My November Challenge - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, what a pantry! I know it's abt the end of the month. But what a great challenge! I kind of did that this week, but come next month, I think I will focus on it a bit more. =)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 27

Happy Turkey Day, FV'ers!!

Well, we were well behaved today... I'm still wiped out and burnt out...but, we pulled out the bag of potatoes, despite exhaustion (man, those instant tater's looked tempting to use!). Dh washed potatoes and I cut... We boiled a bunch of 'em for mashed taters (turned out yummy!) and I cut up the rest into little chunks for fried potatoes and eggs sometime soon (they're in a bowl in water in the fridge). Good thing we did that...they were already going bad!! Good grief, I don't think I've had that bag 2 weeks!!! There's enough of the mashed leftover for us to work into another meal, too. We made corn and that used up the last of one bag and opened the last bag. Freezer is starting to look empty!!

The bad news (well, at least, annoying) is that our little digital camera died!!! ARGH!! We leave for Vegas two weeks from Saturday!! So, now we're gonna have to take the big one...it's nice, don't get me wrong...but, it's bulky and has too many different functions, so I can never seem to work it right. GRRR.

Oh...forgot to say...yesterday in the mail we got our $50 Visa gift card from our CC's rewards points program. Woot!! Gotta love 'free' money (and I use that term loosely). (As my dad would say, "better than a kick in the head").

We did our Thanksgiving/Christmas with my parents today (Dh's tomorrow). So, we had our stockings and presents. "Santa" brought me some school supplies I've been needing, so will save some $ there...also some stamps, stationary, and stickers for my penpaling hobby! Gotta love when your hobby ends up bein' "free" for a while, right?
    Kace - Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 28

Well, we had a nice day today...relatively schoolwork-free! Nice for a change, but now we'll have to really kick-tush on it this weekend. We went to MIL's for Thanksgiving-Christmas. She surprised us with tickets to Cirque Du Soliel for our trip to Vegas!!!! She also sent us home with leftovers...yum!

We swung by the used book store on the way and I got a couple books to read on the trip...used store credit. We also picked up a few groceries (bread, yogurt, sour cream) and the salad and sparkling cider for at MIL's. ($22 total).

On the way home (nearly midnight) we swung by McD's...it's an hour and a half drive and we were gettin' hungry.... $4.82...rounding to $5).

Total food this month so far: $140/$200 (Dang, we're doin' good!! Woot!). (Rolling any extra into our Vegas food budget ).

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kace, I have just read all 4 pages and I think you did great for using up the pantry stockpile. Well done on coming in front with the grocery shopping too.

I bet the after photos of the pantry will look amazing, I can't wait to see the after photos.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 29

IT'S DUMPING SNOW ON US!!!!! ARGH!!! Guess what I get to do tomorrow when it finally STOPS?!

Ok...so, no drive, no spend day...those rock! We had leftover mashed taters made into potato patties along with friend eggs for breakfast. Lunch was ALL leftovers... And supper was the lb. of ground beef I defrosted...we made "cheesy mac"...yum! We had cereal for a snack (which polished off yet another stale box of cereal - woot!).

Other than that...about 7 hours of homework. My first final is this coming Saturday...the last is wrapped up a week from Wednesday...anybody got any "good vibes" to send me? I think I need them!!!! Erf!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking Day 30

Another no drive, no spend day! Woot! Dh did the snow shoveling so that's all taken care of... Supposed to be down around zero tonight (yuck!).

For breakfast we polished off the last of the remaining box of cream of wheat. We used up those potatoes from the pantry that we diced and put in the fridge the other day. Threw 'em in with the last few onions...then fried up the last of the eggs and that was lunch.

Supper was a berry smoothie...yum! Used the last of the frozen (freezer burned) mixed berries, the last 3 yogurts, and the last few spoons of a jar of jam we had in the fridge for a sweetener. (Yes, this made a ton...took half over to my parents and they loved it!).

Things are lookin' mighty empty in there! But, at least things won't be going to waste anymore! That was a challenge to get me shifted into gear right there!!! Our grocery budget was well under the $200 limit we set for ourselves for this month ($140!!). So, I'm pumped about that!!

Before we leave on the 13th we still have frozen veggies left in the freezer to polish off, a baggie of beans, along with some cheese slices (under one pack), 2.5 packs of whole wheat tortillas (we're gonna fry a bunch and put cinnamon and sugar on 'em...yum!), a thing of sour cream, about 7 apples, and still have that half-bag of carrots. Not bad a'tall!

Well, this concludes another challenge for me! It went well! My freezer looks fairly empty, and the pantry is greatly reduced and neatly organized. I'm gonna keep focusing on "no more waste"! I'm hoping to do another challenge starting in February...we have loads of beans left...so I'm thinking something along those lines???

As promised, I'll put pics up here so you all can see how it's changed.

Thanks again for keeping me 'on task'!! It is such a major motivator to be held accountable!!! Hugs to my Frugal Family!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Promised Pictures

Ok, here are the pics I promised... I can sure see a change...hope you can, too!

The pantry pics 'explain themselves'...though, in the process of all this, my parents gave us the jars of canned carrots at the back bottom shelf area, and a box of graham crackers...so, some has been added in the "clear it out" process.

I wish I had taken a pic of the top of the fridge before we started. It looks eerily bare now!!! There *was* 2-3 loaves of bread in the bread basket at all times, cream of wheat, 2 things of gatorade mix, 2 open oatmeals, big bag cereal (1 or 2 at a time) and 3-5 boxes of open cereal always!! Yeah, piled high??? Look now!! can you believe it?!?! Woot!!

I didn't photo the door of the fridge as it's just condiments (with the dates checked!!). And there isn't anything left in the freezer door...

In the freezer...left to right...there's a bag of frozen beans, corn, peas, broccoli/cauliflower mix...the blue "boxes" are butter.

Fridge...left to use...
    Top shelf - 1/2 bag of carrots, grated cheese, one sour cream. (The rest is water bottles and pitcher).
    Middle shelf - pb & j (garlic is hiding behind...it's new); remaining cheese slices; leftover lunch meat, ham, and a turkey leg.
    Bottom shelf - 2.5 packs of whole wheat tortillas; 3 glass jars of mixed powdered milk (we're almost done using up the box...should finish off about the time we leave); 7 apples.
    (Nothing in the meat drawer/crisper...pulled things out so all is visible).

Well, hopefully you all can tell a difference... This has taught me not to stock up so much! Stockpiles are great...but they have to be gauged to the number of people!!

I'm sure you can tell there's still a LOT left in the pantry (more than we really "need")... Well over 100 lbs of beans, 2 large boxes of oats, probably 30-ish packs of ramen, and about 100 lbs of grain (to grind for flour).

Yup..."bean challenge" coming February '09??? I KNOW I'll be spending May - August baking all our bread and other baked goods... That all needs to be put to good use! Once we're out of cereal I'll start making granola again to use up some of those oats.

And through all of this I've been working on not buying any more health & beauty supplies until I open the *last* of something. Another huge challenge for me! (Smacks back of hand). This is going pretty good, but not 100% great...I think it'll need to be incorporated into a "challenge" to take full effect. (I mean, does anyone need almost 2 years of bar soap on hand? ).

Planning to skip grocery shopping almost entirely the next two weeks before heading south... *May* need eggs as we have none...and possibly a small amount of cheese? That should be it, though.

Live and learn!!

Thanks again!!
    Last edited by Luv2BeFrugal; 12-01-2008 at 06:04 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234