My November Challenge
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My November Challenge

Last month's challenge was to use up/clean out the freezer (which was full of things already freezer-burned - or quickly going that way)... Well, there was enough stocked in there that we still have some "freezer work" yet to go, but we did get through about 75% of it. We ended up finishing the month with a $325 'surplus' from what our usual budget/spending is...I'm pleased with the results from last month...so, am going to "challenge myself" again this month...hopefully you all will bear with me.

This month's challenge is to eat from our pantry rather than buying loads of groceries. We've stocked and stocked for so long that I'm embarrassed to say that quite a few things have gone stale...and quite a bit more is not far behind that.
    (I posted stockpile pics in my last thread, but will go ahead and put them here so it shows what I'm "up against"...remember, it's just Dh and me eating out of this stockpile).

What's going to be really hard for me is to not do my usual mega-stockpiling when the Thanksgiving sales come out. I *know* that we don't need to do that, though! (Please help me on this one...it's sooooo super-tempting for me!!)

Dh did pick up some groceries today...a pizza (to feed him while I'm sick), canned chicken noodle soup for me (we didn't have any), a two-pack of raisins (for later baking), a bag of his fav frozen veggies (hey, if he'll eat veggies I'm all for it ), a box of Emergen-C (to get some vitamins in me and help with hydration). That was $60. So, that's where we start. $60/$200 (Doing a bit higher this month as we'll have some holiday food expenditures...Thanksgiving with my parents and eating at a restaurant with Dh's parents).

And away we go!!
    Last edited by Luv2BeFrugal; 11-02-2008 at 02:21 AM.
    Kace - Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 2

Well, I feel a little better...still weak...still have this darn bug!!

Dh had leftover pizza today...I ate some leftover beans. Had a slice of toast with pb (we have quite a bit of pb in the pantry!). We had oatmeal for breakfast (there are many pounds of oatmeal to be used up!). So...the pantry got the teeniest of 'dents' started.

No drive and no spend day...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Looks like you do have a wonderful stockpile to eat through!!!! With the two bottomless pits I have I can't even imagine what it would be like to have anything long enough to go bad

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 3

Well, today most of our meals were from the freezer...with a teeny bit from the pantry. Dh stopped at the grocery store on the way home for some Vick's vapo rub for me (store brand) and some Gatorade powder mix (cheaper than the bottles..and puts a lot less garbage in the landfill) so I don't get further dehydrated... Still have this stupid flu...am starting to get better...

Lit candles today for some light (it's dark by 5pm now). Didn't do much else...just trying to get well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 4

Feeling a bit better today...FINALLY! Hopefully will be 100% soon!

Well, I pulled 2 packs of lunch meat out of the freezer (1 still remaining). So, we'll have sandwiches the next few days.

Continued using up things that are on the way to bad... We didn't really eat much for breakfast...just a carnation instant breakfast shake (the dry mix packets). Those actually go bad after sitting around a few months! I thought they'd last longer?? Like 6 - 9 months???

I had a can of soup for lunch...added a few frozen (freezer burned) veggies to bulk it up (I'm actually feeling hungry again!). Had some store brand ritz crackers (stale, but edible) and a slice of cheese with it. I had stocked up on the cheese slices packs when they were on sale because we were eating them really often...and then we stopped?? I have no clue why? But they NEED to be eaten up before the end of the month (there are 2.5 packs in the fridge).

We made grilled cheese (yup, usin' those slices up!) for supper...yum! Animal crackers for snack. Dh had some soda (store brand - great deal) and I had some Gatorade (dry mix kind)...

So, made a little progress today... I feel awful for stocking so much and not getting through it fast enough. Guess this will keep grocery bills down for a while at this rate! Writing all this out is such an eye opener!!

No spend day. (We're gettin' better at these!!).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sometimes it can be fun to see what meals you can come up with when you are shopping out of your pantry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by kittykatstrong View Post
    Sometimes it can be fun to see what meals you can come up with when you are shopping out of your pantry.
    For sure! I really do want to get it down to the "2 month" range of stockpile (tired of things spoiling!). It'll be really interesting when it gets lower! And for now we're trying to use things that are either stale, nearly stale, nearly expired, or freezer-burned. So, it's a "semi-limited" selection, despite the large stockpile.

In May, when the school year is over, I plan to going back to baking all our bread, muffins, corn bread, etc. That'll use up a LOT of our grains (we really don't need several years of it on hand with just the two of us...I'm just a compulsive stockpiler!).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 5

We had a frugal breakfast here (eggs & toast). We took snacks to school...and water bottles. Had spaghetti noodles and sauce and some chicken (all pantry!) for supper. Another no spend day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Amazing stockpile! You won't have any wolves at the door for quite some time

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 6

Dh had instant oatmeal (there's tons!) for breakfast and I had cereal. I found two boxes of cereal in the pantry that expire in 9 days!!! Good grief!! I WILL get my act together and watch dates more closely!!!! ERF. When all the boxed cold cereal is used up I intend to make some granola from the MANY pounds of oats we have in the pantry.

Dh is at the college today having snacks he brought from home. I ate the leftovers from supper yesterday for lunch today... Ate an apple for snack (the last one in the fridge) that was starting to go bad...just cut off the bad spots and enjoyed the rest.

Tonight for supper...lunch meat sandwiches!! (I know, it's oh-so fancy). hehe But, it starts to use the lunch meat I defrosted the other day, and the cheese slices that need to be used up...and it means relatively few dishes. All good things. We still have some carrot sticks left in the fridge, so I'll probably throw some of those on our plates, too.

We'll do small bowls of cereal later for a bedtime snack. I don't want any of it to go bad!!

I mixed milk this afternoon (we're down to 2.5 boxes left in the pantry). So, that's chilling in the fridge. Baby steps!

Today is not a no-spend day...Dh is swinging by Walmart on the way home (with a list!!). No food expenditures...we need tissues for my still unhappy nose and some plain t-shirts for him (he's lookin' like a ragamuffin these days!). Shouldn't cost too much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgot to add... I pulled out the rest of my little trial/travel size lotions I've accumulated around here (total of 4). Am going to use those exclusively over the next few days - free lotion and it helps de-clutter a bit. Used the first one up today.

Little steps to have a more organized and clutter-free life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 7

Last night Dh was rummaging through the pantry. I'd forgotten I had a half bag of potatoes back there. Oops. Well, some were spoiled. We washed the rest and cut them up and stuck 'em in water in the fridge... They'll be a meal tomorrow with some eggs.

Dh ate the cereal (that will expire soon) for breakfast... I packed him a lunch - sandwich (deli meat from freezer) with cheese slices and some of the carrot sticks, too. And a baggie of the store brand ritz crackers for a snack (the ones I've been eatin' on that are about to be too stale to eat). I had the same lunch here... Eatin' frugal and using up that food before it spoils tonight, too!

Probably have one more day from those little trial lotions...this dry winter weather just sucks the moisture right out of ya! I'm going to save 3 of the 4 containers as they are hard plastic and I can refill them with lotion for my purse or backpack... Will just tuck them away in the bathroom once they're washed and dried. That'll keep me from buying the small ones at Wallyworld for my school bag.

I got a TON of cleaning done today!! I'm feeling so much better! Just have a little of a stuffy/runny nose left from all that sickness!! Spending tonight working on catching up on my studies... Have a HUGE bio exam on Monday...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmac62 View Post
    Amazing stockpile! You won't have any wolves at the door for quite some time
    Hehehehe... Nope, no wolves at the door for a while!

Although, I hope frugal people don't come pound on my door for letting food get freezer-burned or past expiration dates!! (Quick - hide!! ). hehehe

We'd been doing so well for so long (at least I'd thought so!) at not wasting. Hopefully we'll get the stockpile down to a more suitable level for just the two of us...and then maintain it from there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you're feeling better...Can't wait to hear more of the "Rush to Beat the Expiration Date Challenge" (my Love has the same affliction...When I moved in with him, I found canned items that had expired in 2001. Really. And he asked, "but if they've not bee opened, they're still good...Right?" Thankfully, I can now add that we will be saving on his medical bills, as I will not have to rush him to Hospital for treatment of botulism.

Take care, and keep pressing on!

Anna
    Last edited by AuntSissy; 11-07-2008 at 10:01 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 8

Productive day today... Got more housework done...and bunches of studies. Dh picked up a few groceries on the way home from school (apples, etc.). Came to just under $10. I'm just going to round up for easy math and call it $10.

Groceries this month $70/$200

We fried up the potatoes we diced and had a yummy meal of those and some eggs... There were more potatoes than we thought there (too many to eat in one meal) so there's still some in the bowl in the fridge... While those were cooking Dh diced up the last couple onions that were in the pantry...now those are "ready and waiting" for a meal.

We made grilled meat (from the freezer lunch meat) and cheese (yup, the ones needing to be eaten up!) sandwiches for supper. Turned out real yummy! I chopped up some of the carrots from the fridge and we had cooked carrots along side the sandwiches...kinda a weird mix, but hey, it got the job done. There should be about one more meal of lunch meat...

We had cereal for snack (yes, the old stuff). And now...I must confess. Upon further "searching" of the pantry (ducks head in shame)...there are FOUR more boxes of cereal that have expired. These expired July of this year. Is it okay to eat? When all of this is gotten through I'm not going to keep hardly anything around!!! I keep missing things!!!! Frustrates me!!!
    (Ok...I know I'll still keep things...but, I need a SYSTEM to not let them go bad!!! I'm thinking black sharpie marker and dates clearly put on things???).

I know not to use pancake mix that has expired...but, is there anything else that's a big "no-no" to eat after an expiration date?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast