A Q for those who are doing the $25 a week food challenge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default A Q for those who are doing the $25 a week food challenge

To read the posts in that blog, people were starving.
    I see people here buying fresh pineapple, cool whip, soda, lunchables,chips ect. From the way people on that blog talked, they were starving and ate beans and rice every day.
    It's only been 1/2 a month but have you found this a hard thing to do?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We do have a bit of an advantage having our pantries. But even so, I normally spend $25 a week, so feeling deprived is hard to believe. I've gotten it even lower now that I'm doing the challenge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's SO not hard! I have a large stockpile, but I've added to it with only spending a MAXIMUM of $25 a week. I find every deal I can, that way I can afford to get the more expensive "luxuries" like fresh produce.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is amazingly easy. last week i was $18 some odd dollars for 2 adults. I was trying to do the challenge of $25 for 2 adults a week. So far so good.

When I read that blog all I could think is "you big babies!!!" how can they be starving..? i don't understand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

$20 a week is what I spend per person. We eat a pretty decent and varied diet. I also have three pubescent boys who eat like horses. This month I blew the budget and it is closer to $25, but I stocked up on some stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

$25 per person per week is A LOT of food. I just think the blog participants 1) made it too complicated 2) weren't very creative and 3) probably are the people we read about who spend $1500 a month to feed a family of three

I'm not finding it difficult at all. For a family my size, that would be $600 a month for JUST food. I don't normally spend that much for food AND non-food purchases.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't find it difficult at all. I do have a large stockpile, but I built up that stockpile on the same $400/month budget that I have with the challenge, and my budget includes much more than just food items. Even if I had started with absolutely no stockpile, I think I could have stuck to the given amount and built up a small stockpile as well. It all comes down to looking for the best deals, and not just grabbing something because it's "what looks good" or "what you want", you know?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think the biggest problem with the people on the blog that were doing the challenge is that they were the only person in the household doing the challenge, they weren't using anything that was available in the house before the challenge, and they weren't accustomed to cooking from scratch. Also, they were only doing it for one week.

The people on these forums are much better at stretching their dollars and our challenge was set up more like actually being on welfare -- you get your full monthly amount on the 1st, it's for everyone in the household, and obviously you can use whatever you currently have in your house. It's much easier to have a well-rounded, healthy and tasty diet if you know what you're doing, don't have to repurchase basic ingredients you already have on hand, and don't have a taste for fruit rollups or other processed foods. Also, if your weekly foods total $25.01, you don't have to worry about putting something back and depriving yourself since you have the whole month's allotment to spend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's been easy here. I have managed to put some toward a stockpile, and the $25 per person in groceries has also included health and beauty stuff, dog food and tissues, not to mention regular otc meds. It just takes some planning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ahmom View Post
    To read the posts in that blog, people were starving.
    I see people here buying fresh pineapple, cool whip, soda, lunchables,chips ect. From the way people on that blog talked, they were starving and ate beans and rice every day.
    It's only been 1/2 a month but have you found this a hard thing to do?
    Could you please provide a link to the blog that you are talking about? I'd be very interested in reading it. Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, thanks a lot. I'm going to check it out soon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the replies.
    Now that Nov is almost over, what have you learned that you didn't know before?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I found out OAMC and mealplanning is what works best for me. I live alone and had waste issues cooking for one person. I'd need one zucchini for a recipe but could only get a package of 3. I couldn't buy in larger quantities to get the smaller prices either.

Now I cook twice a week and package everything in single servings. Packing lunch is as easy as grabbing something out of the freezer, and making dinner is just reheating it and serving a veggie. If being frugal is that easy, I don't have an excuse not to be!

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think it probably gets easier the more people you have. I can't imagine one person having to survive on $25 a week, but $125 for 5 is not really difficult. I didn't join the challenge because it is actually higher than my regular budget (although I am over this month due to a giant meat stockup).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast