Article: Every Kitchen Needs... Cast Iron Cookware!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Article: Every Kitchen Needs... Cast Iron Cookware!

That's right, every kitchen needs CAST IRON COOKWARE; at least a couple of pieces, because...If you want cookware with the original non-stick cooking surface, that will outlast what you commonly find today called non-stick, then you need to start a lifelong rewarding affair with that been-around-since-before- time-began cast iron variety. Nothing sticks to seasoned cast iron, it can't peel or scratch like "non-stick" cookware can, and it's even rust resistant if properly seasoned. Read on...

If that's not reason enough, consider these facts: Cast iron is virtually indestructible; cannot wear out; will never warp, dent, chip, or break. Cast iron heats evenly, and that ends hot spots and burnt food; it keeps hot food hot longer. And that means you can use less heat and water when cooking with iron, thereby saving energy and preserving nutrients.

However, there is one caution: According to a study that appeared in July 1986, in the Journal of The American Dietetic Association, "cooking in iron utensils significantly increased the iron content of food." If you have any questions or doubts, see your doctor. But, even though this may be the case for some people, as far as many folks are concerned, especially those using family heirloom pieces that have been handed down for generations, food cooked in cast iron tastes better; it's just that simple.

Now, let's suppose you don't have a good old fashioned cast iron skillet, but have decided to take the plunge; to spend a few bucks at your local brick-and-mortar retailer, or even on line for that matter; to become the proud owner of a non-seasoned, not-yet-ready-to-use piece of cast iron. What's the first thing you need to do?

Get in shape! If you're going to check out cast iron cookware at your local discount store, you'd better start your conditioning program a couple of weeks before you plan to venture out. If you're doing all your research and shopping on line, you have a little longer, but not much.

Why all the fuss about getting in shape? you ask. The answer is obvious, think about it. Cast iron cookware is heavy stuff; the bigger, the heavier (gee, that makes sense). It's not made for easy handling by the-years-gone-by 99-pound-now-235-pound- weakling. Some pieces should come with special accessories! Consider...

Some pieces are so heavy... How heavy are they? you ask. They're soooo heavy that you should have a second person help you lift it, and that's when it's empty. Or, if you can get someone to loan you a block-and-tackle, or install an overhead crane with track and remote control, or rig up some other type of ingenious device, you'll be truly thankful in more ways than one. Let me tell you about...

What? No, this is not an exaggeration. Why, we've seen grown men brought to their knees trying to lift a full-to-within- one-inch-from-the-top campfire style Dutch oven. Yep, we sure have. Okay, enough is enough.

Folks, you don't need to get excited about the size of some of these fine pieces of cookware; in all likelihood they're not what you actually need for your own personal in-kitchen use. In most instances, you'll probably want a 10-inch and 12-inch skillet, a 14-inch reversible griddle, and a five-quart Dutch oven. These, for the most part, are doable. However, if this is your first encounter with cast iron, start small. Buy a 10-inch or 12-inch skillet, take it home, season it, use it, get used to it. Then, when you find out how much you like cooking with cast iron, make your move; strap on your weight-lifter belt and go acquire your next piece or pieces.

Finally, as far as seasoning cast iron cookware is concerned, it's no big deal. In fact, you can find out how at www.cajunclark.com. As anyone who has ever had any experience with cast iron knows, if it's not seasoned properly, about the only thing it's good for is as a door stop, boat anchor, nut-cracker, or all three!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Copyright (c) 2003 by Cajun Clark. All rights reserved.
    Cajun Clark, under several pseudonyms, is a free-lance writer, who for 25 years has specialized in marketing, management, customer service, and a variety of other business and non- business topics. Caj has also written a monster best selling 659-page eCookbook, with 1,160+ recipes: http://www.cajunclarks.com You're welcome to try a sampling of his recipes at no charge as a token of appreciation: http://www.cajunclarks.com/selected_freebies.html Bon Appetit!
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have one cast iron skillet that my mom gave me and I absolute love it and use it all the time. Thanks for the article, Sara!
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a cast iron muffin pan and a small skillet just big enough for a sandwhich. I love them both!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I could not run my kitchen without my cast iron skillets. I even have a dutch oven now. These are seriously the best tools I have in my kitchen. They are worth their (heavy) weight in gold!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a bunch of cast iron and used to display some of it on my kitchen walls. 2dutch ovens, muffin and cornbread pans, many sizes of skillets,2 small griddles and one huge one that we make pizza on. Love cast iron. Sure wish I had a kitchen big enough to hang my collection. Maybe next house.