Update and Prayers Needed...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Update and Prayers Needed...

Hi all...

It's been a while since I posted, so I thought I'd do an update, along with a request for prayers/advice.

• DD22's pregnancy is coming along well. She is 6 weeks away from her due date, but baby is already moving lower into her pelvis, so he's preparing himself for his arrival. She's happy he's moved down so she can breathe again! Doctor says she has 6 weeks left...I say less. I think we're going to see him in the next 4 weeks sometime. (He has the hiccups as we speak, just got to feel him jumping around...LOL)
    • Both adult kids are still living with me, and still without jobs. (Gotta love living in Michigan.) DS18 is going to be graduating from high school in 6 weeks, and desperately wants to work. Unfortunately, neither of them drives at this time - mainly because I'm the only source of income for the household and can't afford to put them on my insurance. I've promised DS18 I will get him driving by the time he graduates, and DD22 will be driving soon after.
    • DS12 is coming up with his dad & stepmom for DS18's graduation and then will stay for the summer with me. I miss him terribly and look forward to seeing him.

Now for the prayers/advice part...

Financially, we are really struggling right now. DD22 gets help in the form of food stamps and WIC, but while that helps, it doesn't pay the rent or utilities. (We use coupons to stretch the food stamps as far as possible.) I bring home less than $18,000 a year after all the taxes and insurance, etc. I cannot go out and get a second job right now - DD22 is going to be having her baby soon, and DS12 will be here for his summer visit in 6 weeks. I don't get to see DS12 for more than a couple of days at any other time of the year, so this summer visit, I need to be *here* - not at a 2nd job. I'm behind on several bills, and trying to catch up, but it's not easy at all.

To top it all off - as if there wasn't enough stress already - our landlord has put our house up for sale. If it sells, we will only have 30 days to move out. She and her husband are having problems, and she owns the house on her own - my take on it is that he resents paying for a house that is not in his name, because she doesn't work. He makes a good living as a retired military doctor, so they're not hurting financially, but they are having problems in their marriage, and he is insisting that she sell the house. If they divorce, something will happen with the house - and it won't be good - for us, anyway.

I am selling items on Ebay (anything not needed or nailed down - even the dog is looking at me in fear right now..), but that source of income is sporadic. Some weeks I sell quite a bit, some weeks nothing at all. So I can't count on that as a reliable source of income.

We are going to be cutting back on everything we possibly can, including our satellite for the tv (we have movies we can watch), and cutting back even further on any excess travel. We don't go far now as it is, but we will be cutting back even further.

Does anyone know of resources out there for single parents needing financial help - given my situation? I know the kids need to get jobs, but right now, it's a waiting game until DD22 has her baby and gets back on her feet and can work, and DS18 graduates and can get a job. I'm confident that those things WILL happen in the future...but my problem is right now.

I keep telling my kids it's not an impossible situation - it's not a great one, but not impossible. But to be quite honest, I'm losing faith in myself to be able to provide for the people in my household, and now there's a baby coming that will need diapers, etc. DD22 will be breastfeeding, so at least there's that (no formula expense), and we do have a few packs of diapers to get started with, but they will only last a couple of weeks at best.

So there it is, laid out. Sorry for the long post, but I guess I needed to vent a little bit. I've tried to remain positive and upbeat about the whole thing with the kids, but recently, I've been becoming more and more depressed about the situation as a whole, and while I know it will get better eventually, my problems are immediate, and can't wait for "eventually".

Any prayers and/or advice on resources for help are welcome. Please.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just take one day at a time, try to be as organized as possible, read suggestions on being frugal in this forum and know there is always hope for the future. Keep the faith !

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Why can't your daughter get help paying the rent? I know at least here in NY you could (meaning you) be considered her Landlord..Good luck honey..

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Prayers for you and your family and for a healthy, happy baby.
    Times are tough, hopefully things will start happening soon with jobs for your children so they can help out too. It is a big burden on you. I hope everything starts turning around for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am sorry you are in such a tight spot. Keep your chin up. Someone here will have some advice that will help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Prayers definitely said. I think you are doing well and thinking up great ideas (like selling on eBay). I would suggest cloth diapers instead of disposable as they save so much money. I dont have any ideas for single parent assistance...sorry but I am sure there will be some who respond who will know. An idea for the summer with your youngest might be to get a paper-route you could do together. I did that one year with my son when money was tight. We used that time to be alone, talk, get exercise and we made enough to pay a few of the smaller bills (phone, few groceries). It really helped. Good luck and wishing you the best. ((hugs))

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sending prayers your way and positive thoughts.

I agree with DC's suggestion for the cloth diapers.....much cheaper. And two, three, or four dozen dozen will last a long time.

And you might luck out and whoever buys the house will let you rent it......be sure to talk to the person that purchases it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Does your daughter get wic or welfare? Have you tried to speak with a social worker? Does your 18 year old have to be a graduate to get a job or can he get a part time one before graduation? Look through the yellow pages and see what organizations are in your area that help women. Our YMCA has a womens opportunity center that helps with loads of things. There are options, sometimes you need to know someone to find out what they are. If you know any single mothers seek them out and see if they know of any programs or organizations that can help. Keep food banks in mind. Local churches usually have fishes and loaves for food, diapers and detergent. It will get better. I am praying for you and sending good thoughts. Keep us posted about your situation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

sending prayers your way dear. and positive thoughts. chin up is right, God will give ya what u need dear. ask him and u shall recieve.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm so sorry you are going through all this. I have missed hearing from you and I will pray for your family right now!!! Have you tried wishuponahero.com? Its a great website to posts wishes and so many of them get granted I grant some wishes on there sometimes by sending out birthday cards for kids and such...please check it out, you may find a hero to help you in this tough time!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sending prayers your way ~ hugs!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the well wishes and prayers.

Things are looking rough for the next month. My landlord just advised me yesterday that she and her husband are divorcing. We can stay in the house if we can keep up with the rent (we have been behind a few times, and are currently behind again, but working hard to catch up). She's a wonderful landlord, very patient and understanding - but she's in a tough spot herself now, because she doesn't work. My sincerest hope is that the kids can both get jobs soon (son is looking already, and daughter will start looking as soon as the baby is born and she recovers). The option we have is this: get caught up on the rent and stay caught up, or move.

I truly hate being in this position, but I feel like I've pretty much brought it on myself by allowing my daughter to move back in with me...but I also feel like I did the right thing by letting her come home. She needed to be with me at this time, and will need me when the baby comes and afterwards. I just hope we can get through this rough patch without losing our home, having utilities shut off, or any other calamities.

On a brighter note, I have the best kids in the world. (Ok, ok, I'm a little biased!) LOL I came home today and DS18 had sold his video game system for $20 to a neighbor. Yes, he probably could have gotten more for it, but it was an older system, and hey, he had his heart in the right place. I was extremely proud! DD22 and I have worked out a system where she preps my Ebay listings for me during the day, and I come home at night and tweak the listings, check them over for any errors, and post them.

So, yes...it's not a great situation right now, but we're working our way out of it. Just hoping and praying that we can make it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yey for your awesome kids!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have any advice to offer, but just want to say, "I care."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also don't have any advice for you but I do want to say that I will be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.
    (((HUGS)))))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast