Parents of Autistic Children Kith
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Parents of Autistic Children Kith

After 2 years of being pushed around, my 4 yr old was formally diagnosed with Autism. I would love to talk to others who are dealing with the same.
    Last edited by mrsvargas; 08-10-2008 at 12:31 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow. With Autism rates being so high, I am really surprised there are not more Autistic families here. I can never go to a board and not find a big batch.

I have 4 kids, 3 on the spectrum, and now know their father is undiagnosed spectrum as well.

How is your son doing?

My kids were diagnosed about 7+ years ago...feel free to contact me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My son has high functioning autism. (aspergers) He was diagnosed 6 years ago. He is 18 now. He is a senior in high school.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My eldest son, Matthew, was diagnosed in May 2001 with Autism Spectrum Disorder and Echolalia. If you all need some advice or a person to rant to, I'm your woman.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our 18 yr. old dd was diagnosed with Asperger's when she was around 12. Our 6 yr. old is a high functioning autistic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a friend with a daughter that was diagnosed "on spectrum". She put her on a gluten free diet and the change is huge. She was tested and isn't on spectrum any more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My daughter was just diagnosed at age 12 with Asperger's. I had suspected it for several years, but because we had only the state sponsored health insurance for low-income children, it was very difficult getting the testing approved. In fact, the mental health clinic where she had been going for counseling finally agreed to wave the cost for the testing, because they were compassionate.

It is good to know what we are really facing, but I have known for a long time that Molly had many issues with social situations. She finally has made two friends (her first ever), and she is in the 7th grade. We homeschooled for grades 3-5, and were active in a large homeschool group, but she would not even talk to the other children, or have anything to do with them. I worry about how long she will be able to maintain her new friendships, because she refuses to "do any of the work". For instance, she will talk briefly on the phone if one of her friends calls her, but she will not MAKE a phone call. She won't even answer the phone when it rings, unless she can see on the caller ID that it is her father or I calling. She won't even pick up the phone if it is her grandmother calling. She will just ignore the ringing.

She is extremely bright, and has been successful (with grades, anyway) since we put her back in public school at the beginning of last year. She maintains a 4.0 GPA. The homeschooling had become such a struggle, as she started to fight me over every assignment. I finally could not take it any more. Sometimes it is a struggle in the morning to get her to go to school, but once she is there, she performs well. We have never had anything but glowing reports on her academic performance. Her teachers have noticed that she doesn't interact socially with her classmates, but I think they almost appreciate a good student who is not always trying to talk to her friends in class.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi Deb!
    How;'d I miss this the first time around?
    My younger son has FAS, as many of you already know - due to his FAS, he is on the autism spectrum.........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

my dd 7 is aspergers as well, the diff is she tries and want to interact with peers, but does so in inapproriate ways and bad times....the school was so not helpful, i'm homeschooling the rest of this year and will reevaluate in the summer

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My DS (12) is an Aspie as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My oldest is a ds age 9 and is also an Aspie or as his therapist says a kid that shows "Asperger tendancies" his therapist officially diagnosed him so we could pursue and IEP but he doesn't show enough tendancies to be "classic Aspergers" whatever that means. He does have friends, but definitely relates better with kids a year or two younger. We are planning on homeschooling him starting next year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My youngest son (6 yrs) was dx adhd/mild aspergers last year. We suspected the aspergers or ocd from almost the beginning. The diagnosis was slow to come and because of that kindergarten was hell for him and us.

After we received a private dx, the school did their testing. They insisted on testing him ON his meds (adderall at the time). He tested high IQ , borderline adhd and very borderline AS. But because he is not "academically impacted" the school refused ANY kind of help. I felt then and still do now that he needs social skills help.

His first grade teacher this year is wonderful. She tries to help him interact w/the other kids more. I am lucky that he talks to me and I try to help him w/any issues (usually social) that come up. He seems to me to be about 1 1/2 yrs behind socially.

This has been a long hard road and its hard to find anyone who truly understands unless they have been through it. Finding you guys is a blessing.

I thought about homeschooling this year but, ds really really needed to go back to school to see that it is not the horrible thing it was last year. He really needs the social interaction too. I haven't done a very good job getting him out and about....It is just now getting easier.
    We actually just started attending church again for the first time since he was about 2 yrs old.I am hoping he can try a team sport this spring too.

Sorry for such a long post.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It looks like several of us have considered or are going to definately homeschool our kids. I have considered it but I am worried that he needs to be w/other kids and in society(school) to learn the social norms. He gets along w/others but tends to have difficulty relating to those his own age. He is six. He does better with younger or older kids.

What do you all think of the above mentioned issue?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well grade 2 was such a disaster for us...that any social benefits were eliminated by how frustrated she was and how angry...

she was bullied and was fed up with all of it..the fact is school is not a realisitic social situation...

we have her in brownies (girl guides) skating and she'll be starting social skills classes for aspergers...

so her education isnt all mixed up with her socialization...

whether you homeschool or not..the best book i've read is Homeschooling your aspergers child..

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Homeschooling-Child-Asperger-Syndrome-Anywhere/dp/1843107619/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233772117&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Homeschooling the Child With Asperger Syndrome: Real Help for Parents Anywhere and on Any Budget: Lise Pyles: Books[/ame]

soooo good , with great insights, for ME validated why it wasnt working in class and why at home is best for her....but even if you keep him in school will give you GREAT INSIGHTS into your child...

author's child is aspergers...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok I have a grandson who him austism. I do not know what kind. Before my son got involved with his mother her whle family throught everything was normal. He was 6 when he was dx. Only because my son was pushing her to find out what was wrong. Now He is very mean and thinks it is funny when someone gets hurt or he likes to hurt the cat. He has sessions 4 days a week to help with behavior. I have seen no inprovment. Is there anyway to stop him from being so mean. Normal punishment does not work. He now lives with me.So I am noticing it a lot more........
    Fern

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast