2014 Budget
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Budget

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 2014 Budget

Its that time of year again to start plotting, planning and praying on my 2014 budget. I've been reviewing bills, making changes to reduce them where possible and generally looking at everything with an eye to the new budget.

We've changed TV carriers which will reduce our bill by $30 to $40 for 2014.

I've changed my medical insurance policies which will save me $62 + $25 each month and potentially more minus $147 per year new deductible.

I've not renewed several magazine subscriptions.

I keep close track of our spending on a monthly basis so I'll average the year for each catagory and use that as a starting point for the new budget. Then I'll factor in changes up or down that I know are in the works for 2014 and hope/pray it all works out.

I've picked up some extra income this year by continuing to go into the office to train but that's pretty much at an end. I'm thinking after January's special reports I'll not be going in again so no extra income for 2014.

I'm open for any ideas or suggestions.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're doing the same thing too....
    In Feb. the contract w/ the electric company will expire & we'll switch to a company that has lower rates...same for the phone in April. We have 3 insurances on our house, we are going to review them & maybe we can drop 1...or 2. We plan to finally pay off our car loan with the tax return and then we can drop the auto insurance to basic liability/underinsured motorist....and we are thinking of selling our van & going down to one vehicle...that will also save on insurance/maintenance/gas. That's about all that I can think of....along with trying to cut back on utilities, trying not to waste anything,and have more no-spend days

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My goal is to increase our "savings" contributions to 20% of our income. Right now we're at 5%. I'm planning on accomplishing this by focusing on a different budget category each month. Last month, I started closing in on groceries. I created a price book, dabbled in couponing, stockpiled on sales items and I'm keeping a freezer inventory (I need to do the same for my pantry.) I'd love to get to the point where we average less than $400 a month (for 2 adults & 3 kids 5 and under). Right now our average is sitting at $486 a month.

This month I decided to tackle our phone/internet services. I ditched my smart phone, cancelled my land line & replaced it with Basic Talk (which uses the internet). Those changes are going to save me $120 a month.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

With hubby's new benefits package we'll see an extra $100 taken out of each paycheck. I think his 401k contribution is going to go up another 2%, too. We're also thinking about getting DD a smart phone for Christmas which will increase or cellphone bill. You're right, I need to start looking for other areas to cut back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Love reading all this great ideas as I gear up to work on our budget. The one thing that has been such a blessing is having savings taken out automatically on a regular basis - definitely need to keep that going strong!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did a new budget for 2014 for many reasons. First I got a new job and will study part-time instead of full-time. I'll then have more income each month but I promised my bf to pay him a monthly rent when I'll no longer be a full-time student. I also got rid of all my debts in 2013 so I'm focusing on saving as much as I can for the next years (without compromising on enjoying life a little ).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ahhhh thank you for posting this will give me and dh something to go over during lunch. I like doing my yearly goals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do look forward to the New Year. It's a time of renewal.
    I have been sick but am starting to feel better. Time to work on my house.
    I am gulten and dairy intolerant so my food budget is all messed up. I spend way to much on food but we never eat out!
    I need to really save money for new garage doors and two windows.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of the things I need to do most is to stay away from EBay....I spend way too much money there. I also need to limit my time on the Internet, so that I have more time to organize my house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am making a push to finish some education to change careers. I am on ssdi and can finish spring semester without working. I lose some excellent health perks with 100% coverage for a lot of useless care and drugs that I am required to tolerate. My last two semester study attempts have involved useless dead end jobs that keep asking for more and more hours affecting my studies badly. I see a future of 30 more years of this at least tolerating employee-eating employers and constant govt threats to cut ssdi pension.

Thisdecision will require much effort to change my spending/ eating comforts as I continue to deal with chronic, untreatable health complaint that is debilitating to many. I must make this work.....otherwise every person who abused me to the point of a nervous breakdown to keep their family sex abusers busy with strangers will have won.

These screwed up people are never far away and make appearances frequently to get their jollies. This kind of story is not uncommon with some wealthy families with sex abuse practices financially supporting their predator childre while these monsters just entertain themselves doing anything they wish while the cops/courts turn a blind eye to it all. Some of the restraining order courts have a frequent flyer club for these defendants - legal aide denied to plaintiffs, court advocates lie to victims, no legal information for victim to prepare her case resulting in many dismissals of cases, days of missed work when orders are violated and cases lost result in defendants' record wiped and no way for victims to research their abuser's other victims.
    Even cross country move will have towns' crazies bothering victims withIn a few days - called gang stalking. Some of these abusers will fly across the country repeatedly to bother a victim without any protection from any of the authorities. Many police depts will try to silence these victims by ordering nuisnces to forced mental care resulting in loss of employment and filing for SSSI.

This scam is ramped in us.
    Last edited by miss_cas; 12-01-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our general budget will not change much, but I recently sat down to plot out our savings goals. Always seems like too many things to save for, not enough money to save! But having a plan helps to change that.

I too am nervous to see how hubby's paycheck is reduced in '14, by taxes or health insurance costs. Word has it, his employer will not be providing any insight into the plans offered until summertime, so not much to do about it until then. DD, 5, will be in school full time as of next Sept, so while it's still a while away, it's time to start thinking about what I'll do then. Work from home more, or get a part time job? I'm hoping to stay home still. I'm happy to work, but I need the flexibility to be there for the kids when they're sick as we have no family/friends nearby in a position to help when they cannot attend school, and hubby gets no paid sick days.

Before we know it, it will time to handle taxes, either planning what to do with a refund, or planning how to handle an amount owed. Something to think about, if you may fall into category #2.

Side note- I put an extra $320 or so into our escrow account this past year, in dribs and drabs. Sure am glad I did! Just got a copy of our tax bill, and it's increased this current bill. We paid less than $100 more to make up what might have been a shortage otherwise. It will still go up to reflect the tax increase, but this is better than having to scrape up $4xx when the bill comes or face the mortgage increasing even MORE.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are dumping the smart phones in about a month for cheapy flip phones...I really don't want or need all this technology. Save about $100 a month for 2014 budget. Will be slashing the food budget this year too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by suzysaver View Post
    We are dumping the smart phones in about a month for cheapy flip phones...I really don't want or need all this technology. Save about $100 a month for 2014 budget. Will be slashing the food budget this year too.
    Why don't you dump the cable while you at it and save even more money?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My goal is to start putting money towards the principal on our mortgage. Would like to get it paid down as quickly as possible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have reduced the electric bill $100. a month
    -Ds left for the army
    -shut off the lg. freezer
    -Dh works away sometimes
    -new refridge

The cell cost went down
    -dad passed
    -making Dmom and DD get their own
    -I am studying what phone I should go to

I went w/ a new diabetic meter and the strip are covered by ins.
    =so $37x a least 4x=$148.

Decided to swallow my pride and accept gas money from Dmom as travel all over to her appts.

Going to check into mixing cat litter w/ something like a cheaper cat litter.

Not paying for any college this yr.
    Ds is totally under Army medical and dental,will buy his own clothes and such,phone too.

2 of our cats are 16 this yr. and we will watch their health but as the pets age-it's a luxury we wont replace.

Bought all my dogs arthritis meds for the year on clearance for 25% of the cost and then found coupons.

DD will have her friend cut her hair in exchange for babysitting favors. I am doing $12. cuts at Meijer salon. DH is doing Fantastic Sams w/ coupon.

I am strtching the oil changes to 4 months instead of 3 thereby dropping 2 changes between the 2 vehicles.

Going to pay 2 more bills online saving 12x2=24 stamps.
    Going to pay the garbage service for a whole yr. too saving 2 more stamps.
    Ds can be called now saving about 2 packets of stamps. We both have unlimited calls

Going to take out a loan to move the CC Interst to 7% instead of 17%. That will save $1000.

Going back to cooking at home more. And paying cash when we do go out. Puts a lid on things.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast