Operation Freezer dump!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Operation Freezer dump!

In 2 weeks I'll be receiving 200lbs of beef for the freezer!

As it is every time I do this, I have NO idea how much space it'll take.

So it's time to work on the freezer. Its looking bare(to me) but in reality there is still lots in there. Today I took out chicken, and popped it into the crockpot. Sweet and sour chicken tonight. Tomorrow, I'm digging out the turkey and putting it in the fridge in the garage, and we'll be having turkey supper in a couple days. (it was a free one, if we bought $150 groceries, free turkey). Left overs will be turned into a variety of things. It's not a huge one, so that's good.

It's supposed to be cool and cloudy over the next few days, so the frozen apples I have will be cooked down and turned into apple sauce. That'll free up a bunch of space. Same with rhubarb, turn it into stewed rhubarb(just in time for the new rhubarb to sprout..lol). I don't think I'll have much apples this year, we just did a brutal pruning of the tree, it was very lopsided. The neighbor is going to finish it properly for us, so it might be a couple years..lol

I also have sour cabbage in the freezer that should be made into cabbage rolls. But I think it can wait. Those would be great to bring camping though....mmmmmm.

So the goal is to empty this freezer as much as possible in the next week and a half and do a defrost on it, and wash it down. I do it twice a year, but it's so much easier when it's almost empty first..lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh good challenge! I'm in the same boat only it's pork! I started tonight with dinner and using up things in the freezer!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Found some frozen beans, used 1/2 the bag for supper.

Have some buns that are freezer burnt, thinking that I'll make them into bread crumbs.

Tomorrow is operation applesauce.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love the freezer challenges. I don't order meat in bulk, but I do tend to stock up and forget about it. I have been working on this for a while. Two days ago I took out the 3 pound chunk of ground beef and made hot dog chili (several servings to refreeze). I also cooked a turkey I got on sale and made several containers of diced turkey for pot pies etc. later. I made fried rice with frozen veggies, rice and some of the turkey tonight. I have saved about $150.00 on groceries this month by eating out of my freezer and still have tons left!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is a great challenge! I'm noticing things are started to get covered with ice crystals in our freezer... And it seems SO full!

I'm in! Need to get that taken care of! I don't want things to go bad...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Update...

So far, I pulled out a large container of frozen broth and used that as a base for a crockpot soup...also threw in a bunch of frozen veggies, so made a dent there, too!

Dh ate most of the hot dogs I had in the freezer (there are 2 left...I think I might throw those into mac'n'cheese).

Also, Dh has been taking the remaining hot pockets to work (he likes them and it's cheaper than him going out to eat with co-workers ...got them on sale with coupons!). Still have a few of the 2 packs left.

We've eaten 2 chicken breasts...and 2 lbs of ground beef.

Slowly, we're catching up with it all! It still looks REALLY full, though! hahaha

I'll pull a bit more out after we finish the crockpot of soup...it's about half full...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, the last of the hot dogs are gone! And the last of the chimichangas, too!

Dh has 2 more days (meals) of hot pockets for work...so he'll use those up this week.

I *think* I just pulled out the last of the chicken breasts...2 of them...they're now defrosting. That will be supper here soon...

Still have quite a bit to go...2 good sized chunks of corned beef, 2 lbs of ground beef (and a BUNCH of bread heels I froze to use with that for a meatloaf), various frozen veggies, butter, a couple smaller jars of base for soups...I can't list it all...

I'd like to use it all up and then just re-stock it all 'fresh' afterward... Making progress!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We raise our own steer for beef and I go through this every time we ship the steer. Seems like I always have a lot of soup bones and chuck roasts left which the food pantry is always happy to take.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, we didn't entirely dump the freezer, but made more than enough room for the side of beef. it was a young animal so a couple shelves was enough.

I did end up with 15 pints of apple rhubarb sauce that ds is going to adore.

ANd we're using the corn on the cob I put in last fall, we love sweet corn for camping, and can never get good stuff in May..lol. But the stuff frozen in September is amazing! ANd it was uber cheap too.

I have some sour leaves I want to make into cabbage rolls. The heads are taking lots of space. Those would be good camping too..lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2BeFrugal View Post

I'd like to use it all up and then just re-stock it all 'fresh' afterward... Making progress!
    This is my goal. I have so much in the freezer. Everything I have read says you should use up most everything you freeze within 6 months. Well, I am behind. I have eaten something out of the freezer every day for almost a month. I have fruit, veggies, breads, meats, desserts, microwave meals. I continue to work on this goal and congratulate everyone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been working on purging our freezer as well. I had hoped to use it all in May but it looks like I will be going into June working on the freezer!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

yet another month and not much activity. I figured I would post that I am once again focusing on this area of my stockpile. Anyone want to join in? We are going on vacation July 19. We will only be gone for one week. Nothing will spoil in the freezer in one week, but it is a goal. The freezer is full and I am short on money.

Tonight I made homemade pizza using some frozen sausage and leftover tomato sauce.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am working on this too.

It seems that it is taking me FOREVER to even make a dent in it. But boy have I saved on the grocery bill. The only time I go to the store is when I am out of milk....then I will get produce too. But have been trying to eat the produce out of the freezer first.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Must be the month of freezer purging. I've been working on it too. I taped my meal plan on the wall and we'll be cleaning out our freezer by sticking to it. YAY!

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Need to join this thread as my freezer is full to the brim as are both our drink refrig and house refrig. Over the spring I was given veggies every week by the case. I froze and froze and now have no room. Time to get things back on an even keel.

Laurie in Bradenton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast