My November Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

something else I like when traveling is juice boxes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by phoeny_moonstar View Post
    What about making some homemade chexmix or trail mix for the plane ride?
    Great idea! I was just thinking pb sandwiches or something?? A mix would be more special. Maybe something with nuts in it?? That would be good for my hypoglycemia... (You've got my brain chuggin').

Quote Originally Posted by DonnainME View Post
    something else I like when traveling is juice boxes.
    Another good idea! And the hotel will have ice if we wanted it chilled with a muffin or fruit in the hotel room for breakfast. (My shopping list is growing! And hopefully the trip food budget is going down! ).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picked up a few groceries today...

One 10 lb bag of potatoes - $3.98
    2 loaves of bread $2/each - $4.00
    One container of sour cream - $1.93
    Syrup - $2.79
    Total: $12.70 (rounding to $13)

Groceries this month: $113/$200 - still goin' good!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Went to school again today...made pb sandwiches and baggied carrot sticks...again. Took water to drink...

Had a good day!! Always nice! Only 3 more classes left!!

Talked to my mom and we all agreed we'd just go out to eat for Thanksgiving... It's $10-$13 each at a restaurant nearby (my parent's fav)...which is less than a turkey and all the trimmings would be (and NO work and mess!!). No leftovers is the only bad part...but we leave just a couple weeks later...no biggie...

I'm gettin' super excited about Vegas... We decided what days we would rent a car...chose 4 days (one at a time). One of them we want to go to Hoover Dam... I talked to Dh about a few other options... Can't believe time is passing so quickly!!!! Whew!!
    Kace - Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 20

I am flat-out exhausted...the study-load just seems to be getting ever-heavier!! Are we there yet?!

The kitchen was a mess and we were both tired and hungry and wanted to get take out...almost did... But, we didn't. We came home and Dh made cheese & chicken quesadillas (using up that BIG bag of grated cheese and a bunch of tortillas)...while I did the dishes. Clean kitchen, more food used up before we head south. (Pats self on back).

We're going to make cinnamon & sugar tortillas later for dessert. Yum!

So, survived another week of school...have uber-homework to do this weekend. I'm taking a "whole" 2 hour break, parked on the couch. Then I get to do some biology and math homework...

We ordered some of our text books for next semester online...a box containing a couple of them arrived today (cheaper than getting them at the college book store...even with shipping! ).

That's it here...just trying to stay warm... It was a whopping 11* on the way home...supposed to be down to zero tonight.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 21

Dh went to his old work today (where he'll work this coming summer, again). They needed him for a special project...so, he got in 6 hours of work in! And he'll go in for about that much next week, too. Extra $ is always good! He took food with him...so, it wasn't a no-drive day, but was a no-spend day.

I got some homework done today...and a TON of cleaning. I moved things a bit (and vacuumed as I went) so that I can have our 3 suitcases set out until it's time to go...should make packing easier!! I did some laundry, changed/washed the sheets, changed 2 light bulbs that went out, took care of messy paperwork, straightened up Dh's desk area (always a haz-mat area!!). Lookin' good around here!!

Also, when I got up this morning I put on a crock pot of split pea soup... The dried split peas were from my mom (still have some left), had potatoes in the pantry, and my parents also gave us 6 big jars of canned carrots from their garden...so one of those went in. I added some frozen peas (freezer-burned, but still edible). So...got stuff from cupboard, pantry, and freezer used up! Should last us most of the weekend, too...which will leave me free to do school work!! Which is what I should be doing now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 22

No spend day...Dh drove to school and back...

I put the crock of split pea soup back on...we had that for lunch...and I took some over to my parents (walking). They got a big bulk pack of graham crackers at Costco and they gave me some!

I got mega homework done today!! Woot! I also did laundry, set up our vitamins (I baggie up a multi-vitamin, coral calcium, and a joint supplement for each day) for the remaining 3 weeks before our trip, the almost 4 weeks there (that's already in a big baggie in the suitcase) and then 2 weeks worth for when we get back. Whew! That was a lot of work! But, that's one step closer to having things set up, packing wise...

So, I'm up to speed on my daily check-list of homework, housework, and trip-prep.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default P.S.

We've got nearly all the boxes of cereal that were sitting on top of the refrigerator (opened) used up! And, slowly but surely, the freezer is getting more 'empty'... Even the pantry is looking less "piled higher and deeper".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 23

Well, had a no-drive & no-spend day...gotta like those!

We had cereal for breakfast...I finished off another box of "quickly-going-stale" cereal.

I put the crock pot back on again this morning...I added some pinto beans I'd already cooked and stuck in the freezer...yup, one more thing out of the freezer!

Had soup for lunch and supper...and there's enough leftover for another meal... I'll put the rest in a pot in the fridge for a quick meal this week.

I got more packing done...and homework...progress!

This school week is only Monday & Tuesday (rest of the week is closed for Thanksgiving). Dh doesn't have classes tomorrow, so he's going to drop me at school and go to work for a few hours.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 24

I am beyond ready for this semester to be OVER. I am SO worn out, burnt out, and just plain sick of studying!! My neck and shoulders hurt from looking down at a book for hours on end every day!!! ARGH!!! But, yes...I'm glad I have the opportunity to go to school...and nice teachers help, too. Ok, vent over (for now ).

Dh had oatmeal and I had cereal for breakfast. We made bean burritos for lunch (pantry mostly...used up some of those tortillas that NEED to be used up!...and cheese...). We are both "souped out" (ie. sick of split pea soup) so had the burritos instead...we'll finish the soup off tomorrow. We had cereal again for supper (I know...fancy...we're both so worn out we don't even want to think about cooking --- which reminds me...we both wanted to get take out on the way home...and we didn't!! I know, you're all impressed. hehehehe).

By the way - the GIANT bag of apple dapples (store brand apple jacks) is now DONE!!!! WOOT!!! Our fridge top...is now NOT piled HIGH!!! (Does happy dance). There's one box of open cereal, one box of open cream of wheat, and one container (not two!!) of opened oatmeal....and the bread basket. WOW! (Ok, it's kinda creepin' me out...it looks really bare there!).

I took the LAST (yes, finally, the last!!) bag of frozen lunch meat out of the freezer..we'll have sandwiches thru the week when we don't have time (or energy...which is often) to cook.

I organized the 'tea section' of the pantry...now instead of piles all jumbled, the tea is stacked by type! I showed Dh and he said, "wow, now we won't buy more of one kind, thinking we were out!". (Yes, this has happened several times...but, not anymore!).

So, the focus for the rest of the time pre-trip is to use up the tortillas, lb of ground beef in freezer, lunch meat in fridge, cheese (shredded and sliced) in fridge, about 8? apples in crisper, 1/2 bag of carrots, bag of frozen pinto beans, and there's still a variety of frozen veggies in the fridge (two kinds of mixed, and peas, and corn).

I'm guesstimating that before leaving we'll need 1-2 more loaves of bread before going (we do a lot of sandwiches and toast) and 1 sour cream, but there shouldn't be much else... Aside from the bag of salad and bottle of sparkling cider we're supposed to take to Dh's mom's house on Friday (our Thanksgiving & Christmas with her).

Today was a drive day...but, was a no-spend day. We dropped 4 bags of stuff by the second hand store (so, there's that much less clutter around the house). Also, Dh took books to the used book store and we went from 3 bags down to one bag...earned a good amount of credit!

Ok...that's about it for today...I'm off to mix milk again. We have one opened box and one sealed box left of powdered milk. We're planning to write the expiration date on the side of the sealed box...and leave it for emergencies. We'll finish off the one that's opened and then go back to buying milk in jugs.
    Last edited by Luv2BeFrugal; 11-25-2008 at 03:59 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WOW you're doing great.

I need to start challenging myself more too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Luv2BeFrugal, I thought of you today as I snacked. I had a pack of 100 calorie cookies that expired in Feb. 2008 and a pack of cheese crackers that expired in May 2008. Maybe it is time I take up your challenge. The saddest thing is I bought more cheese crackers! How Bad! I wonder how much money I thow out by letting food go bad.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by qsaver704 View Post
    Luv2BeFrugal, I thought of you today as I snacked. I had a pack of 100 calorie cookies that expired in Feb. 2008 and a pack of cheese crackers that expired in May 2008. Maybe it is time I take up your challenge. The saddest thing is I bought more cheese crackers! How Bad! I wonder how much money I thow out by letting food go bad.
    Oh good!! I'm not alone!!!! We can give up our "food expiring" ways together!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Many things are still good after the exp date. I have used things like Hamburger Helper and it still tastes fine. I try to use up before the exp date most of the time though to.

The worst is to lose meat. Like you didn't pay attention and it gets lost in the back of the fridge. That ticks me off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by DonnainME View Post
    Many things are still good after the exp date. I have used things like Hamburger Helper and it still tastes fine. I try to use up before the exp date most of the time though to.

The worst is to lose meat. Like you didn't pay attention and it gets lost in the back of the fridge. That ticks me off.
    Yeah, we often use expired things (crackers, pasta, etc.)... I won't use expired condiments, meat, or diary...seems too risky.

I agree...makes me so upset when expensive foods, like meat, go wasted!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 25

Well, I stayed home from school today... I am having REALLY bad fatigue and am constantly dehydrated...also, getting aches and pains in my legs. Looked it up online...stress... GRRRR... So, I did my studying here...in comfy clothes, with a cup of tea.

Dh went to school...on his way he filled up the car with gas (we'll need to fill the other one on Friday). He went by Walmart and got lightbulbs, decongestant, and one pack of printer paper. Odd combo, but that's what we needed. He didn't pick up any "extras"!!! (I'm so proud!).

So, food today... Had toast and a yogurt for breakfast. I had leftover bean burrito 'goop' (as we call it) for lunch with some tortilla chips (which is yet another thing that needs to be used up before we leave...just the one bag). Had an apple for snack. Dh had instant oatmeal for breakfast (that pile is noticeably shrinking!)...and I made him a lunch meat sandwich (it's defrosted now) for lunch. We're having the last of the split pea soup for supper.

And on that note...I pulled the mayo out to make his sandwich and -- GROSS. It had gone bad. Which made me check the rest of the condiments. I threw away like 6 or 7 bottles. When will this end?! At least we don't have a ton of them in the pantry... I went ahead and put the condiments in the pantry into the fridge (after checking dates).

I did some cleaning today inbetween studying...not a whole lot, though...just dishes and a couple loads of laundry. I think what I'm noticing most from this process of "using things up" and taking things to the second hand store, etc...is that the 'less' there is around here the better the place feels... Does that make any sense? I felt like we didn't have much in the way of "stuff" before (and in comparison to most people, we don't)...but I just feel so much "lighter" with less stuff around. .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 26

No drive and no spend day today!! I like those!!

We had eggs and toast for breakfast (good...usin' up eggs). Had grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch (yup, still usin' those cheese slices up). And had (ok, this is goofy, but we like it)...mashed potatoes with corn (freezer) and cheese on top. So, used up some more of the stuff that needs usin'.

Talked with my mom... We were all going to go out to eat for Thanksgiving, but it ended up that it would be about $15 EACH! Ouch! So, we're gonna pull together an informal supper at home... My mom got a turkey free for spending $150 at the grocery store. So, she's going to make that. I have potatoes (for mashed taters), and frozen corn (yea, using that, too!), and some brown gravy mix. She said she picked up some pie, so we can have that, too. MUCH cheaper!!! Just kitchen work I didn't want to do. But, it saves us like $30...so I guess it's worth it.

Still need to get a few groceries that we're needing...and the salad and sparkling cider for Friday at MIL's. We'll pick that stuff up on the way there...and need gas, too.

Still spending much of my time doing homework... I'll sure be glad when this semester is OVER!!! Not too much longer!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast