Anyone vegetarian
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone vegetarian

How did you become vegetarian? Born and raised or made the decision later on? I have been vegetarian all my life. Even when I was a baby and starting on solid foods my parents couldn't get me to eat meat. They tried hiding it in everything. They did the same with eggs with no sucess either. They don't know where I came from as everyone in my family tree loves and eats meat. I always joke that I must of been switched at birth. I have never had a vegetarian friend or family member so I always feel like I am weird and an outcast. To this day when I go eat at someone elses house I bring my own meal as they have no clue what to feed a vegetarian. My husband and children also eat meat. I am learning as an adult how to eat correctly as I had bad habits. My parents didn't know what to feed me so I turned to eating sweets and bad stuff since I was always hungry. Instead of finding alternatives when I was young they just kept trying to force me to eat eggs and meat hoping they would win at some point.
    Can anyone else relate to feeling as the outcast as the only vegetarian? Any tips or tricks etc are welcome as I have a lot to learn.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband and I are both vegetarian, he for about 6 years and myself for about 3 years.
    We eat pretty well but don't tend to get invited to peoples houses for dinner too often Some people are understanding, others not. I do get annoyed with so many people always asking why I choose not to eat meat, some people are rather confrontational about it and can be rude.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Me!!! I have been for over 20 years now (I'm 29 so I stopped pretty young) I realized what exactly meat was and couldn't eat it anymore, I don't do eggs or fish either. I tend to read way too much and don't eat a lot of things anymore... I don't do jello either or anything with gelatin. I get a lot of grief from people, I always hear what do you eat, can you eat anything? Um no I don't eat, what a stupid question. Luckily, my bf doesn't care, he eats it but not a lot (I won't cook anything I have to touch or mess with) and has to deal with the weird looks from restaurants when I order things like chicken fajitas without the chicken my mother was very good about it also, she cooked a lot of separate meals

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I gave up meats March 1, 2005. I turned 30 in July of 2003. The following year was horrible for me, medically speaking. I had always been in perfect health, athletic, could not have asked for anything more. Withing a couple of months of my b'day my gallbladder had to come out. Then three months later I was hospitalized with pancreatits - something you normally get before the gallbadder comes out - not after. My blood sugar was screwed, my triglycerides (in a normal person they are suppose to be under 200) were over 5000 (yes five THOUSAND) and I was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease. The docs were telling my parents and DH I should not be alive, chances were I could die, not to expect em to leave the hospital alive, etc... I was allowed to have pain meds (mainly morphine) as often as I requested. At that point it was just a matter of keeping me as comfortable as possible.

Well, fast forward. I made it through and finally got out of the hospital. I was not allowed to do anything for eight weeks. I sat around - could not go to work, drive, NOTHING!!! I was put on meds to bring down my trigl., but they only came down to the 2000 range. I went to my nutritionist and talked to her about everything. She went over the ins and outs of which foods do what to your body. Since I already had bad genes in the trigl. department and meds were doing all they could the only thing left was for me to make serious changes in what I ate and meats went bye-bye. I was never a "bad" eater, my body just cannot handle what most other people's bodies can.

I am proud to say I have been "meat free" for almost 3 years. My trigl. are now staying under 500 (which is awesome for me) and steadily getting lower while my good cholesterol is getting higher ever so slowly.

I also quit smoking 4 years ago on January 4th. I must admit, giving up meat was so much harder. There are days I want a piece of chicken and I crave a pork chop here and there. But for me it really does come down to being healthier and being around for my family.

No one else in our family is a vegetarian and everyone is very good with it. They all seem to understand and work with me when we have family gatherings. I also get the funny looks at Taco Bell when I order a taco supreme with no meat.

WOW - sorry that was so long. I tend to be a chatterbox at times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow Neely what an experience, happy to hear you are doing well now.

Tina 150 on top of being vegetarian I am fussy also. I don't eat seafood, eggs,brocolli, cauliflower, corn, cabbage, avocado or anything spicy not even pepper. I get the what do you eat all the time. People think I am so weird! It's nice to know I am not alone

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shortcake View Post
    Tina 150 on top of being vegetarian I am fussy also. I don't eat seafood, eggs,brocolli, cauliflower, corn, cabbage, avocado or anything spicy not even pepper. I get the what do you eat all the time. People think I am so weird! It's nice to know I am not alone

I'm glad I'm not the only one either, I've also heard all of the jokes over the years too like do you eat animal crackers... ha ha Oh well it doesn't bother me, I feel good that I'm not eating animals

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used to be a vegetarian and no longer am. My 12 year old daughter, however has been a vegetarian since she was 8. Just like the person who posted above - she realized where it was coming from and couldn't eat it any more. She does eat eggs and dairy but "nothing with eyes."

I have been very supportive of her, and it has not been that hard since I used to be a vegetarian - I know what to make for her and how to make it healthy. I know that people think she is weird sometimes but I am very proud of her for making an ethical decision at such a young age and sticking with it, whether or not people giver her funny looks.

Neeley, I just got the mother of all Christmas presents that you would just love. It is a crockpot with two sections in it. So on one side today I am making a marinara with spinach and on the other marinara with meatballs!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Daisygirl View Post

Neeley, I just got the mother of all Christmas presents that you would just love. It is a crockpot with two sections in it. So on one side today I am making a marinara with spinach and on the other marinara with meatballs!
    That sounds so cool. I have never seen one before but I am going to look for one. That would be such a nice item to have. My mom is always getting me little extra "prizes" so I am going to have to put her on the look out so she can maybe give me one as my next "prize" - LOL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't know they existed with two compartments either. I have to check it out. It would be so cool to be able to prepare two different meals at once using less energy and dishes. Thanks for the tip!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was raised vegetarian by a mother who always hated meat. She got a lot of grief about my not getting enough nutrition, but I'm pretty damn healthy.

I eat a lot of fish now, but still don't eat any meat except for the very occasional chicken, but that comes and goes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was a vegetarian (ovo-lacto-) from ages 12-17, then vegan until age 19. I became one after finding out about animal cruelty/. Long story short and somewhat undetailed, I stopped being vegan and recently (about 4 months ago) became vegan again. This time it was originally for health reasons, but then I started reading about animal cruelty and going to the sites I used to and decided to again be vegan also for animal rights and to become an active-activist in that area.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i am too!
    veggie - bordering on vegan.
    chose to become at young age.

nice to meet others on here who are!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm vegetarian again as of Jan 1 of this year. I eased into it over the month of December. My daughter has been for a few months and reminded me why it was a good idea. I was vegetarian for several years and got away from it more than a decade ago.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What do you guys eat? Just looking for more ideas BF eats meat so I try to make stuff that I can make with and without...I make:

Cheese Enchiladas/ Turkey Enchiladas
    Cheese Bean/ Cheese Chicken Quesadillas
    Rice Stuffed Peppers / Rice Turkey Peppers
    Veggie/ Veggie Chicken Stir Fry

That's just a few, I need some lower fat ideas... too much cheese and would like to loose a little weight

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Vegreenmom View Post
    I started reading about animal cruelty and going to the sites
    Yeah me too, now I can't use Suave products anymore, I miss my Suave stuff but found they test on bunnies

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast