My November Challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 9

Well, a no spend day... And almost a no-drive day... We just went the short distance to my folk's house to use my dad's jack and tools...we (finally!!) changed the tires on our other car - saving ourselves the (at least!) $40 a shop would charge! It was 23* out while we were changing tires...no wind...so, not too chilly...

We used up the last of the potatoes we'd diced the other day... Made ourselves a "scramble" for lunch...potatoes, onions (yup, the "rescued" ones from the pantry), and eggs. Turned out good...topped with a little sprinkled cheese.

We didn't eat breakfast...just had tea... And we had cold cereal for supper (yes, the semi-expired stuff).

I'm on the last little trial size lotion. Always feels good to use free stuff! Oh, and we always have a big pump bottle of lotion out. I've found that a great way to get the last of it out is to turn it upside down (with the pump or lid off, obviously) in a shot glass - works perfect! So, I have the bottle that's been out a while "draining"...we'll be using up the 'leftovers' of that next.
    Kace - Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking Day 10

Is the month already 1/3 over?!?! I can't keep up!!!!
    Took my bio exam today...I think it went well.

We decided to dump the cereal that's been expired since July (4 boxes)...makes us both nervous and tastes like cardboard. Yuck! Believe it or not..my cereal stockpile is very small now!! Only 5 boxes!!! Eek! So, making progress on getting my pantry in order.

Today we drove straight to school, and home by way of Fred Meyer (grocery store). Got some groceries... I used my Fred Meyer rewards coupons!! I love those!!

Here's my grocery "report":

Got a freezer pizza (5.49, $2 off coupon) 3.49
    4 boxes Quaker cereal (reg. 4.79/box - yes, that's normal here) 2.50/bx. x 4 = 10.00
    12 pack of soda (for Dh) 3.00
    Half Gallon of OJ (was on clearance) 99 cents
    2 lbs carrots 3.49 & 2.5 lbs gala apples 3.71 - ($2 rewards coupon off $5 or more produce) $5.20
    2 loaves of bread on sale for 2.50 each - 5.00
    4 yogurts at .50 each - 2.00
    Total: $29.68 - rewards dollars coupons ($9 worth!!)
    TOTAL on groceries $20.68!!!! Woot!!

Total for month $91.00/$200.00

Also, I picked up some supplements we take for our joints...
    They're usually 29.99 per box of 60 tablets (I know, it's a lot, but it's worth not hurting and they actually work). They were marked on sale for $12.99! And I had $1 off each box coupons! So, instead of the usual 29.99 x 3 = 89.97.
    $12.99 x 3 = 38.97 - 3.00 (coupons) = $35.97!!! That's a savings of 54.00!!!! (See me doin' the happy dance?).

Other stuff --
    2 jump ropes for our Goddaughters ($1 each, had a $2 rewards toys coupon) FREE jumpropes!! (Will give them to 'em next time they come visit).

We've been needing toothbrushes here... They're usually spendy (no dollar stores up here)...but there was a sale at Fred Meyer! I picked up 4! They were only 79 cents each!!!

Dh has been needing a sweatshirt (he doesn't own even one). I have a couple of zip ups (what I wear the most around the house to keep warm), but they're both wearing out (had one for almost 8 years and the other almost 7). SOOOO.... They started at 36.00 each - but were on sale for 30% off. Then I had a 20% off coupon which took 5.04 off...and then had a second 20% off coupon that could be combined with the other, which took an additional 4.04 off...made them 16.12 each, brand new, high quality. (I'm sure that's a lot compared to the lower 48...but it's a GREAT price for up here!! I'm pumped!!).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You managed some great sales.

All I ever buy is food these days lol....

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It sounds like you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work and I enjoy hearing about your stockpile journey! Also, maybe you could complie a list of stuff that is near the expiration date (by day/week/month) and keep that close at hand to the pantry or wherever is more convient to you in the house? Just a thought.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE

Little steps to have a more organized and clutter-free life. [/QUOTE]

I try to do that too. I always have a sample sized body wash or shampoo or something in the bathroom. If they are going to let me try their brand for two days that is two days I don't have to use my products which saves me money. Of course, if I like their product, it is on sale, and I have a coupon, I may purchase it in the future.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by phoeny_moonstar View Post
    It sounds like you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work and I enjoy hearing about your stockpile journey! Also, maybe you could complie a list of stuff that is near the expiration date (by day/week/month) and keep that close at hand to the pantry or wherever is more convient to you in the house? Just a thought.
    That's a great idea! Thanks! It should help to know what to "throw together" for meals, too! Kinda, "focus" on what to use up.

Which reminds me...there's some TWG cream soup mix in the cupboard (yes, more stockpiled than the pantry! Eep!). I'd forgotten that was up there! (I have no clue why that connection was made??). hahahahaha

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 11

Drove to school and home... Had to swing by Walmart and pick up some skin care for me (Olay brand, so not too spendy). I'm almost out and ya don't wanna run out of lotion in this weather!! It's SO dry, we're going through lotion like crazy!! I even have the humidifier running and it's putting out about 2 to 2.5 gallons of water every 24 hours!! It snowed about 4 inches today...don't know how much, but looks like we'll get more through the night.

We took snacks to school with us...but got super hungry on the way home...so we each got one thing of the McD's value menu (1.60 x 2 = 3.20) so that was our lunch.

Going to make bean burritos for supper... Have all the ingredients here...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 13

Ran a few errands today... Went to the used bookstore and earned a bit of trade credit. Went to Walmart to get some more cold/flu medicine...I still have this stuffy/runny nose (though the rest of me is fine now!). I got a flu shot today...that was $15...but, after all the bugs I've been catching, I'll consider it money well spent! Dh is gonna get one tomorrow...

School was good... We spent $7 on lunch. Nice to "eat out" from time to time.

We had supper from the freezer...chicken nuggets, veggies...and I made some brown rice (yup, you guessed it...that needs to get used up, too...we bought a 12 lb bag of it a while ago).

Not much to report...I'm drowning in homework and just spent a couple hours playing FV arcade games!!! What was I thinking?!?! (Probably something like "de-stress" hehehe).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 13

Another school day... We also went to the student health center... I got a tetanus booster ($5) and so did Dh, along with the flu vaccine ($20)... So, that was $25. Hopefully, it'll help keep us healthy!

Took snacks to school...we're having tuna helper for supper, bulking it up with extra pasta (for leftovers later)...and throwing in the rest of the frozen broccoli.

I took out one lb of ground beef and 2 chicken breasts out of the freezer for meals over the weekend... It's really starting to get emptied in there!! I WILL learn to not be wasteful with our food!!!

We still have some frozen berries in the freezer so we're going to use some yogurt and those and have berry smoothies for dessert later!! Yum!! I think I'll run some over to my mom and dad.

And now...my great confession. Well, I didn't do it. Dh did. But, it was sweet. He booked us a trip to Vegas for winter break!! He surprised me with it. And as excited as I am to go (and escape the dark and cold, not to mention see the sights) spending the money kills me!! We have the cash for it...but still... Anyway, it was his call...and I'm going to just get all excited about it and try to not stress about the money, I know we have it covered.

Ok, so here goes...gettin' excited!! Woo-hoo! Vegas!!! We'll be there over Christmas and New Years... Any input for things not to miss during the holidays? I've never been there over a holiday...should be really neat!!

I'm already planning to pack instant oatmeal, tea (we're both tea 'addicts' ), and some other snacks. Also, planning to pick up a small pb, honey bear, and bread after we arrive (along with some plastic silverware)...and a couple flats of water bottles (we both drink between 3 & 4 Nalgene sized water bottles each day). Any other suggestions/ideas? I want to have fun, but hey...can't help but think in "frugal mode".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 14

No drive, no spend day... I've been keeping busy... It's so nice to not be sick!!

I ground some wheat and spelt, as I was almost out of flour. I made a double batch of cookies for my dad (I owed him...he did a favor for me a while back)...walked those over... He was happy. And I've got enough flour on hand to get me through the next 4 weeks we're home.

I did dishes, laundry, and homework (still doing homework...taking a break to post, though). Today/tonight is biology homework...a change from the continuous math I've been doing. Both are good...but, I prefer math to bio.

Ok...food today. Breakfast was oatmeal with raisins... I opened a thing of quick oats that expired last year. I know unprocessed grains do fine if they're kept cool and that was, so...just gonna use it. Also, used that for the cookies I made...it's already half gone!

We had the last of the defrosted chicken for lunch. The last of one of the big bags of (very freezer-burned, but still edible) frozen mixed veggies with it...and some brown rice.

Supper will be a smorgasbord of leftovers... In the fridge there's leftover refried beans (enough for one burrito), leftover tuna helper, and leftover rice and veggies from lunch. So, we're gonna have that 'interesting' mix for supper. Hey, it'll make a 'dent' in the fridge.

We'll make meatloaf tomorrow and that will do for a few more meals this weekend.

My challenge has shifted a bit from just working on using up things that are expired or near to it...to using up what I *KNOW* will go bad before we'll get back from Vegas! Which means everything that's left in the freezer except the stockpile of frozen butter sticks; and out of the fridge: tortillas, cheese slices, shredded cheese, sour cream, apples, carrots, and a host of other things.

I took about 15 minutes today and started a bit of the packing (yeah, I always start early...we leave 4 weeks from tomorrow...but, the last 2 will be CRAZY busy with holidays and finals). I "baggied" up a bunch of instant oatmeal packets (yes, those need to be used up, too); about 40 Lipton black tea bags and about 20 green tea bags (packed separately). So, a little start there...

The last of the lotion samples are used up, as well as the "turned upside down" big bottle of lotion. Scraped every last bit out! Other than that, I've been using my tea bags about 3 times each. So, that's my frugal report for today...

Oh...the "turkey deals" are going to start to come out on Sunday... Somebody please help me NOT to go buy a ton of groceries to get a free turkey when we don't need any of it!!! I'm already feeling the "bargain hunting pull" of it!!!
    Last edited by Luv2BeFrugal; 11-15-2008 at 01:10 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking Day 15

Did good today!

We ended up not eating the leftovers last night - we both had a mega sweet-tooth. So we made french toast...

Today we divided up the leftovers and had 'em for lunch. We'll eat from the pantry for supper and just do the meatloaf tomorrow.

Dh went by Costco on the way home and got eggs (cheapest there) and some veggies (his choice! gasp!). Another $9 on groceries.

Groceries this month: $100/$200 - still doin' good!

I'm so excited about what I got done today!!!! I pulled out ALL of the gifts (bday and Christmas) that I've been piling up this year... (My mom's, dad's, and Dh's bdays are all late Nov...and MIL is early Dec!!!). I got ALL the presents wrapped and am officially DONE holiday shopping!!!! And DONE wrapping!!! I took my mom and dad's bday presents to their house. Gave Dh his. (Since we're doing Christmas on Thanksgiving because we'll be out of town - Dh, me, mom, and dad) I decided to give them bday gifts early so they don't get it all at once...more fun that way. I'm so excited to have that HUGE "monkey" off my back!! Done, done, done!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 16

No drive and no spend day. Those are always good!

Dh didn't want breakfast, so just had tea... I had chocolate milk.

We used the lb of beef I defrosted the other day...browned it...used half with a box of mac'n'cheese (yum!) and will use the other half with a can of refried beans for burritos tonight. Which will help to use up the tortillas and grated cheese we have.

Just doing some general housework today... Used candles for light for several hours (this is our dark time of year up here).

Fairly slow day...which is great because we haven't been having those very often any more!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Days 17 & 18

Not a whole lot going on here...just school, school, and more school.

Been eating out of the freezer for the most part...we just had beans and corn for supper...with cheese on top! Yum!! (One of my fav frugal meals). At this pace we should have the freezer emptied before heading south...

We'll need to pick up bread and one thing of sour cream soon... That's all the groceries we're needin'.

I'm planning on taking a pic of the pantry and inside of freezer at the end of the month so you guys can see the progress we've made... Thanks for keepin' me accountable!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great progress! Love reading your thread

Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2BeFrugal View Post

I'm already planning to pack instant oatmeal, tea (we're both tea 'addicts' ), and some other snacks. Also, planning to pick up a small pb, honey bear, and bread after we arrive (along with some plastic silverware)...and a couple flats of water bottles (we both drink between 3 & 4 Nalgene sized water bottles each day). Any other suggestions/ideas? I want to have fun, but hey...can't help but think in "frugal mode".
    What about making some homemade chexmix or trail mix for the plane ride?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast