally add the ins for you at an outrageous rate and only for them to be paid for the car should there be an accident. Why don't you contact them and see if they will just add that onto your loan that you already have for the amount of time you were not insured. OR will the insurance company in any way allow you to back pay. (It would really be in their best interest; they'd be getting money for time already passed with no accident happening(free money for them)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck, sweetie! I agree that you need to call and talk to them yourself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree.......some ACTION is needed..........good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

so was your husband actually driving this car for the 30+ days that it wasn't insured??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    No.

NO NO NO NO NO!

DO NOT ASSUME.

Get on the phone and take ACTION.

If you talk to them, if YOU take the bull by the horns and reach out first, you will get a much more understanding party on the other end 9 times out of 10. If you just wait, do nothing, and take no action, and just assume it'll work out, you surrender your fate to them.

If you want to assume, you have my permission to only ever assume ONE thing: Avoiding a potentially negative situation will NEVER make it better, only worse.
    She said her husband is going to call the credit union, Greebo. You want them both to call the credit union? She didn't say she was going to wait around for an answer to fall into her lap, guys.

willbestressfree, I came in to say pretty much the exact same thing. The credit union doesn't want your car. Even if they did, a repo takes awhile. By the time it happens 'next month' and whatever money solution you have planned will likely be here.

And even if you did lose that car (pretty stupid on the part of the CU, imo) it's not the end of the world. So what if you have to drive a clunker? It sounds like your situation is bad enough that a recalled car loan is going to be a hill of beans in comparison. Get that clunker. Bum a ride. Walk.

Most importantly, you need to start planning now to make sure that this doesn't happen again.

Hang in there. this will pass.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
    She said her husband is going to call the credit union, Greebo. You want them both to call the credit union? She didn't say she was going to wait around for an answer to fall into her lap, guys. .
    Yeah, you're right, she didn't. Sorry - "assume" is a red flag to a bull for me - I saw that and the rest of the context of the post just slid on by my processors.

My apologies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast